Anyone want to join me with having a 'dry' May?

Options
1235»

Replies

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    When I started getting back into shape I stopped drinking, not really intentionally, but the desire to lose weight overrode my desire for alcohol. Now that I'm achieving my goal I have taken a drink or two (curiously aligning with my plateaus). Metabolically there are two substances which severely inhibit stored fat burning - alcohol and caffeine. On a macro scale this isn't nearly as much of a factor, but another interesting tidbit in the science behind nutrition.
  • gemmamummy
    gemmamummy Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I started a dry year on Xmas day 2014, due to hangovers affecting my ability to weight train.....5 months in and still going strong. Good luck people who are doing dry May. I've still got another 7 months to go
  • amyf2000
    amyf2000 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've mostly sucked at this, but haven't drank since last Saturday. Reached my ultimate goal weight yesterday - when I'm not drinking, weight falls off. Last night I had a normal Friday night out with friends and didn't drink! Seriously, virgin Moscow mules taste just like the real thing! I bought the SMART recovery book and have been reading it. I think it's helping me. Taking it one day at a time, but I'm happy about these small victories!
  • travpsu1
    travpsu1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Wish I'd seen this earlier but I think I'll pick up on the idea and try it in June. It'll be hard, the local bar is my alone time. But I'll give it a try
  • JamieIveyMahaffey
    JamieIveyMahaffey Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    madebs666 wrote: »
    Looking back through my diary since January, there is one major thing holding me back and causing me problems, Alcohol! Even being fairly careful and only having a few beers and then moving onto spirits with no sugar mixers can cause me to add a full meals worth of calories to the day and if I'm hungover the next day I end up overeating as well (I lose the will to cook and an almost medical need for greasy food). I have tried cutting down during the week to make up for the weekend (my diaries open if you want to see what I mean) but I'm not feeling it's quite worth it.

So starting from the 4th May, I'm not going to let one drop of alcohol pass my lips and see how that affects my weightloss.

Anyone with me?
    May is almost over....and I hope you are on your way. You want to go for June? I have cut back but would like to cut back some more. It's funny how beer taste different now when I haven't had one in a while.
  • Alpha12
    Alpha12 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    May is almost over....and I hope you are on your way. You want to go for June? I have cut back but would like to cut back some more. It's funny how beer taste different now when I haven't had one in a while.
    [/quote]

I didn't do very well in May, but I am going for June. I'm getting a head start and my dry June will start today.
  • JamieIveyMahaffey
    Options
    It's a holiday today....I'll start tomorrow. :smiley:>:)
  • dawnrpurvis
    dawnrpurvis Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    So, thats it, May is over! Thank goodness for that.

I think this saturday was the worst day for me, I had a bunch of the bridal party over to help with DIY decorations for the wedding, and I was getting other people drinks, including beer/cider! Then a few of them stayed until late and we were playing board games and generally having fun and it was incredibly tempting to join in with the drinking too, I do enjoy getting a bit tiddly with my friends.

However I can proudly say that I have not had one alcoholic beverage this month, however I did accidentally let a drop pass my lips as I over-poured a friends drink and it went onto my hand and I automatically licked my hand, but I don't think that really counts...

I can't decide when to have my first beer, whether to have it tonight just because I can or to leave it until the party we have planned this weekend, decisions, decisions!

So how did everyone else do?
  • JamieIveyMahaffey
    Options
    I'm ready....
  • javame
    javame Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I just found this thread, I'm in for June!
  • jabrams1955
    jabrams1955 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    javame wrote: »
    I just found this thread, I'm in for June!

• jabrams1955
    jabrams1955 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I was MIA but I could try again for June!
  • MackNorris
    MackNorris Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Rarely drink either, but sometimes it helps to replace one unhealthy habit or addiction with a healthy one like exercise. Not sure if you'll benefit from this but others might.