Is it worth it to quit diet soda? Have you?

Options

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I don't know about quitting. I never drank any kind of soda and I just STARTED drinking diet soda for the first time in my life. I kind of like it now.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    I used to drink a couple cans worth of diet coke or coke zero a day, which was made easier by the fact my office kept a fridge stocked with the stuff. Being an Atlantan, it was almost treason not to drink Coke.

A couple years ago, I decided to stop drinking the colas. Were they doing me harm? Probably not, but they didn't do me much good either. I've found I've lost the taste for them, and considering how expensive soda drinks are now, I don't miss buying them. Eating out, I prefer water or tea now, because it doesn't compete with the flavor of the food (and the markup on soda in restaurants is redonkulous).

I still enjoy Coke Zero on occasion, but I'll go a few weeks at a time without any now and keep the money in my pocket.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,566 Member
    Options
    Diet soda is dumb. It tastes like *kitten* and reeks havoc with your insulin levels (worse than regular soda). Aspartame is disgusting. If you need liquids, drink filtered water. Does a body a lot more good than diet soda.

Orly?
    http://examine.com/faq/do-artificial-sweeteners-spike-insulin/

Yes they do I am not going to get into some *kitten* stupid *kitten* debate on this. It does. I know it does. I know within the confines of my brain that it does. It's common sense.
    Apparently you know more than the ADA (American Diabetics Association) who recommends diet soda as an alternative drink. If it wreaked havoc on insulin levels, why would they even bother mentioning it?
    You don't like it. Cool. But making inaccurate statements because you dislike it (for the sake of others on the public forums looking for an alternative) is disingenous.
    What Can I Drink?

Food often takes center stage when it comes to diabetes. But don't forget that the beverages you drink can also have an effect on your weight and blood glucose!

We recommend choosing zero-calorie or very low-calorie drinks. This includes:

Water
    Unsweetened teas
    Coffee
    Diet soda
    Other low-calorie drinks and drink mixes

You can also try flavoring your water with a squeeze of lemon or lime juice for a light, refreshing drink with some flavor. All of these drinks provide minimal calories and carbohydrate.
    - See more at: http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/what-can-i-eat/making-healthy-food-choices/what-can-i-drink.html?loc=ff-slabnav#sthash.egidvoQ3.dpuf

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• tomofnj
    tomofnj Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    When my wife was pregnant, each time the Doctor said NO DIET SODA. Apparently the sweeter and caffeine set off a small bomb and you immediately feel euphoria as your brain cells explode.

Me? I'm getting old, I need every one of mine... so water and plain black coffee, or just a little milk in it. Sometimes black or fruity tea, sometime pelligrino.

• evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options

Is there any reason I should quit drinking it besides some obscure websites on the internet saying it's bad for you? Has anybody here quit drinking it and felt better? Or different at all?
    Yes your teeth won't have much enamel left on them. Voice of experience here, I wish I'd have quit sooner than I did.
    I used to drink more than a six pack a day for several years (now down to just a couple a day) and my dentist says my teeth are perfect. And when I had my baseline bone density test, I was in the 75th percentile. Not all those dire predictions about drinking diet soda come true.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I tried the 10 calorie 7up, Sunkist and A&W Rootbeer this weekend. Not bad at all. For some the 2g of sugar in them might be enough to mask the aspartame taste.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It would be worth it to me because disgusting...I don't know how people stomach diet soda.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking diet soda for no particularly good reason - just stopped buying it and stopped having it with meals when I was out, or at the movies, or for the occasional mid afternoon caffeine jolt at work. Yesterday I bought one (fast food place - demanded a purchase in exchange for restroom lol) and I was absolutely astounded at how vile it tasted.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    It would be worth it to me because disgusting...I don't know how people stomach diet soda.
    When I first started drinking it years and years ago, after switching from regular soda, it took a few times to get used to it. Now regular soda seems too sweet for me and I when I actually drink it, I can't finish a whole can. Like anything else, it takes a little get used to.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I hear overweight people eat a lot of chicken too so maybe we should all avoid that as well, right?

Remember folks: correlation does not equal causation.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Aspartame does not wreak havoc on insulin levels. I tested for years. White rice on the other hand.....

ZERO benefit? How about hydration?
  • AmorAguacate
    AmorAguacate Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Only you will know it's worth it to you. Give cutting back a try if you want to experiment. See if makes a difference.
  • Myrnlvr
    Myrnlvr Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I went from about 2L a day of diet coke to an odd one here and there, and I find I enjoy it more when I have it but I am also getting way more water now that I have cut it out. I'd like to tell you that it made me lose 30 pounds, as I cut it out about 20 pounds into my weight loss, but there are so many other factors involved (minor things like massive diet changes and exercise ;) ). I can't tell you what eliminating it has done for me, as it wasn't the only change I was making. All I can tell you is that now (whether due to the reduction of diet coke or something else) I sleep better at night, I have fewer headaches, and I have fewer sweet cravings. I'd say try cutting back, see what happens.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    When my wife was pregnant, each time the Doctor said NO DIET SODA. Apparently the sweeter and caffeine set off a small bomb and you immediately feel euphoria as your brain cells explode.

Me? I'm getting old, I need every one of mine... so water and plain black coffee, or just a little milk in it. Sometimes black or fruity tea, sometime pelligrino.

Um...LOL.

Can you link thr study to that one

It's the caffeine they don't want you to have/limit during pregnancy. Same reason they recommend the switch to de'caf.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »

Um...LOL.

Can you link thr study to that one

It's the caffeine they don't want you to have/limit during pregnancy. Same reason they recommend the switch to de'caf.

Yep I've had three kids and it's caffeine you're supposed to cut back on, not soda/diet soda specifically. I limited my caffeine intake to two cans of regular coke a day during my pregnancies (I don't drink coffee and hadn't discovered tea at that point). No issues, three healthy pregnancies and babies :)
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I quit drinking diet soda a few months ago. Had about one diet coke every day. Now I feel so much better, no more bloated belly. It was pretty bad at times. I only drink water or tea. Took me a while to get used to.
  • atorina21
    atorina21 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    to replace my soda addiction (I craved the carbonation), I now drink Mineragua or carbonated water. I then mix any kool-aid flavor with some stevia to give me a calorie free carbonated beverage which makes me feel like i'm drinking the soda. It made the transition much easier!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Diet soda is dumb. It tastes like *kitten* and reeks havoc with your insulin levels (worse than regular soda). Aspartame is disgusting. If you need liquids, drink filtered water. Does a body a lot more good than diet soda.

Orly?
    http://examine.com/faq/do-artificial-sweeteners-spike-insulin/

Yes they do I am not going to get into some *kitten* stupid *kitten* debate on this. It does. I know it does. I know within the confines of my brain that it does. It's common sense.

Lmfao. It's actually common sense that diet soda DOES NOT wreck havoc on insulin levels. Hence why the ADA recommends diabetics drink diet soda. Please stop spreading misinformation. Thanks :)