Sugary Nights

Options
So I can change my eating habits to maintain healthy breakfasts, lunches and snacks... But by the end of every day, I tend to cheat a little with my dinners and go even further and have something totally sugary/unhealthy afterwords for dessert. I can't help it and I know it needs to stop. Any ideas to help me knock it off? I get pretty insane cravings at night for not just sugar, but fast food as well (I try to make it tacos when I do cave). Heeeeelp! :s

Replies

• suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    Can you save a couple 100 calories to enjoy evening sugar? I just spent 140 calories on strawberries dipped in chocolate....yum!

If I didn't have that many to spend,mint would have been SF pudding, or dove darks. Maybe you just have 2 "meals" and your evening calories are on treats that satisfy some of your cravings....but still have some nutrition. Chocolate pudding with bananas or something like that. Too weird? Sounds good to me!
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    If you eat healthily for most of the day and indulge on sweets or tacos in the evenings, there is no reason to knock it off as long as you are within your calorie/macro targets for the day.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    So I can change my eating habits to maintain healthy breakfasts, lunches and snacks... But by the end of every day, I tend to cheat a little with my dinners and go even further and have something totally sugary/unhealthy afterwords for dessert. I can't help it and I know it needs to stop. Any ideas to help me knock it off? I get pretty insane cravings at night for not just sugar, but fast food as well (I try to make it tacos when I do cave). Heeeeelp! :s

It doesn't need to stop. Just have a little dessert. Also, you can get some lower cal ones like skinny cow ice cream sandwiches or whatever. Fit them in and don't worry about it.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Also, I eat lots of fruit for my sugar cravings. Check out my diary. I just ate 2.5 pounds of cantaloupe LOL.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I eat an orange every night to satisfy the sugar craving. Fresh fruit will do it, and eventually you can't do without it.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    just expect to eat a snack or two after dinner and budget it into your daily calories

have a lighter breakfast or lunch, etc.
  • aBlueCrayon
    aBlueCrayon Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I thought I wasn't suppose to eat sugary foods at all or anything bad unless it were on occasion. It's reassuring to read all of your input, thank you everyone! The donut I had tonight was in my range- I wasn't over on anything but my daily protein by 6 grams.... But then I had a grease craving and settled for a mini quesadilla next door. Kinda set me over on everything a bit! I'll get better on my splurging though, if it's not a problem that I just save a few calories for a nighttime treat, then I'm happy!! You're all so awesome and I really look forward to trying some of the ideas mentioned :) if I could give you all a hug for making me feel so much better, I would!
  • Mellouk89
    Mellouk89 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I eat dates everytime I crave sugar, which is usually late at night. I rarely crave sugar during the day.
  • FitForL1fe
    Options
    nothing wrong with sugar, don't worry about it unless you have a medical issue with it. a lot of people track something else in their diary, like fiber.

calories are the most important, then macros if you are focusing on body composition (lifting weights, etc.).
  • aBlueCrayon
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »
    nothing wrong with sugar, don't worry about it unless you have a medical issue with it. a lot of people track something else in their diary, like fiber.

calories are the most important, then macros if you are focusing on body composition (lifting weights, etc.).

I do cardio and weight lifting every day, but I don't know how to input my weight training in here so I always exclude it :(
  • aBlueCrayon
    Options
    Mellouk89 wrote: »
    I eat dates everytime I crave sugar, which is usually late at night. I rarely crave sugar during the day.

I've never tried a date, I will pick one up next time I'm at the store!(:
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    It's a lifestyle, not a punishment..... Sugar is not the devil, I had a small peppermint Aero last night, and I am not all of a sudden diabetic or ten pounds fatter.....And the only "bad" food is the one that's been sitting in the sun for a day - or something you are deadly allergic to - otherwise there is no such a thing....
  • FitForL1fe
    Options

I do cardio and weight lifting every day, but I don't know how to input my weight training in here so I always exclude it :(

yeah I don't log my exercise, if you are not gaining or losing as much weight as you should after a few weeks at one calorie goal then just tweak your goal a bit until you get to the right spot
  • aBlueCrayon
    Options

yeah I don't log my exercise, if you are not gaining or losing as much weight as you should after a few weeks at one calorie goal then just tweak your goal a bit until you get to the right spot
    Sounds good! Thanks so much for all your help!! :smiley:
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Plan your meals carefully throughout the day and leave yourself an allowance for the evening to indulge your love of sugary and sweet things. Maybe try a mixture of dark choc chips, nuts and dried fruit (soft figs are really sweet and delicious)...
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I eat a little bit of sweets everyday and still losing :) Just smaller portion sizes. Takes awhile to get into the habit - at least try to make a conscience effort everyday and it becomes easier.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I plan for something sugary almost every day. I was struggling with hitting my protein goal, so someone here suggested I trade my daily chocolate for a chocolate flavored protein bar. Boom. Now I am generally at my protein goal, but still within my calories and still enjoying a dessert.
  • aBlueCrayon
    Options
    So happy to see so many people saying that I don't have to completely give up sugar, just as long as I make room for it!!! Makes me feel so much better, I don't know where the belief came from that I wasn't allowed to have any!
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Yup, I eat dessert every single night! I just leave some calories in the day for it :smile: Enjoy it! Sugar makes life sweet!
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    If you're a chocolate and/or ice cream fan, Skinny Cow is a good lower-calorie treat. I have a fudge cone every so often for 160 calories. It's similar to a drumstick, but a lot lighter. Really kicks the sweet tooth in the butt, and since it takes a little while to eat, my desire to snack is usually sated too.