Low-Carb, High Fat...But how much fat?

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    wabmester wrote: »
    wabmester wrote: »
    Your doctor got it exactly right and actually told you how much fat to target. Let's do the math:

1200 calorie goal
    50g carbs = 200 calories
    90g protein = 360 calories

So, that leaves 640 calories remaining, which means about 70g of fat. But as your doc told you, fat is not a target -- just eat enough to fill out your calories or until your hunger is satisfied.

explain to me how your "sugar starch metabolism will break you fat burning metabolism"?

Not sure I can parse that, but are you saying you don't understand how insulin mediates lipolysis?

no, I want to know how OP's fat burning metabolism is broken.

OP appears to be alive and the only way I know for your metabolism to be broken is to die.

It was a poor choice of words on her part. She was just trying to be sensitive and help explain it to me in a way I could understand. I think what she meant was that my sugar-starch metabolism was not efficient for me. It wasn't helping me to burn fat.

do you have a medical condition that makes you sensitive to carbs?
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Oh, I see. If your face is broken, it probably still works, but it might not work well. Same thing with fat metabolism. You'll get more lipolysis with lower insulin levels. But the full effects of a LCHF diet are difficult for some people to understand, so simple metaphors like "broken" and "fix" are used.

Who really wants to know about how insulin sensitivity is increased, ghrelin is reduced, leptin sensitivity is increased, and high-energy ketone bodies are produced?
  • MaconMagnolia1852
    MaconMagnolia1852 Posts: 9 Member
    Thanks everyone. If anyone wants to add me, that would be great. I have not gotten any support for the most part from people I know IRL. My friends say this diet is stupid, dangerous, etc, because they don't understand. They say there is no way I can lose weight eating bacon, eggs, cheese. And they think not eating carbs is the end of the world and going to kill me somehow? IDK, it's just really hard and discouraging to get all of this backlash, when I'm already dealing with being very overweight and nervous enough about trying to lose it without all of the negativity people are throwing on me. And sorry if I sounded stupid. This is all very new to me. My doctor is very good, it's just that I think she was trying to be sensitive with the whole "this is not entirely your fault" stuff, as she primarily deals with helping heavy patients lose weight, and often sees people (myself, included) cry (bawl like a baby) in her office. She said I do have a health issue with my thyroid, and so this would be the best for me. I think the way she explained it to me just sounded strange, because when she said that about the sugar-starch metabolism, she was trying to tell me that she was going to tell me the opposite of what I've probably always been told to do, and just to trust her, but some people can eat sugars and starches, and it doesn't affect them like it does me, etc. She's really great. If anyone lives in NC and needs a good dr that does endocrinology/diabetes/thyroid disorders and medical weight loss, her name is Theresa Amerson and City Center Medical Group in Raleigh.

If you have thyroid issue then you should take medication to regulate your thyroid and eat in a calorie deficit to lose weight.

Do you also have diabetes and/or some form of insulin sensitivity?

I don't have diabetes yet, but I'm at risk. I'm close to the abnormal range when tested, and have a huge family history. My father passed of diabetes, and my mom and half-sisters are the only people in my family who seem to not have it. My mom's and dad's families all have it, and so my doctor is trying to help me prevent it.
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    edited June 2015
    Honey, your doctor sucks. It's irresponsible to tell you to eat low-carb, high-fat and not make sure you understand how to do it. Also, if she said "broken sugar-starch metabolism", that's absurd. It sounds like she was trying to break things down into layman's terms for you, but wtf?

That said, I do eat LCHF, so if you do decide to give it a try, you can find much more information here: http://www.reddit.com/r/keto. Also, this is a great calculator: http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/. Finally, please make sure you read up on supplementation, to make sure you are getting enough electrolytes.

• Shotglass71
    Shotglass71 Posts: 2 Member
    I agree that 1200 kcal seems a tad low. If you really want to figure out your macros and minimum/maximum caloric intake then you should figure out your bmr and activity level then add in a calorie deficit, although it's a bit more complicated than that. (g of protein to sustain lbm, etc) If you'd like then please feel free to send me a pm through here and I can help you do some calculations to get you on track.

IMO, you'll want to ignore this comment:
    sigh if your doctor told you that you need to activate your "fat burning metabolism" you may want to consider a new dr...

do you have some kind of medical condition?

While it's true that your "fat burning metabolism" isn't broken, the standard american diet typically includes in excess, often way in excess, of 200g of carbs per day which severely hampers ones ability to burn fat and may lead into a host of other, diet related diseases. IMO, it's great to hear of a physician offering advice to change that type of a diet, even if it isn't very specific advice.

so your saying that a person with no medical condition that eats 200 grams of carbs and is in a 500 per day calorie deficit will not burn fat?

Please don't misquote me: I wrote
    severely hampers ones ability to burn fat
    not
    will not burn fat?
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Thanks everyone. If anyone wants to add me, that would be great. I have not gotten any support for the most part from people I know IRL. My friends say this diet is stupid, dangerous, etc, because they don't understand. They say there is no way I can lose weight eating bacon, eggs, cheese. And they think not eating carbs is the end of the world and going to kill me somehow? IDK, it's just really hard and discouraging to get all of this backlash, when I'm already dealing with being very overweight and nervous enough about trying to lose it without all of the negativity people are throwing on me. And sorry if I sounded stupid. This is all very new to me. My doctor is very good, it's just that I think she was trying to be sensitive with the whole "this is not entirely your fault" stuff, as she primarily deals with helping heavy patients lose weight, and often sees people (myself, included) cry (bawl like a baby) in her office. She said I do have a health issue with my thyroid, and so this would be the best for me. I think the way she explained it to me just sounded strange, because when she said that about the sugar-starch metabolism, she was trying to tell me that she was going to tell me the opposite of what I've probably always been told to do, and just to trust her, but some people can eat sugars and starches, and it doesn't affect them like it does me, etc. She's really great. If anyone lives in NC and needs a good dr that does endocrinology/diabetes/thyroid disorders and medical weight loss, her name is Theresa Amerson and City Center Medical Group in Raleigh.
    If you are already very overweight, 1200kcal a day is probably not enough. Definitely try the calculator: http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/.

• MaconMagnolia1852
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I'm a little worried about you only getting 1200 calories unless you are short. Why don't you plug your stats into http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/my_goals and let us know what the system tell you that you should get?

Thanks. I'm almost 5'10, so I'm not really short. MFP recommended the following (obviously the macro ratio is off until I set my percentages). There is honestly no way I could eat that many calories though, because I feel so full with this lifestyle. I am sometimes a BIT over 1200, but I don't think I could eat 1910 every day. Net Calories Consumed* / Day 1,910 Calories / Day
    Carbs / Day 239.0 g
    Fat / Day 64.0 g
    Protein / Day 96.0 g
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    I think she was just trying to explain it in a way that I could understand and accept. I was very emotional...and I'm studying to be a dentist, not an MD, so, while I have some understanding of these things, I'm still pretty confused about much of it. So she was just trying to help me. We can maybe agree that her wording wasn't the best, or most scientific...I'm willing to give her a pass on that Elphie754. But she has an md, and specializes in this, so I trust her to have a good understanding of the human body. I'm legitimately curious as to why you think she is wrong. I would love to hear your thoughts.

I'm sorry but no. There are ways to explain things in what are called "layman's" terms. However, she basically to you something the human body just doesn't do. There is no carb vs fat burning mode of body. If she said there is, I would honestly question her ability to care for someone. Just because some has an MD does not mean they are never wrong.
  • pedidiva
    pedidiva Posts: 199 Member
    google keto calculator
  • MaconMagnolia1852
    ketorach wrote: »
    Honey, your doctor sucks. It's irresponsible to tell you to eat low-carb, high-fat and not make sure you understand how to do it. Also, if she said "broken sugar-starch metabolism", that's absurd. It sounds like she was trying to break things down into layman's terms for you, but wtf?

That said, I do eat LCHF, so if you do decide to give it a try, you can find much more information here: http://www.reddit.com/r/keto. Also, this is a great calculator: http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/. Finally, please make sure you read up on supplementation, to make sure you are getting enough electrolytes.

Thank you! This has been super helpful! I am checking all of these out.
  • ndj1979

If you have thyroid issue then you should take medication to regulate your thyroid and eat in a calorie deficit to lose weight.

I don't have diabetes yet, but I'm at risk. I'm close to the abnormal range when tested, and have a huge family history. My father passed of diabetes, and my mom and half-sisters are the only people in my family who seem to not have it. My mom's and dad's families all have it, and so my doctor is trying to help me prevent it.

In all honesty, you should just be able to use MFP to lose weight and not worry so much about carb intake.

I would suggest trying the following.

Put your stats into MFP and set it to one pound per week loss.
    get a food scale and weigh all your solids.
    log everything that you eat into MFP.
    find something you like to do - waling maybe? - and move more < this is not necessary but is good for overall health.
    eat nutrient dense foods like vegetables, fish, chicken, lean meats, rice, etc, but don't be afraid to incorporate some treats that you like.
    set your macro percent's to 35% fats/35% protein/30% carbs.

try this for a month or two and see how it goes.

that is my .02

• ndj1979
    I agree that 1200 kcal seems a tad low. If you really want to figure out your macros and minimum/maximum caloric intake then you should figure out your bmr and activity level then add in a calorie deficit, although it's a bit more complicated than that. (g of protein to sustain lbm, etc) If you'd like then please feel free to send me a pm through here and I can help you do some calculations to get you on track.

IMO, you'll want to ignore this comment:
    sigh if your doctor told you that you need to activate your "fat burning metabolism" you may want to consider a new dr...

do you have some kind of medical condition?

While it's true that your "fat burning metabolism" isn't broken, the standard american diet typically includes in excess, often way in excess, of 200g of carbs per day which severely hampers ones ability to burn fat and may lead into a host of other, diet related diseases. IMO, it's great to hear of a physician offering advice to change that type of a diet, even if it isn't very specific advice.

so your saying that a person with no medical condition that eats 200 grams of carbs and is in a 500 per day calorie deficit will not burn fat?

Please don't misquote me: I wrote
    severely hampers ones ability to burn fat
    not
    will not burn fat?

OK ...person A eats 200 grams of carbs and is in 500 cal deficit; person b eats 100 grams of carbs and is in 500 cal deficit. Both eat same amount of protein. who will lose more fat?
  • MaconMagnolia1852
    That's awesome! Keep up your hard work! I get confused on all this macro stuff too.
    Okay Here's what I'm doing - and it's working so far although next week I am lowering my calories per my trainer. And as I understand it I will eventually plateau so the calories will gradually get less over time. I'm 6 weeks in and down 12-13 lbs. walking 30-45 min every day and lifting 3x a week.

Eating primal-ish....and although most days I do go over my calories and usually end up at 1800- I'm still losing. Slow and steady!
    So next week I will aim to not go over 1700 for the next 6 weeks. Hoping I don't notice because I totally get hungry.. What can I say I love to eat!

I don't think I could do 1200. How do you feel on 1200?w5k3kmtmhjmh.jpg

Thank you so much!! And thank you for the positivity, too! I came to these boards because I thought it would be a safe place with no negativity (I get enough of that from the people I am surrounded by daily). Thank you for being so kind and helpful!
  • pedidiva
    pedidiva Posts: 199 Member
    insulin medicated lipogenesis. Insulin drives fat into storage. This may be what your doc was trying to say--perhaps your carbs are going into fat storage (insulin resistance) and can't be utilized by the body as efficiently as it could in the past. By going Low carb, higher fat--you are in essence burning the fat stores kin ylur biody more efficintly as you are bypassing insulin.

This guy explaines it very well

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=butter+will+make+your+pants+fall+off&qpvt=butter+will+make+yoour+pants+fall+off&FORM=VDRE#view=detail&mid=2B6ECB84A89501A35BAF2B6ECB84A89501A35BAF
  • NicoleSimmons2015
    NicoleSimmons2015 Posts: 11 Member
    Yay! So glad I could share at least what I am doing. I am new to this as well. The nutrition aspect is definetly confusing. I feel SO much better 6 weeks in. Just go with what works for you and listen to your doctor and see how your body responds. Once your metabolism kicks in watch those lbs come off slow and steady and enjoy it!
    I am loving it! New workout clothes - Whoohoo!!

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    That's awesome! Keep up your hard work! I get confused on all this macro stuff too.
    Okay Here's what I'm doing - and it's working so far although next week I am lowering my calories per my trainer. And as I understand it I will eventually plateau so the calories will gradually get less over time. I'm 6 weeks in and down 12-13 lbs. walking 30-45 min every day and lifting 3x a week.

Eating primal-ish....and although most days I do go over my calories and usually end up at 1800- I'm still losing. Slow and steady!
    So next week I will aim to not go over 1700 for the next 6 weeks. Hoping I don't notice because I totally get hungry.. What can I say I love to eat!

Thank you so much!! And thank you for the positivity, too! I came to these boards because I thought it would be a safe place with no negativity (I get enough of that from the people I am surrounded by daily). Thank you for being so kind and helpful!

So telling you that your doctor may be confused when it comes to nutrition, because what they said makes no sense, and you should possibly seek out a second opinion, is being negative?
  • ndj1979
    elphie754 wrote: »

So telling you that your doctor may be confused when it comes to nutrition, because what they said makes no sense, and you should possibly seek out a second opinion, is being negative?

I was thinking this too...
  • MaconMagnolia1852
    No, I am specifically referring to those who are against LCHF lifestyle. And thanks, pedidiva. he really does do a great job of explaining.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I'm a little worried about you only getting 1200 calories unless you are short. Why don't you plug your stats into http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/my_goals and let us know what the system tell you that you should get?

Thanks. I'm almost 5'10, so I'm not really short. MFP recommended the following (obviously the macro ratio is off until I set my percentages). There is honestly no way I could eat that many calories though, because I feel so full with this lifestyle. I am sometimes a BIT over 1200, but I don't think I could eat 1910 every day. Net Calories Consumed* / Day 1,910 Calories / Day
    Carbs / Day 239.0 g
    Fat / Day 64.0 g
    Protein / Day 96.0 g

Yes, you can eat 1910 a day, and quite easily on keto, because you have butter, cream, cheese, eggs, and oils at your disposal. Every gram of fat is 9 calories, and the largest portion of your diet is meant to consist of fats. I suggest you go to the calculator that's been linked for you a few times already (mfp's isn't all that accurate), and the LCD group, which was given to you in the very first reply. The majority of posters in the main forums do not have the knowledge to correctly answer your questions beyond "be in a deficit."
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member

If you're prediabetic it makes sense to listen to your doctor.
This discussion has been closed.