Men, what should a woman eat(or not) on the first date?

Options

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    shell1005 wrote: »
    I have a few PERSONAL guidelines:

1. Don't eat anything stinky- personally I can't stand fish/ seafood or to be around anyone eating fish, baked beans, scramled eggs or blue cheese. Bleugh, but I would mention it beforehand.
    2. Good table manners are a must. Must use a knife and fork properly and not talk with mouth full. No elbows on the table etc.
    3. Have some knowledge and appreciation of wine. It's a turn off for me when a man doesn't know anything about wine. No sweet wine - unless with desert.
    4. Don't pig out. Guys who stuff themselves on a date are a turn off for me- especially if they are so full afterwards that they get gas and can't move etc. Personally I like to eat light on a date so I'm not too full for 'afterwards'.
    5. Don't 'feed' me. This grosses me out. Plus, taking food off my plate to try it- huge turn off.
    6. Don't get drunk and sloppy.
    7. Lastly- I'm being picky but I don't like it when a guy orders 'dainty' and 'sterotypically feminine' things- yes, it's just my perception. For example- ordering half a pint of larger or a hot chocolate with cream and marshmallows etc. It's just my taste but I like a 'real ale and bloody steak' kind of guy.

Oh, and I'm okay with splitting the cheque. You might think some of these things are common sense (table-manners etc.) but I've encountered them on dates in the past. I'm sure loads of people on here have some good horror stories- I'd love to hear them!

Of course, once I'm in a relationship (I'm married)- most of those 'guidelines' go out of the window.

Holy bejesus those are a crap ton of rules. Jeepers.

I know...wow...if these are the rules for eating out on the first date wth are the rules for sex....

Perhaps a longer hangout....I mean handout. :D
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,521 Member
    Options
    Order what you want. "Hiding" what you like to eat in order to impress someone doesn't do any good. Because later on if the relationship continues to develop, you'll eventually be just you and that person may start thinking "They weren't this way when I first met them".
    I'd rather just put it out there and let them know that this is how I am. Like me or dislike me, at least there's no confusion on how I like to eat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Hi-
    I'm going on my first date with a new guy and I don't know what to order. I don't know exactly where we are going, but I'm asking not necessarily in regards to calories but more in regards to what I "should eat." Like what looks better- a salad or a burger?

Thanks!

we really don't care...
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Hi-
    I'm going on my first date with a new guy and I don't know what to order. I don't know exactly where we are going, but I'm asking not necessarily in regards to calories but more in regards to what I "should eat." Like what looks better- a salad or a burger?

Thanks!

we really don't care...

I once went on a sushi date with a dude. Ordered a huge roll because I had just run 3 miles and was starving. His comment to me? "Wow, you sure do eat a lot." I laughed, finished my roll, and never spoke to him again.

OP, order what you like. And if some guy gives you a hard time about it, pay for your meal and take your delicious food and leave.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    Hi-

Thanks!

we really don't care...

I once went on a sushi date with a dude. Ordered a huge roll because I had just run 3 miles and was starving. His comment to me? "Wow, you sure do eat a lot." I laughed, finished my roll, and never spoke to him again.

OP, order what you like. And if some guy gives you a hard time about it, pay for your meal and take your delicious food and leave.

HA HA HA HA HA just one? and he commented? Dafuk... doesn't he know- we will *kitten* that fish right on up!!! Good for you for not going back to that one!

BF and I went to a new sushi place- and I ordered like 6 rolls and 12 pieces of sashimi (granted- their rolls were 8 pieces not 6- and the sashimi were giant slabs of fish over 3" long- that came in pairs- not singles)- it was absurd and way more than I could actually eat- nevertheless I bravely put a huge dent in it. I think I took 2.5 rolls home and half the sashimi- maybe? I dunno- it was close to 100$ worth of fish.

He has 2 spring salads and ONE avocado cucumber roll- and said holy crap I'm stuffed.

I just chuckled- he has the weirdest eating habits- but fortunately he's never a dick about how much I eat. Which is obviously a lot.

Besides- it's sushi- what was he expecting!

• jessica22222
    jessica22222 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Eat what looks good to you!! If a man judges you for what you eat on the first date...it would be good to know the first date because there wouldn't be a second.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    To eat on a date: Food
    To not eat on a date: Stuff that isn't food. Stuff that is food but that you feel self-conscious eating, for whatever reason.

Oh, and if someone had a bunch of rules for what I could eat (like telling me not to order fish because THEY didn't like it?) no second date. Because, seriously. No way.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    I have a few PERSONAL guidelines:

1. Don't eat anything stinky- personally I can't stand fish/ seafood or to be around anyone eating fish, baked beans, scramled eggs or blue cheese. Bleugh, but I would mention it beforehand.
    2. Good table manners are a must. Must use a knife and fork properly and not talk with mouth full. No elbows on the table etc.
    3. Have some knowledge and appreciation of wine. It's a turn off for me when a man doesn't know anything about wine. No sweet wine - unless with desert.
    4. Don't pig out. Guys who stuff themselves on a date are a turn off for me- especially if they are so full afterwards that they get gas and can't move etc. Personally I like to eat light on a date so I'm not too full for 'afterwards'.
    5. Don't 'feed' me. This grosses me out. Plus, taking food off my plate to try it- huge turn off.
    6. Don't get drunk and sloppy.
    7. Lastly- I'm being picky but I don't like it when a guy orders 'dainty' and 'sterotypically feminine' things- yes, it's just my perception. For example- ordering half a pint of larger or a hot chocolate with cream and marshmallows etc. It's just my taste but I like a 'real ale and bloody steak' kind of guy.

Oh, and I'm okay with splitting the cheque. You might think some of these things are common sense (table-manners etc.) but I've encountered them on dates in the past. I'm sure loads of people on here have some good horror stories- I'd love to hear them!

Of course, once I'm in a relationship (I'm married)- most of those 'guidelines' go out of the window.

Wow. I have some first date horror stories, but none of them involve men ordering the wrong wine or ladyfingers so I'm sure you wouldn't want to hear them.
  • Jaxxie1181
    Jaxxie1181 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »

Who made women feel they have to worry about this?

Other women. I've yet to meet a man who complained about what a woman ate on their dates. The craptastic, sexist mentality that women are supposed to eat like birds in front of men comes from other women. Our mothers. Our grandmothers. Women's magazines.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    Hi-

Thanks!

we really don't care...

I eat three rolls, soup and salad when I eat sushi. It's more than my boyfriend can usually eat. I know what you mean, you probably got a special roll and they're big but still..That's not "a lot".
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    OP eat whatever you want to eat.

Funny thing is I am going on a first date tonight and also trying to decided on what is for dinner. Trying to save enough calories if I need to.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Seriously? Eat what appeals to you.

Though I generally avoid eating spaghetti in public.

I mean really, if a guy is going to judge you for what you choose to eat on a first date, why would you want a second one?

This. And I agree, I usually don't chose spaghetti on a first date just because I have not mastered eating it like an adult.

I asked my mom the proper way to eat that in public for dates if I need that skill(in my teenage years). I rather eat something else all together.
  • arditarose
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

I mean really, if a guy is going to judge you for what you choose to eat on a first date, why would you want a second one?

This. And I agree, I usually don't chose spaghetti on a first date just because I have not mastered eating it like an adult.

I asked my mom the proper way to eat that in public for dates if I need that skill(in my teenage years). I rather eat something else all together.

Yeah...and come to think of it, I never eat spaghetti anyway because it's my least favorite pasta.

• MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I don't eat ribs or chicken wings in public (cuz I'm a beast in my own home), but I'm not out to impress anyone. If the guy asked me out, he already likes me.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    capnrus789 wrote: »
    If everything goes according to plan, she'll be gobbling my knob be the end of the night.

Well aren't you precious.
  • arditarose
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

Yeah...and come to think of it, I never eat spaghetti anyway because it's my least favorite pasta.

*removes arditarose from people to ask on dinner date*

Why? There are better pastas. And I'm not going to order it unless it was handmade in the restaurant anyway.
  • kristenmgraham
    kristenmgraham Posts: 88 Member
    Options

I don't think it's possible to eat spaghetti "like an adult"... :)