Men, what should a woman eat(or not) on the first date?

Options

Replies

• Jgasmic
    Jgasmic Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I try not to order anything too messy, just because I would be so focused on not making a mess that I couldn't pay proper attention to my date and the conversation. But if we're going to a place known for good burgers I will probably end up with burger juice running down my arm, but any guy I date needs to be ok with that because that's the real me. Just be yourself and order what you like.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Hi-
    I'm going on my first date with a new guy and I don't know what to order. I don't know exactly where we are going, but I'm asking not necessarily in regards to calories but more in regards to what I "should eat." Like what looks better- a salad or a burger?

Thanks!

Eat what you like! Lol
    But i think generally, Men would prefer women to order a Burger instead of the "cliche" Salad.
    I personally would never order a Salad.....unless i just wasn't hungry or as a side dish.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Eat what you love in the boundaries of common sense (i.e. not something that gives you a bad reaction or indigestion and not something so tricky for you personally to eat that you spend your date worrying about not making a mess instead of enjoying yourself).

About catering to the guy's ideas of what women should eat (provided he even has any)... Well, would *you* like to be with someone who lies and pretends and misleads you by doing what he thinks you like to make an impression? Just be yourself and own it.

(Edited for the spelling)
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Eat whatever you want at the time. Only reason to adapt your choice would be on the very slim chance he has a particular allergy to a food you're going to eat, and you think you might get at least a kiss by the end of the night, and that's only occurred to me because a former boyfriend had a terrible kiwi allergy and ended up in hospital because I drank a cocktail without knowing that, so that was not good. I pick what I want on a date because I insist on splitting the bill, or at the least buying the drinks if the guy is adamant he's buying the food. If he was going to pay, I'd go for something reasonably priced like another poster recommended, rather than the £45 steak.

If you're going to really worry about the choices you make in front of someone on a first date to this extent, if it develops into any kind of relationship you're already making a rod for your own back. I really doubt the guy will infer anything at all about your menu choice.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Seriously? Eat what appeals to you.

Though I generally avoid eating spaghetti in public.

I mean really, if a guy is going to judge you for what you choose to eat on a first date, why would you want a second one?

This. And I agree, I usually don't chose spaghetti on a first date just because I have not mastered eating it like an adult.

Ha!

I'm right there with you.

I know better than to go out for lunch with the office crew in a white shirt

It never ends well.

• JSurita2
    JSurita2 Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Hi-
    I'm going on my first date with a new guy and I don't know what to order. I don't know exactly where we are going, but I'm asking not necessarily in regards to calories but more in regards to what I "should eat." Like what looks better- a salad or a burger?

Thanks!

What looks better is a confident woman who knows what she wants (even to eat) and goes for it. :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    I have a few PERSONAL guidelines:

1. Don't eat anything stinky- personally I can't stand fish/ seafood or to be around anyone eating fish, baked beans, scramled eggs or blue cheese. Bleugh, but I would mention it beforehand.
    2. Good table manners are a must. Must use a knife and fork properly and not talk with mouth full. No elbows on the table etc.
    3. Have some knowledge and appreciation of wine. It's a turn off for me when a man doesn't know anything about wine. No sweet wine - unless with desert.
    4. Don't pig out. Guys who stuff themselves on a date are a turn off for me- especially if they are so full afterwards that they get gas and can't move etc. Personally I like to eat light on a date so I'm not too full for 'afterwards'.
    5. Don't 'feed' me. This grosses me out. Plus, taking food off my plate to try it- huge turn off.
    6. Don't get drunk and sloppy.
    7. Lastly- I'm being picky but I don't like it when a guy orders 'dainty' and 'sterotypically feminine' things- yes, it's just my perception. For example- ordering half a pint of larger or a hot chocolate with cream and marshmallows etc. It's just my taste but I like a 'real ale and bloody steak' kind of guy.

Oh, and I'm okay with splitting the cheque. You might think some of these things are common sense (table-manners etc.) but I've encountered them on dates in the past. I'm sure loads of people on here have some good horror stories- I'd love to hear them!

Of course, once I'm in a relationship (I'm married)- most of those 'guidelines' go out of the window.

Holy bejesus those are a crap ton of rules. Jeepers.

I know...wow...if these are the rules for eating out on the first date wth are the rules for sex....
  • ljmorgi
    ljmorgi Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Seriously? Eat what appeals to you.

Though I generally avoid eating spaghetti in public.

I mean really, if a guy is going to judge you for what you choose to eat on a first date, why would you want a second one?

Late to the party, but THIS.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    If he is paying, order something you like that is reasonably priced. If you are paying or both are splitting, order whatever you want.

This
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    My first date with my now husband consisted of this...

met at a coffee shop and he had coffee I had coffee and cheesecake and didn't share it...
    he still married me 11 months later...hehe
  • agartin
    agartin Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    My husband tells people he actually fell in love with me the first time we went to a restaurant together. He said I was the first girl he took on a date to actually order REAL FOOD and EAT... :p
  • dufus12
    dufus12 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I have a few PERSONAL guidelines:

1. Don't eat anything stinky- personally I can't stand fish/ seafood or to be around anyone eating fish, baked beans, scramled eggs or blue cheese. Bleugh, but I would mention it beforehand.
    2. Good table manners are a must. Must use a knife and fork properly and not talk with mouth full. No elbows on the table etc.
    3. Have some knowledge and appreciation of wine. It's a turn off for me when a man doesn't know anything about wine. No sweet wine - unless with desert.
    4. Don't pig out. Guys who stuff themselves on a date are a turn off for me- especially if they are so full afterwards that they get gas and can't move etc. Personally I like to eat light on a date so I'm not too full for 'afterwards'.
    5. Don't 'feed' me. This grosses me out. Plus, taking food off my plate to try it- huge turn off.
    6. Don't get drunk and sloppy.
    7. Lastly- I'm being picky but I don't like it when a guy orders 'dainty' and 'sterotypically feminine' things- yes, it's just my perception. For example- ordering half a pint of larger or a hot chocolate with cream and marshmallows etc. It's just my taste but I like a 'real ale and bloody steak' kind of guy.

Oh, and I'm okay with splitting the cheque. You might think some of these things are common sense (table-manners etc.) but I've encountered them on dates in the past. I'm sure loads of people on here have some good horror stories- I'd love to hear them!

Of course, once I'm in a relationship (I'm married)- most of those 'guidelines' go out of the window.

do you announce these rules prior to the date?? or is just on a hand out?

LMAO ......

But I am presuming she wasn't being totally serious........I sincerely hope not!

To OP - hopefully you will have the gist by now that you are worrying needlessly about what to order. I do think the general advice is stay away from the spaghetti though.
  • benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    On the first day with my now boyfriend we split a bunch of appetizers. Got some oysters on the half shell, truffle popcorn, and two lamb sliders. It was all delicous. I've never understood this whole idea that women should only order salads. I mean, yeah, I like salads and all but I also really enjoy other food. My favorite thing to do on dates is try new foods with my partner. Just get whatever you want. If a guy is going to judge you on something like that he's not someone worth spending time with.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    seriously?
  • headwind2015
    headwind2015 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I don't think what you eat is as important as how you eat it. Don't be a slob!
    Funny story on this topic: On one of my first dates with my girlfriend, a double date with her friends, we went to a burger place that served eggs with a runny yolk on top of the burgers. My girlfriend made a huge mess with the egg yolk running down her forearm. She didn't stop to clean herself off until after the meal and by that time the egg yolk had dried to her arms. It was so gross!! We, everyone at the table but my girlfriend, were mortified. We had all managed to eat our burgers without incident. After, she left for the bathroom to clean up; her friends hurriedly reassured me that this was out of character for her. I am glad I listened but I remember considering if that was going to be our last date.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    There are two sides to this I see.

One is if you eat something different just to impress the guy are you not lying or misleading them from the get go? Say you normally eat pasta and you decide to eat a burger just because your on a date, doesn't that seem misleading or shows a lack of confidence.

The other side I see is you don't want to spill food on you, them or the immediate area so I would maybe avoid things with sauces or soups or too much liquid. Also something that you use cutlery to eat if possible.

I always spill stuff. No matter how careful. Like a stray tiny peice of food will fall on me. And it won't just leave a small mark. This peice would be covered in sauce or oil and bounce and roll all the way down my front leaving a trail.

There's a difference between trying to eat something to prove something about who you are - or are not... verses trying to consioucs and make a good first impression.

I have a few foods that are off limits for first dates. Tacos are one of them- as is almost any sort of pasta dish. I'm a huge mess eating tacos- and spagetti is a mess. Burgers are a close second- but depends on the date. I dont' really like ribs/wings- but they are on my not approved list also. Quiet honestly- I almost always get steak when I go out- and that's pretty standard.

Trying to NOT look like a complete *kitten* on accident (which happens with some foods) is different than trying to look like you eat a certain way.

But all that being said- my first reaction was "seriously" a salad vs a burger? wtf. I know guys joke about women doing that- but I don't think I had actually heard of a woman actually DOING that. W.T.F.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Um, eat whatever you'd like... I'd probably avoid spaghetti and BBQ ribs though, for date #1 (Goes for men as well). A bit messy. Maybe even avoid spinach because it has a habit of getting caught in your teeth.