Ready-made polenta - now what?

sineadt84
sineadt84 Posts: 51 Member
I went looking for polenta the other day in an attempt to find low-carb alternatives to rice etc. for dinner. My supermarket only had ready made, which is a rather un-appetising looking yellow rubbery brick. The instructions are to slice and heat to serve. Anyone any ideas as to what I could serve it with?

Replies

• YellowApple666
    YellowApple666 Posts: 35 Member
    Oregano, tomato and mozzarella slices or any kind of cheese (put them in the oven for a few minutes so the cheese can melt)
    Mushrooms
    Pesto
    Lentils
    Basically, any pasta sauce or anything you would spread on bread will do the trick. :)

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Slice and pan sear for a crispy crust, top with sauce!
  • icck
    icck Posts: 197 Member
    Ooh interested in this, I bought some the other day.

I've only had it sliced and grilled with a tomato sauce on, or the other stuff in cakes ha.
  • sineadt84
    Thanks all, looking forward to experimenting :)
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Following because I'd like to try it because I can't eat wheat. I think it's pretty easy to make from scratch. I would wonder if you could make a polenta pizza crust ?
  • YellowApple666
    YellowApple666 Posts: 35 Member
    bbontheb wrote: »
    Following because I'd like to try it because I can't eat wheat. I think it's pretty easy to make from scratch. I would wonder if you could make a polenta pizza crust ?

Sometimes I use polenta as a pie crust and it's very good. I cook it with less water than I'd normally use. Not sure about pizza crust, I'm not a fan of pizza substitutes but on the other hand I love sliced polenta with tomato and mozzarella so it's worth a try :)
  • sineadt84
    I did see a recipe somewhere for pizza crust, I'll try and find it
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    I've had it with a chunky marinara sauce over it...
    OR with sautéed mushrooms on it

I've made creamy polenta from scratch (super easy) and had it with braised pork on it.

All delicious!
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    One time on a plane I was bumped to first class and the breakfast was polenta (first pan fried and browned) with a fried egg on it. It was super good too...
  • scr183
    scr183 Posts: 49 Member
    bbontheb wrote: »

My father has Celiac, and I've used it as a crust sub for him. It was messy as heck to eat, but he ate the whole thing that I served him, so I took that as a solid endorsement. :) I made it thick with some parmesan cheese folded in, then made sure it was really thoroughly chilled and kinda dried out before I put it in the oven. I prebaked it a bit before topping it and that seemed to work well, and a light spray of olive oil on top can help crisp it up further. Still definitely a knife-and-fork situation, though.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    suruda wrote: »
    One time on a plane I was bumped to first class and the breakfast was polenta (first pan fried and browned) with a fried egg on it. It was super good too...

This was a staple breakfast from my childhood, which I still make frequently. It's great with maple syrup.
  • sineadt84
    lporter229 wrote: »
    suruda wrote: »

This was a staple breakfast from my childhood, which I still make frequently. It's great with maple syrup.

That sounds amazing!!
  • sineadt84
  • sineadt84
    Baked polenta fries with tomato and garlic dipping sauce. Yum!
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    What!? That's amazing. I am going to try the sort of pizza crust ideas posted above. I think I'm hungry now though...
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Baked rounds topped w pesto @ mozzarella