fat vs water weight?

Options

Replies

• wannabeskinnycat
    wannabeskinnycat Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    This is a great post. A question I've thought but felt was too daft to ask. Glad you threw it out there.

And on a side note - some of these posts made me laugh. Especially 'do you know who I am?' And I won't try to explain as you won't get it. I'm gonna patronise my man with that line next time we argue. Hahaha

• Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    This is a great post. A question I've thought but felt was too daft to ask. Glad you threw it out there.

And on a side note - some of these posts made me laugh. Especially 'do you know who I am?' And I won't try to explain as you won't get it. I'm gonna patronise my man with that line next time we argue. Hahaha

I had to laugh, thanks for that. Sometimes we all need to laugh a little more...so good for us!
  • Jonestiarra2013
    Jonestiarra2013 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I didn't mean to cause an argument guys! This is a place where we should all come together without judgement but I appreciate everyone's input
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Maybe someone should have spent less time developing critical thinking skills and a little more time working on interpersonal and social skills.

:sunglasses:
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    This thread has run it's course imo
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I didn't mean to cause an argument guys! This is a place where we should all come together without judgement but I appreciate everyone's input

OP, you can learn a LOT in these forums, but know that this kind of stuff happens ALL the time. It has nothing to do with you :). As long as you don't let it bother you, there's a bunch of great information.

• Jonestiarra2013
    Jonestiarra2013 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »

OP, you can learn a LOT in these forums, but know that this kind of stuff happens ALL the time. It has nothing to do with you :). As long as you don't let it bother you, there's a bunch of great information.

I've seen OP a lot in this community what does it stand for?
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »

I've seen OP a lot in this community what does it stand for?

Original Poster. In this case, that's you :smile:
  • wannabeskinnycat
    wannabeskinnycat Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Original poster :)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,643 Member
    Options
    OP stands for original poster or original post
  • PAV8888
    Options
    I guess I will chime in since no one else has explicitly mentioned the following so far.

When you lose water weight you are not necessarily getting dehydrated :smile:

When you exercise one of the first sources of energy that gets utilized by your muscles are their "ready reserves".

The ready reserves consist of (desperately googling) about 400g of glycogen in your muscles (and another 100 in your liver).

The glycogen gets created when (excess) carbohydrates in your diet are processed by the liver and converted to glycogen. Each carbohydrate gram is bound with almost 3g of water during this process.

So when the glycogen is eventually consumed, each gram of carbohydrate that gets used also releases the associated amount of water.

And if you eat a low carb diet and exercise and you follow that up with a high carb diet, you may inadvertently trigger glucogen "supercompensation", which will allow you to store excess glycogen and thus "gain" even more water weight (something that happens commonly when people who low carb eat "too many" carbs)

And since most of us have issues with: hormones, salt intake, poop we didn't poop on time, and varying stores of glycogen, it pays to actually weigh yourself every day at the same time and under the same conditions AND to record that weight in such a way that you end up with a "trendline" that eliminates the noise and shows you what is happening with your weight as a trend as opposed to a daily number you react to.

You can use applications such as www.weightgrapher.com, www.trendweight.com, something called happy scale on an iphone, or Scooby's excel spreadsheet: http://d16kc6rd0714uz.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/AccurateWeightCharting.xls to record your weight and figure out how much weight you're really losing.

Scooby's article about weighting yourself and digital scale issues is passably interesting :smile: http://scoobysworkshop.com/how-to-weigh-yourself-accurately/

OF course, none of this will tell you whether you are burning fat or muscle, but at least you'll have a better idea of how much you're burning away :smiley:
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Well I'm an astronaut green beret cowboy president doctor and I says it's water weight.

Balance is restored.
  • PAV8888
    edited June 2015
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Oh come on guy. You could have given her a little more time to come back.
    I apologize to the chiwawa :smiley:
    To my defence: she did have more than a couple of hours to come back; plus, you need your beauty sleep, and, like, it's past 10pm on the east coast! :smiley:
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I shouldn't even respond anymore, because it's obvious everyone commenting thinks I'm rude and a dumb nurse with no cridentials.
    However the last comment about daily weights was made and I have to completely agree because that's what I mentioned in one of my first comments. However I was shot down because "real life doesn't function like a hosptial." I only have one reality, and if it works for sickies, it must work for everyone. Everything I understand about fluid volume excess and deficit states we are in constant fluctuation...for all the reasons mentioned. So many factors right? Glycogen like you've stated, pth, aldosterone, cortisol, the presence and absence of certain disease process...etc. etc.etc.
    With that said, I guess the only true way to measure fat loss, water loss onward, is to pay for a hydrostatic fat composition test right? I believe it is the gold standard for every other style of measuring body fat, and the most accurate indication of fat and muscle gains or losses. Too bad we couldn't do that everyday. I hope we're done attacking each other. I honestly have the best intension when posting anything and not that I care if you like me or not, it just more productive when it's positive. Maybe just a theory.