alternative to soda besides water

Options

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Do not drink diet soda! That is even worse than regular soda! All the crap that is put into diet soda so it can be sugar free, calorie free, is even worse for you that if you were actually drinking the regular soda. If you drink the soda for the taste, its not bad if you drink soda every once in a while, just not every day. I was a soda addict! I had to completely cut it out, so I drink Tea. For me it was more about the carbonation though, so I'm missing that.

No, it really isn't. Stop fear mongering.
  • ACyclingAdmin
    ACyclingAdmin Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I drink a ton of topo chico, I like the mouthfeel of carbonation but can't stand the taste of most soda
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Diet soda with no caffeine? There are lots of options out there.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    diet soda, club soda with water flavouring, water with flavouring...

Water flavoring? is that an additive?

Yes it is...nesfruta or mio or cyrstal lite...all liquids I squirt into my water or clubsoda and vodka for low calorie drinks...
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Do not drink diet soda! That is even worse than regular soda! All the crap that is put into diet soda so it can be sugar free, calorie free, is even worse for you that if you were actually drinking the regular soda. If you drink the soda for the taste, its not bad if you drink soda every once in a while, just not every day. I was a soda addict! I had to completely cut it out, so I drink Tea. For me it was more about the carbonation though, so I'm missing that.

Care to share some of the research to back that up?

Anyway OP: Seltzer water with MIO (or any of the other water flavors) is pretty good. It gives you the bubbly of soda. Flavored seltzer water is also pretty good. Or switch to diet soda.
  • MinatoandClover
    MinatoandClover Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    If I really need a pop fix, I always drink diet pop. I try not to drink it too much because I feel I've gotten too dependent on it, and diet pop tends to have a lot of sodium, but if I really need specifically pop, the occasional diet pop is better than regular, at least if we're talking calories. In fact, this is probably a good way to go. The thing is, when we cut things entirely out of our diet, especially things we have on a regular basis, it can be very difficult to stay off them and we're more likely to cave. On the other hand, if you allow yourself a bit of diet pop every so often, or even a little regular pop (maybe on your cheat day, if you have one) then you'll be less likely to fall off the wagon when it comes to pop.

As for daily alternatives, however, I, personally, drink a lot of tea. Green teas with nothing in them are less acidic and milder than black teas, so that's what I personally tend toward. You might also be able to add a little honey and lemon, if you really need a sweet drink fix. (It's also great for a sore throat!)

I don't know what country you live in, but if you live in the US (or Canada, maybe?) there are these flavor shots that I, personally, like. They're called MiO. They come in many different flavors and they even have ones for energy and fitness purposes. And if you really feel like you want pop without actually drinking it, you can add one of these flavors to some carbonated water.

Or you could simply add a little bit of natural flavor to your water. Whenever I want water but feel that it's too plain, I always add a bit of lemon juice. I feel like it's a lot better than plain water. My mom likes to infuse her water with fruit. There are recipes for combinations for this which are easy to find. Basically, though, you can just dump a bunch of fruit into your water, and it should absorb some of the flavor. This is probably a bit of a higher-calorie alternative to some of the things I suggested above, but still not nearly as high-calorie or sugary as pop.

Hope this helps!
  • SezxyStef
    edited May 2015
    Options

@littleraskull why not? I drink a diet coke everyday and have been since my teens...I am fine.

So has my brother who has been a diabetic since he was 6...he's fine...actually in better health than most 48 yo diabetics as he has his kidney function, all his limbs and hasn't lost his eyesight
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

Yes it is...nesfruta or mio or cyrstal lite...all liquids I squirt into my water or clubsoda and vodka for low calorie drinks...

I have never thought of squirting this into vodka! I'm going to have to try this.

• SezxyStef
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »

I have never thought of squirting this into vodka! I'm going to have to try this.

It's the bomb...even the bartenders are like..."great idea" and that way you don't have to get flavoured vodka...plain vodka, ice, club soda and whatever flavour you prefer...

I am drinking coconut pineapple right now...
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    What the heck is wrong with plain unaltered WATER? I really don't get why all the great natural things available to us must be amended with flavorings. Drink plain cold water. On its own. I know people here think liquid is liquid and it doesn't matter, but I'll take the word of all the doctors who say plain unadulterated water is the very best thing for cleansing our systems.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Here we go....
  • davonbahr
    davonbahr Posts: 12 Member
    Options

Thanks for the inside
  • davonbahr
    davonbahr Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If I really need a pop fix, I always drink diet pop. I try not to drink it too much because I feel I've gotten too dependent on it, and diet pop tends to have a lot of sodium, but if I really need specifically pop, the occasional diet pop is better than regular, at least if we're talking calories. In fact, this is probably a good way to go. The thing is, when we cut things entirely out of our diet, especially things we have on a regular basis, it can be very difficult to stay off them and we're more likely to cave. On the other hand, if you allow yourself a bit of diet pop every so often, or even a little regular pop (maybe on your cheat day, if you have one) then you'll be less likely to fall off the wagon when it comes to pop.

As for daily alternatives, however, I, personally, drink a lot of tea. Green teas with nothing in them are less acidic and milder than black teas, so that's what I personally tend toward. You might also be able to add a little honey and lemon, if you really need a sweet drink fix. (It's also great for a sore throat!)

I don't know what country you live in, but if you live in the US (or Canada, maybe?) there are these flavor shots that I, personally, like. They're called MiO. They come in many different flavors and they even have ones for energy and fitness purposes. And if you really feel like you want pop without actually drinking it, you can add one of these flavors to some carbonated water.

Or you could simply add a little bit of natural flavor to your water. Whenever I want water but feel that it's too plain, I always add a bit of lemon juice. I feel like it's a lot better than plain water. My mom likes to infuse her water with fruit. There are recipes for combinations for this which are easy to find. Basically, though, you can just dump a bunch of fruit into your water, and it should absorb some of the flavor. This is probably a bit of a higher-calorie alternative to some of the things I suggested above, but still not nearly as high-calorie or sugary as pop.

Hope this helps!

I have heard bad things about MIO
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    davonbahr wrote: »

Hope this helps!

I have heard bad things about MIO

Such as?
  • mariannehgv
    mariannehgv Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You can use herbs to infuse water. The standard choice is mint, but basil might make for an interesting change.
  • SezxyStef
    edited May 2015
    Options
    What the heck is wrong with plain unaltered WATER? I really don't get why all the great natural things available to us must be amended with flavorings. Drink plain cold water. On its own. I know people here think liquid is liquid and it doesn't matter, but I'll take the word of all the doctors who say plain unadulterated water is the very best thing for cleansing our systems.

It's boring...I find it easier to brink my water with some flavour....so what....how is that different than squeezing lemon or lime juice in it...or adding ice? or berries or other fruit?????
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

All huh? Hmm my doctor said liquid is liquid...
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Those drink additives are great to toss in your gym bag

I don't like artificial sweeteners over the weird taste. I don't drink sugary sodas over empty calories. Just a personal choice

Do you think aspartame is safe? Or is it toxic?

See what the American Cancer Society has to say. Facts and internet hype don't always match up.

http://m.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/othercarcinogens/athome/aspartame
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

All huh? Hmm my doctor said liquid is liquid...

Lol...yes, that means I can pour some wine in my water bottle! Nice :)
  • 460mustang
    460mustang Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Put orange peels, coriander, cinnamon sticks, star anise, marshmallow root, ginger root, juniper berries, and whatever else in a jar. Fill the jar with 190 Everclear, let sit in cupboard for a month. Strain into another bottle, put a few dashes in ice cold water or cocktail. It's not sweet, that’s why the call it bitters.