Scary Gym Moments!

Options

Replies

• daaaaaanielle
    daaaaaanielle Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    jlahorn wrote: »
    JONZ64 wrote: »
    ... luckily there were some Yoga pants to focus on, Whew!

Item #4 on the list of reasons many women are too afraid/intimidated to go to the gym...

Yeeeeah, gonna be honest here, for me that's practically #1. I don't care if you're stuck without headphones, I don't wear what I wear to the gym so that you can distract yourself by staring at me like I'm decoration. It makes me feel immensely self concious (at best) and it is not remotely nice. And no I do not care if you know women who're totally fine with it because the women you know don't speak for all women.

Guys, please keep your eyes to yourself when you're at the gym.

My contribution to the topic probably isn't as lighthearted as some other contributions on here (and related to what I just said there ^) but since we're using the word "scary", this was scary. My gym is a 24 hour gym and I live a 5 minute walk away so sometimes I end up in there at silly times of night because I prefer going when it's quiet. Most people keep to themselves late at night and that suits me fine. This particular night, there was a couple of guys in the weights area working out and when I went in, they decided to start making comments about me, staring at me, etc. Then when I tried to leave after completing my routine, they decided to stop me and wouldn't let me leave. Took me 10 minutes to get out of there and I ended up sitting in the changing rooms for a solid half an hour before I actually plucked up the courage to leave the gym entirely.

So yeah, that is why guys staring at me in the gym makes me (and other women) nervous. :)
  • vadersaysno
    vadersaysno Posts: 1,965 Member
    Options

Item #4 on the list of reasons many women are too afraid/intimidated to go to the gym...

Yeeeeah, gonna be honest here, for me that's practically #1. I don't care if you're stuck without headphones, I don't wear what I wear to the gym so that you can distract yourself by staring at me like I'm decoration. It makes me feel immensely self concious (at best) and it is not remotely nice. And no I do not care if you know women who're totally fine with it because the women you know don't speak for all women.

My contribution to the topic probably isn't as lighthearted as some other contributions on here (and related to what I just said there ^) but since we're using the word "scary", this was scary. My gym is a 24 hour gym and I live a 5 minute walk away so sometimes I end up in there at silly times of night because I prefer going when it's quiet. Most people keep to themselves late at night and that suits me fine. This particular night, there was a couple of guys in the weights area working out and when I went in, they decided to start making comments about me, staring at me, etc. Then when I tried to leave after completing my routine, they decided to stop me and wouldn't let me leave. Took me 10 minutes to get out of there and I ended up sitting in the changing rooms for a solid half an hour before I actually plucked up the courage to leave the gym entirely.

So yeah, that is why guys staring at me in the gym makes me (and other women) nervous. :)

That's definitely kind of scary. I'm glad you ended up being safe and nothing happening though. I try to be conscious of other people's work outs. I'm already self conscious about how I look and all in the gym, so I try not to watch other people. It is slightly distracting, however, when I'm on the treadmill or elliptical machine and some girl in those itty bitty tight volleyball-like workout shorts that's showing underbutt stops in front of my machine to chat with her friend. While I'm sure this isn't the case with you, sometimes you can tell when people are wearing something and acting a certain way just to get attention.
  • ACyclingAdmin
    ACyclingAdmin Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I used to workout on my lunch break and shower quickly before going back to the office. I forgot a towel and had to use paper towels to dry off...absolutely miserable....

Done that a few times. lol
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options

You DO realize the post was a Joke, I forgot my headphones and thought I'd make light of something that is basically annoying
  • JONZ64
    Options
    I fell off the treadmill once .. It was actually pretty funny for everyone else :(

This! and fell UP the stairs, yeah, all "Cool points" gone in an instant :)
  • daaaaaanielle
    edited June 2015
    Options

That's definitely kind of scary. I'm glad you ended up being safe and nothing happening though. I try to be conscious of other people's work outs. I'm already self conscious about how I look and all in the gym, so I try not to watch other people. It is slightly distracting, however, when I'm on the treadmill or elliptical machine and some girl in those itty bitty tight volleyball-like workout shorts that's showing underbutt stops in front of my machine to chat with her friend. While I'm sure this isn't the case with you, sometimes you can tell when people are wearing something and acting a certain way just to get attention.

Are you a fully grown adult human? If so, you have the willpower required to look, acknowledge that somebody looks good, then turn your attention immediately to whatever you're meant to be paying attention to at that moment in time. Regardless of what someone is wearing, you shouldn't be leering at them like a creep.

Everybody notices when somebody looks good, I am not by any means saying I don't see guys in the gym and think "he looks great", but the difference between acknowledging (in your head, of course) that someone looks good and being a creep is how long you spend acknowledging it.

Also, people would (and do) argue that anything worn to the gym by a woman that isn't a potato sack and baggy trousers has the potential to be distracting. I wear running tights to the gym because they're most comfortable for me and those have been called "distracting" plenty of times (ie in the OP's post where he said about yoga pants - my running tights don't fit any differently than yoga pants). As have my fitted tshirts, which are fitted because, again, that is the most comfortable for me. That's why I don't care for people who go "BUT SHE WAS WEARING THIS PARTICULAR TYPE OF CLOTHING!!!!".
  • daaaaaanielle
    Options

You DO realize the post was a Joke, I forgot my headphones and thought I'd make light of something that is basically annoying

Yeah it was just a joke when those guys cornered me when I was leaving as well. I got told that I should "lighten up" because it was just a compliment! Naaaaaaah.

Men DO stare at women in the gym and blame it on what we're wearing and it DOES make us immensely uncomfortable, that's why I don't find it funny and you shouldn't either if you have the remotest understanding of why it makes us uncomfortable.
  • PneumaVision
    PneumaVision Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    On a heavy deadlift, a PB attempt, I heard an awful crack-crunch sound as I completed the lift. It was a plastic cup, stepped on by someone behind me, someone I knew actually. Very funny, guys!
  • JONZ64
    Options
    Error4 wrote: »
    On a heavy deadlift, a PB attempt, I heard an awful crack-crunch sound as I completed the lift. It was a plastic cup, stepped on by someone behind me, someone I knew actually. Very funny, guys!

:) Perfect!
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    When I watched a power lifter have 500+ pound bench press slip from his hands and crush his chest. I ran over immediately to assist, but he passed out from the incident. Ambulance was called and he went to the ER. When I saw him the next time, he had broken his sternum, 4 ribs and a lacerated lung. And he was just 5'4" when he attempted that bench. With resistance bands.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

That person wins. I drove myself to the ER for them to not do a damn thing. At least I was able to drive there.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    TiaBia9 wrote: »
    Mine was when this guy started disrespecting my wife because she was using a machine that he had decided he had to have dibs on because he was doing a "power set". He had nothing over near the machine or anything and started being rude to her. I stepped around and told him he needed to tone it down. He backed up and looked at me and said "this isn't your business. You need to go back over there" (and pointed to the machine I had been using). I replied "no, what you need to do is stop disrespecting my wife". A crowd started to gather around and he took off his glasses and rolled up his fists and started walking towards me. Keep in mind, I'm not built very big- he was about 2 inches shorter but much more muscular. I just stood there staring him down....waiting...as he kept stepping closer. Seeing that I wasn't going to budge, he stopped and says "next time just ask and it will be fine". I looked dead in his eyes and said "yeah, thought so"...as he started walking away to the other side of the gym (back to where he had been), my wife just yells "p*ssy!!". I wouldn't say "scariest" but that's probably my most prominent gym moment.

Love that you stood up for your wife, and love that you didn't back down!

Thanks...she said she can take care of herself and doesn't understand why guys feel the need to go into "protection mode". That's just how I was brought up- not gonna let some d-bag talk to her like that.

What good man is not going to defend their wife. At least you didn't hit the guy. You showed some self control that I will need to work on for future things like your story.
  • vadersaysno
    Options

Also, people would (and do) argue that anything worn to the gym by a woman that isn't a potato sack and baggy trousers has the potential to be distracting. I wear running tights to the gym because they're most comfortable for me and those have been called "distracting" plenty of times (ie in the OP's post where he said about yoga pants - my running tights don't fit any differently than yoga pants). As have my fitted tshirts, which are fitted because, again, that is the most comfortable for me. That's why I don't care for people who go "BUT SHE WAS WEARING THIS PARTICULAR TYPE OF CLOTHING!!!!".

Looking and staring are two different things. I think you're also blowing things up a bit too much. I understand you had a really bad experience (and I acknowledged that and think it's awful), but now it seems that you're really taking that anger out on any man that even considers looking in your direction. Heck, someone may even just be looking around the room, but if his eyes pass you "OMFG he's totally looking at me and needs to stop!". Try to relax some, geez. Sorry hun, not everyone is checking you out. In fact, it's pretty easy to notice when someone has a bad attitude. People might actually look at you and NOT check you out, but just wonder what your problem is instead.

I could tell the humor in the initial guy's post. I've actually been in the car before and realized I've left my headphones at home. I've actually turned around to go back for them. Everything doesn't have to go back and relate to your unfortunate incident. Not every guy on here is an attempted rapist. Sorry to burst your bubble.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    kjauthier wrote: »
    Mine was when this guy started disrespecting my wife because she was using a machine that he had decided he had to have dibs on because he was doing a "power set". He had nothing over near the machine or anything and started being rude to her. I stepped around and told him he needed to tone it down. He backed up and looked at me and said "this isn't your business. You need to go back over there" (and pointed to the machine I had been using). I replied "no, what you need to do is stop disrespecting my wife". A crowd started to gather around and he took off his glasses and rolled up his fists and started walking towards me. Keep in mind, I'm not built very big- he was about 2 inches shorter but much more muscular. I just stood there staring him down....waiting...as he kept stepping closer. Seeing that I wasn't going to budge, he stopped and says "next time just ask and it will be fine". I looked dead in his eyes and said "yeah, thought so"...as he started walking away to the other side of the gym (back to where he had been), my wife just yells "p*ssy!!". I wouldn't say "scariest" but that's probably my most prominent gym moment.

Good for you, nothing worse than some roided up idiot posturing.

Was it a douchey move for the guy to disrespect his wife and think that he owns all the gym equimpent... absolutely but , but so is judging people, name calling and assuming that everyone that has muscles is "roided up" . Carry on.

• vadersaysno
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    TiaBia9 wrote: »

Love that you stood up for your wife, and love that you didn't back down!

Thanks...she said she can take care of herself and doesn't understand why guys feel the need to go into "protection mode". That's just how I was brought up- not gonna let some d-bag talk to her like that.

What good man is not going to defend their wife. At least you didn't hit the guy. You showed some self control that I will need to work on for future things like your story.

I won't ever take the first swing. Someone else swings first it becomes self-defense. :smile:
  • curlytoes79
    curlytoes79 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I've fallen off the treadmill. A couple of times. I'm not even a huge gym-goer, just a huge klutz.
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Thinking it was a fart.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    My scariest gym moment was doing X walk's with a band, snapped and flew up and hit me in the eye. Not good, eye didn't stop watering for 4 days, Dr. visit, and a sweet scratch in it.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options

Looking and staring are two different things. I think you're also blowing things up a bit too much. I understand you had a really bad experience (and I acknowledged that and think it's awful), but now it seems that you're really taking that anger out on any man that even considers looking in your direction. Heck, someone may even just be looking around the room, but if his eyes pass you "OMFG he's totally looking at me and needs to stop!". Try to relax some, geez. Sorry hun, not everyone is checking you out. In fact, it's pretty easy to notice when someone has a bad attitude. People might actually look at you and NOT check you out, but just wonder what your problem is instead.

I could tell the humor in the initial guy's post. I've actually been in the car before and realized I've left my headphones at home. I've actually turned around to go back for them. Everything doesn't have to go back and relate to your unfortunate incident. Not every guy on here is an attempted rapist. Sorry to burst your bubble.

My feeling on what the poster is saying is NOT that every guy is an attempted rapist, and I don't think that she thinks that every guy is staring at her being a creep.

Women, in general, have been told that our bodies are distracting, that we're *kitten* up your life and you can't concentrate in math class (or at the gym, or wherever) because our pants are tight or our shoulders are showing, or whatever. How about society drops the idea that women are responsible for what men think about at any given time? Bootie shorts are only distracting if you let them be.

I can see a dude with a great body and then MOVE ON. It doesn't stop me from learning/working/lifting weights. It should be the same for men. And if you're response is that you're able to do that too, then change the way you talk about it.
  • daaaaaanielle
    edited June 2015
    Options

Dude, I specifically said there is a difference between looking at someone and staring at someone and that it is specifically staring that makes women uncomfortable, not a glance in our general direction. I also don't recall saying that LITERALLY ALL MEN ARE CHECKING ME OUT. 0/10 for reading comprehension there.

@Katiebear_81 hit the nail on the head so I don't think I was unclear with what I was saying.

So perhaps you're just a little bit touchy about this? If you get so riled up as to try and totally misrepresent what was said as if it was an attack on you, perhaps thou doth protest too much?
  • yopeeps025
    edited June 2015
    Options

Dude, I specifically said there is a difference between looking at someone and staring at someone and that it is specifically staring that makes women uncomfortable, not a glance in our general direction. I also don't recall saying that LITERALLY ALL MEN ARE CHECKING ME OUT. 0/10 for reading comprehension there.

What if staring is mutual appreciation?