Just bought a bike!

Options

Replies

• bencze1
    bencze1 Posts: 30 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Where I live I checked 2 fitting options, one is about 10$ other, 100$. So it may depend a lot on the store, or fitting method they use (expensive one means measurements with cameras, lasers, computer, takes an hour or two - it's for more advanced cyclists I guess).

Welcome to cycling, I started 7 years ago, just going to work and back (a distance of about 5-6 km one way). For 3 months I had sore muscles continuously, that was because a) I was 30kg overweight and b) I never did any sports in my life before.
    My first trip ever, after buying the bike, was 27km long and by the time I got there my butt really hurt. Then I had to come home as well. I bought a cheap, but more padded / wider seat and used it for a few months until I realized at that time the old, more sporty seat became more comfortable... so it's always a LOT about getting used to it and a little less about the seat itself.

Just so you know what may be ahead, I used a cheaper, quite noname MTB (straight handlebar) for years then last year I upgraded to a Specialized road bike (Specialized Diverge actually) and I'm loving it.

Cycling is great, I use it to go wherever I can - work, smaller errands etc. I hope your experience will be as positive as mine. Don't do too much too fast! other than that, you'll probably come to really like it. I never met anyone that used to cycle and decided it sucks and dropped it.

ps. I was always afraid down hills as well, lol, last week I broke my speed record at 54 km/h on a not-so-good quality road, guess I trust my new bike more :)
  • PopeyeCT
    PopeyeCT Posts: 249 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Most important thing in this thread:
    SBRRepeat wrote: »
    3. Buy chamois (bike shorts) and chamois butter. Thank me later.

• tdatsenko
    tdatsenko Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    joehempel wrote: »
    Will definitely be taking this in for a fit at some point. I don't really mind putting money into it because as long as the parts are replaceable I can go ahead (even though the frame is a bit heavier) and make it a more expensive bike for a little less money (at least that's the idea, I could be very wrong).

Fit's are generally low cost?
    You can do it yourself for free.
  • PopeyeCT
    PopeyeCT Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Also, go on YouTube and search "Global Cycling Network". They have a bunch of great videos with how to's about cycling.
  • saphin
    saphin Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Will definitely be taking this in for a fit at some point. I don't really mind putting money into it because as long as the parts are replaceable I can go ahead (even though the frame is a bit heavier) and make it a more expensive bike for a little less money (at least that's the idea, I could be very wrong).

Fit's are generally low cost?

Cheap bikes are great to find out if you enjoy cycling but don't waste your money upgrading it. It will have been built to meet a price point so welds will be weak and the structural integrity poor. Additionally, it will be hugely expensive to replace cheap components with better ones and will actually work out cheaper to buy a better spec bike.
    If you take to cycling you could either sell this bike when you buy a more expensive model, or keep hold of it for turbo trainer or roller work (either of which are tough on the tyres and cycles)
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the help! I've checked out that YouTube site and it really is great!! I think I may even be able to do my own fitting with their help. The bike is really close so I don't think there will need to be too much of an adjustment.

I will make sure to grab some of that butter and shorts lol.
  • Dannyp84
    Dannyp84 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Best thing I ever did was hit You Tube. Search for Global Cycle Network and watch their 'how to' videos for all hints & tips.
  • _nice_
    _nice_ Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Because I am just a few months ahead of you and also bought a cheap denali that I think I hate and I do about 20 miles per ride, hoping to go with a group for a 60 mile ride this summer, and my sit bones aren't well cushioned
    > PADDED SHORTS!!!! World changing! Even the cheap ones!
  • joehempel
    Options
    Well, learned the gearing system.....my ride was much better and I averaged an extra 1.6 mph on the roads....I just wish they weren't so curvy sometimes I maxed at like 23 on the straights at one point.
  • Carol_
    Carol_ Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Ya'll are having way too much fun!
  • CM_73
    CM_73 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Well, learned the gearing system.....my ride was much better and I averaged an extra 1.6 mph on the roads....I just wish they weren't so curvy sometimes I maxed at like 23 on the straights at one point.

Excellent, that's a good average increase.
    That's good advice above on not upgrading a cheaper frame, it's actually better value to just replace it.
    If you're maxing out at 23mph, that will just be the limit if your gearing although being able to hold 20mph over 10 miles is very good going and it's a good way to practise increasing your cadence!

Hopefully your bike will serve you well though, keep it up!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I did a 50 mile ride yesterday with a few friends. We averaged around 10mph because one person was out of shape and on a mountain bike instead of a road bike, but my HRM logged about 2000 calories. I was able to do two sprints reaching about 25mph.

A lot of it depends on the gearing ratio of your bike, it's weight and also lubrication. My previous bike was top of the line for it's time, but didn't have the ability to cruise as fast or as long as this one.

Just like your body, you are limited by "genetics" o:)
  • joehempel
    Options
    I tried not to cruise and keep peddling for some "free speed" downhills, but yeah, blind curves made me slow down. I didn't want to get hit by a car lol
  • gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I did my first races on a used beater road bike, and it works just fine. You can spend 100 bucks and get some clip-on aero bars closer to your 70.3 but in the near future you might want to get some road shoes/clipless pedals.

Shimano R540 SPD-SL for 40-50 bucks, some shoes for 100 and cleats for 10-20. That will last for years and you can move it all to a new bike if you want (better bikes don't come with pedals anyway). Skip the plastic toe-clip things that go over your shoes.

Also get a flat kit and learn how to change them on the side of the road. 2 levers, some screw-on co2 cartidges, an inflator and a couple of spare tubes. Multi-tool and patches too.

47 mph on a road bike is fun. 57 is terrifying. :)
  • joehempel
    Options
    Ha, 47....thats nuts
  • Goom731
    Goom731 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Whatever works, right?! Mine has no gears, coaster brakes and a basket but hey...I've gotten stronger, lost weight...as long as it serves it's purpose! :)
    I just did the same thing! But my new bike is blue! Walmart, coaster brakes and basket! Loving it!

• paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    padded shorts will be your friend, I bought a cheap pair at first then some cycle friends told me to buy the more expensive ones the difference in padding was amazing :D
  • brocantrs
    brocantrs Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    So, how is the bike riding going?
  • joehempel
    Options
    It's going well! I've moved up from averaging 12mph to 14-15.....Did my longest ride the other day of 55 minutes and 13.3 miles...there are a LOT of hills in my area and they only seem to go up LOL. Learning the correct gears, what's comfortable for me, and also standing up while going up hills as been a big help.

Had to make some adjustments to the bike, but it was easy enough to do.

Should have my power and cadence sensor tomorrow from the garmin watch.

This is the map, but on the stretch that was on the corner of 127 and Waycross I forgot to start my Garmin again after a red light so the mileage may be screwed up, I don't know. I remembered to turn it back on as I was turning onto another street so it's just a straight line.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/790775869

Having fun on it though. Running is still my main sport until after my Marathon in September, though I take the bike instead of the car whenever I can.
  • csman49
    csman49 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Flak kit? Whats that?