Is cacao chocolate 'junk' food?

Options
2»

Replies

• Nakeshia88
    Nakeshia88 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Why would this type of chocolate be considered less "junk" than milk chocolate? Either chocolate is allowed, or it is not. Either highly processed food is allowed in the challenge or it is not. I cannot say I would normally put such restrictions in my diet, but for a challenge like this, no, I would not eat it. Just because it sounds more expensive than regular chocolate, it does not mean it is "cleaner".

Why does it have to be all or nothing? This challenge allows the participants to decide what goes, as I said in my original post. I also think the cacao chocolate differs from 'regular' milk chocolate because it is all organic, dairy free and doesn't contain 'flavours' (whatever they are). That's not to say it's better for you than milk chocolate, but I think the nutritional content would be different :-)

This is the chocolate I purchased: https://lovingearth.net/products/7/crunchy-mint-organic-raw-dark-chocolate
  • Nakeshia88
    Nakeshia88 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    agave syrup is very high in fructose, since you are in a low-FODMAP diet you should avoid it like the plague (unless you have already reintroduced fructose of course).

Good point, I haven't tried agave yet
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »
    it's junk as in it tastes like *kitten* :tongue:

80% bitter chalk...er, cacao

hit me with that milk chocolate, bro

This.

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Why would this type of chocolate be considered less "junk" than milk chocolate? Either chocolate is allowed, or it is not. Either highly processed food is allowed in the challenge or it is not. I cannot say I would normally put such restrictions in my diet, but for a challenge like this, no, I would not eat it. Just because it sounds more expensive than regular chocolate, it does not mean it is "cleaner".

Because due to its lesser cacao content and higher amounts of sugar (usually), milk chocolate offers less nutritional value than dark chocolate for the same volume. The cacao is the high-value stuff.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Nakeshia88 wrote: »
    I'm wondering if the cacao chocolate I just purchased would be considered by most to be a 'junk' food?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm doing a Junk Free June challenge to help raise funds for the NZ Cancer Society. It's entirely up to the participant how far they take the challenge (for example some are only giving up fast food or soft drinks, and others are going completely vegan/raw for the month). Personally I'm giving up things like biscuits/cookies/cake, soft drinks, lollies/candy bars/sweets, potato chips/crisps, deep fried food and milk/white chocolate. These are all things I'd class as 'junk' food as they hold little/no nutritional value...

The cacao chocolate I just purchased contains at least 72% cacao, agave syrup, peppermint oil and sea salt, that's it. I think there is nutritional value in cacao, but I could be wrong? Would you consider this to be a 'junk' food?

agave syrup is very high in fructose, since you are in a low-FODMAP diet you should avoid it like the plague (unless you have already reintroduced fructose of course).

(have ibs) i've noticed that i can have small amounts of triggering things if I consume them with a larger amount of safer things, not sure if that'd be true for everyone, of course. I mean I'm not going to have two cups of cabbage salad, but 1/2 a cup with other stuff isn't too bad. OP is talking about 1 square every couple of days.
  • bhawk102
    bhawk102 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Dark chocolate is actually healthier
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Nakeshia88 wrote: »
    I'm wondering if the cacao chocolate I just purchased would be considered by most to be a 'junk' food?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm doing a Junk Free June challenge to help raise funds for the NZ Cancer Society. It's entirely up to the participant how far they take the challenge (for example some are only giving up fast food or soft drinks, and others are going completely vegan/raw for the month). Personally I'm giving up things like biscuits/cookies/cake, soft drinks, lollies/candy bars/sweets, potato chips/crisps, deep fried food and milk/white chocolate. These are all things I'd class as 'junk' food as they hold little/no nutritional value...

The cacao chocolate I just purchased contains at least 72% cacao, agave syrup, peppermint oil and sea salt, that's it. I think there is nutritional value in cacao, but I could be wrong? Would you consider this to be a 'junk' food?

(have ibs) i've noticed that i can have small amounts of triggering things if I consume them with a larger amount of safer things, not sure if that'd be true for everyone, of course. I mean I'm not going to have two cups of cabbage salad, but 1/2 a cup with other stuff isn't too bad. OP is talking about 1 square every couple of days.

An elimination diet like the low FODMAP should be followed strictly for a certain period (usually it is suggested 6 weeks for the FODMAP) and then you can start to reintroduce foods and assess your tolerance levels.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I don't often want chocolate, but dark chocolate does it for me when I do. However, the thought of it sweetened with agave? Ewwwww.

I don't like the flavor of that stuff.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I don't often want chocolate, but dark chocolate does it for me when I do. However, the thought of it sweetened with agave? Ewwwww.

Oh, btw, speaking about chocolate with alternative sweeteners, this is one of my favorites:
    http://www.vivani-chocolate.de/P_Bars_Dark_92_percent_cocoa.html
    that is made with coconut blossom sugar. It's delicious.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Oh, btw, speaking about chocolate with alternative sweeteners, this is one of my favorites:
    http://www.vivani-chocolate.de/P_Bars_Dark_92_percent_cocoa.html
    that is made with coconut blossom sugar. It's delicious.

I would have so pulled the trigger on that for the high cocoa content, but I have celiac disease and it might contain gluten. Bummer.

• mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy it, then eat it