Options
13»

Replies

• crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Assuming you're healthy, yup!
    I'm obese but am down 37lbs in 100 days just doing calorie counting. I find I'm eating fewer carbs by default because they tend to be calorie rich for me (oh how I can binge on pasta!) but I've not cut them out by any means! Feel free to pop through my diary if it's open!

ETA: I've been sick the past couple of days so they aren't normal for me.
  • fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Soopatt wrote: »
    I have days of just eating biscuits (and I will keep doing that), but it really is true that you are much hungrier on those days. I make a conscious decision - I really want to eat this chocolate or these biscuits, but I know I will be pacing the house starving late that night and will have to grit my teeth to keep from tucking into food beyond my calories. I need cast iron willpower on the days that I indulge in those things more than I need it when I don't, which sounds counter intuitive.

Don't let anyone shame you or scold you into only eating certain kinds of foods, but eating what you like has consequences you need to be aware of. With great power comes great responsibility.

On the health issue, I find that when I allow myself whatever I like (within calories) including sugar and junk, I soon enough cycle around to being in the mood for fruit and veggies. I doubt there is anyone on the planet who just wants to eat chocolate and carbs all day. Allow yourself to choose what you really want and it might often be something healthy! Life is too short and calories are too scarce to force down something you don't like.

True
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Soopatt wrote: »
    I have days of just eating biscuits (and I will keep doing that), but it really is true that you are much hungrier on those days. I make a conscious decision - I really want to eat this chocolate or these biscuits, but I know I will be pacing the house starving late that night and will have to grit my teeth to keep from tucking into food beyond my calories. I need cast iron willpower on the days that I indulge in those things more than I need it when I don't, which sounds counter intuitive.

Don't let anyone shame you or scold you into only eating certain kinds of foods, but eating what you like has consequences you need to be aware of. With great power comes great responsibility.

On the health issue, I find that when I allow myself whatever I like (within calories) including sugar and junk, I soon enough cycle around to being in the mood for fruit and veggies. I doubt there is anyone on the planet who just wants to eat chocolate and carbs all day. Allow yourself to choose what you really want and it might often be something healthy! Life is too short and calories are too scarce to force down something you don't like.

Nice post.

This is how I think of it. There's such a trade off if you eat non satiating foods that it will be a learning experience or something done rarely and people being mindful will learn what works for them and generally end up eating in a mostly healthful way.

But it's lovely to be able to see it as eating what one really wants and not avoiding "bad" foods.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    AprilAY3 wrote: »
    mizztara3 wrote: »
    So I've been reading a lot of posts on losing weight and it all having to do with calories and not necessarily what you are eating, just how many calories for the day or week. It doesn't get more basic than that, if you really think about it, but I'm having issues believing it, so I want confirmation :smile: So if I'm at 1400 calories, it doesn't matter how many carbs I have? I could have a ton of carbs every day, as long as I stay below my allotted calories? I'm having trouble with this because I've always lost weight doing low carb and would prefer eating what I want and looking at the calories. I also don't factor in exercise at all, even though I workout 6 days a week because I don't trust it. Anyways, I was just looking at how many carbs I've been having and I don't like it, so just want reassurance that it is ok. Thanks!

The first time around I did this and was miserable. Always super hungry!! I mean I lost the weight and was always under my calorie intake goal, but I was tired and hungry all day everyday.

The second time around (now), I'm paying a lot more attention to what I eat. Yes, still not going over my calorie intake goal for the day... but making sure I get my protein in, fats in, and not going overboard with my carb intake (don't cut it out completely!!!) has honestly helped me stay faithful to my lifestyle change. This time around I am not miserable and hungry all the time and I really think it is because of the foods I am eating :)

I agree with this. Also, you can be super thin and have terrible health, so I believe it's important to keep the sugar and starchy carbs to a minimum and eat plenty of fibrous foods, veggies, protein and healthy fats.

There is sugar in fruit and dairy, of course, which I consider healthy (and dairy is a nice source of protein).

But what I want to ask about here is why are starchy carbs unhealthy? They can be somewhat high in calories, so I agree with watching portion size, but they are common staple foods including in the healthiest traditional diets.

I tend to think of diets as too restrictive once people start claiming that eating potatoes or sweet potatoes or whole grains or legumes or oatmeal or rice (all starchy carbs) is going to contribute to "terrible health" or should be classified as "junk."

This is also why I always ask what people mean by "junk" as there's no way to tell. Yesterday when I asked someone it turned out she meant "wheat."

You can be healthy by generally paying attention to eating a balanced diet that contains enough of what we need. You don't at all have to be super restrictive.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    So I've been reading a lot of posts on losing weight and it all having to do with calories and not necessarily what you are eating, just how many calories for the day or week. It doesn't get more basic than that, if you really think about it, but I'm having issues believing it, so I want confirmation :smile: So if I'm at 1400 calories, it doesn't matter how many carbs I have? I could have a ton of carbs every day, as long as I stay below my allotted calories? I'm having trouble with this because I've always lost weight doing low carb and would prefer eating what I want and looking at the calories. I also don't factor in exercise at all, even though I workout 6 days a week because I don't trust it. Anyways, I was just looking at how many carbs I've been having and I don't like it, so just want reassurance that it is ok. Thanks!

Tis true! Eat whatever you like, as long as you have a calorie deficit, and it fits your macros. Weight comes off.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    As others have pointed out, at the end of the day it's CICO for weight loss.

But, as others have pointed out, what you eat can impact how hungry you are. Eating fats and proteins can help mitigate hunger. Carbs don't tend to "stick around long" and leave you feeling hungry sooner.
  • GBO323
    GBO323 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I've been CICO for 5 years and I've lost almost 80 pounds eating a mix of foods that are Carb Heavy, Fat Heavy, Sugar laden, etc. The main point is the Calorie Counting. Some MFP'ers also focus on the Macros (Like IIFYM) and I either lost solely on CICO, or accidentally hit my Macros without trying. I credit CICO.

The main success point is to be consistent. When I'm consistent, I lose the weight. When I get off-track, I gain it.

I hit Goal on 8/21/2014 and it shocks me and others that I did it eating Whoppers, Popeye's Chicken, and DQ Sundaes ever so often. It's not a DIEt, it's a new lifestyle.

Since I've mastered the "CI" part. Now I'm on the "CO" part. Get a FitBit, connect it up, and start moving more. I aim for 10K steps a day and it has really had a positive impact on satiety and keeping the plan intact.

5 years of data..that's worth something. Hope this helps.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Yes, it's fine. I eat a vary varied diet myself. I get my fruits and veggies in and fiber, and I always make sure to hit my protein for the day. I also eat donuts, pizza, chips, etc. Weight loss is very simply calories in calories out. People always try to complicate it, but if you have no other medical conditions, it is that simple. I've lost 90 pounds all while eating my favorite foods. I know it sounds too good to be true, right? I used to think the same thing, but it works. Once you realize this it can be very liberating. It was for me at least. Stay within your calorie limit, and you will be fine. :)

• LoveMyBabes3
    LoveMyBabes3 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I love carbs too but I find that I have to eat less food on the days I want to eat high carb meals. I can eat so much more by putting protein, fruits and veggies as a priority.