No Judgement: what little things/weird habits to help maintain your weight

Options
13»

Replies

• blossom015
    blossom015 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I made derogatory remarks about the office doughnut-bringer's mother. She never offers me doughnuts anymore.

ROFLOL :D
  • fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    blossom015 wrote: »
    blossom015 wrote: »
    I try to use some sort of vinegar based or cayenne pepper on certain foods to boost metabolism and encourage weight lost.

That's a myth

It's okay to laugh. I've even tried drinking a few ounces of vinegar prior to eatting a high fat/calorie meal such as fast food. I read some where that it's suppose help your body burn fat/calories better. Pure vinegar is actually kind of gross.

Yes it is disgusting
  • LifeNewandImproved
    LifeNewandImproved Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I read "Mindless Eating" and one of the big tips is that you should not under any circumstances have any visible food in your kitchen when you walk into it with the One Exception being a fruit bowl. I don't have a fruit bowl BUT I do stick to the "no visible food" rule and it's tremendously helpful as I find when my boyfriend leaves *kitten* out I am VERY tempted by it and it's so much easier to stay on my plan when it's shoved into a cupboard somewhere. I also have a cupboard where the "better for you" stuff is more eye level and the higher I go the more bad those things are - with the "naughty" stuff on the very top shelf - helps I think :) I also put bad stuff in the drawers in the fridge despite temperatures and all that.
  • Cupcaker35
    Cupcaker35 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    schillewis wrote: »
    I'm still losing. What's been most helpful for me is planning my weekly dinners in advance and then shopping accordingly. I write out the menu for the week on a white board so everyone knows what to expect (and they can save their complaints, LOL) and it's a good reminder to me each morning of what I need to do for the day (defrost something, set up crock pot, etc). It's also lowered our grocery bill significantly - shopping lists are very specific - and helps me avoid just grabbing things off the shelf because they look appetizing. :)

This goes to show that proper planning pays off! I love the idea of weekly menu, this really helps when you're cooking family style. It can be lonely when u have a "special menu" and everyone else is eatting something different. Keep up the good work!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I keep 90% healthy foods in the house. I never buy bigger sized clothing, if I find my jeans a little tight after the holidays or a vacation I buckle down and quickly remove the couple of pounds before they snowball. I don't cheat all weekend long, but I do have a cheat day. I use the method of 80% healthy/20% whatever I want and I workout at least 5-6 hours a week.
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,730 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I usually try to drink a full glass of water when I have a craving, just to make sure I'm not mistaking hunger for thirst. I stopped baking whole cakes and big batches of cookies. All my recipes are cut in half or to a quarter. I bought some single-serving silicone muffin cups so I can cut down recipes and just make a few versus a whole pan. It takes the same amount of work for 6 cupcakes as for 24, but then I can only pig out so much. ;) I try to have a salad with lunch and dinner, so I fill up for fewer calories.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I set my alarm on my cell and put it across the room so when it goes off in the morning I have no choice but to get up to turn it off.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I am still losing, not yet at maintenance, but I never go grocery shopping when I'm hungry. And I avoid the cookie/snack aisles. It I do find myself in that aisle, I don't look at what's on the shelves and instead just hurry through. I literally avert my eyes from tempting treats so I don't start thinking about how good they would taste. This actually goes for my other "trigger" foods as well, like cheese. UnlessI am treating myself to some I don't look at it in the store, or I look away and get on with my shopping list. When I'm waiting at the check-out, I pull out my phone and check Facebook or email instead of looking around at all the treats they put there to tempt you.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options

The main reason I feel I maintain my weight is that I move a lot, I have become this very active person over the past few years - moving more certainly means I can enjoy extra calories = win win :smile:
    (this pint size gal can eat 2100-2300 cals at maintenance :smiley: )

Also I no longer eat much in the line of cakes/desserts - my palette has changed! (I still enjoy a daily small chocolate fix though :smiley: ) If I decide to eat something high cals/sweet now, but find its not exceptional I just leave it - this has become a great habit for me - I give away/bin desserts/sweets regularly because I don't feel they justify the high calories.

Bi-weekly weighs in are a must for me, if I see myself getting to the higher end of my goal range I know its time to shave a few extra calories off my intake.
  • sohmui
    sohmui Posts: 108 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Keep active. Weird habit when I was losing was that I tried not to walk anywhere. I ran from bedroom to living room, ran from living room to kitchen - ran everywhere - even if it was just a few yards :)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    sohmui wrote: »
    Keep active. Weird habit when I was losing was that I tried not to walk anywhere. I ran from bedroom to living room, ran from living room to kitchen - ran everywhere - even if it was just a few yards :)

^^
    thats a great idea!! I must try that too :smile:
  • ermanilabiol
    ermanilabiol Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    What is working for me is to buy the foods I like and eat a bit every day like chocolate and biscuits (their healthier version). I used to not have them in my house but often I was feeling deprived and would go to supermarket, buy a lot and eat them immediately. This method is working for me but everybody is different so..whatever works for you :)
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    sitting here eating my chips....slices of fresh raw yellow squash...crunchy..slightly sweet...lots o vitamin C
    That's a bit like my strategy. I cut up a pound of veggies every morning, put them in an empty ice-cream container and carry them around to eat as snacks whenever I need them. It's not just celery and carrots either. You'd be surprised how good raw rutabagas, parsnips and beets can be!

Advantages:
    1) Prevents me eating stuff I shouldn't
    2) Gives me loads of vitamins
    3) Plenty of dietary fiber
    Disadvantages:
    Sometimes people think I'm weird, but that's their problem. B)

• ermanilabiol
    ermanilabiol Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    mistikal13 wrote: »
    I set my alarm on my cell and put it across the room so when it goes off in the morning I have no choice but to get up to turn it off.

I used to do it also :D but I was going to bed again.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    spzjlb wrote: »
    I made derogatory remarks about the office doughnut-bringer's mother. She never offers me doughnuts anymore.

^^Too funny!

I don't eat when I'm stressed out.

Probably the main reason I maintain is I'm super active. I use my bike for transportation and usually work out about 5 times a week plus I currently teach 3 fitness classes a week (soon to be six).

Additionally, I'm an unenthusiastic eater and usually have to remind myself to eat lunch. I don't recommend this as a maintenance routine, however. o:)
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    RaspberryTickleChicken Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Congrats!

In regards to OP ... I'd say I continued to struggle with snacking after dinner.

My remedies which has helped tremendously is eat dinner later & keep the snacks in the cupboards instead on the counter.

I know it's a rather simple & silly Jedi mind trick but the simple act of not SEEING the snacks helped me to abandon the habit of snacking after dinner. And just to clarify I snacked not because I was still hungry but because it was my nightly routine.

Hope that helps!

Good luck!
  • sdubya04
    sdubya04 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've been around (give or take 5 lbs) my goal weight for 4 years. I'm 5'3" and weigh 110.
    I feel like just keeping a close eye on it and being mindful of eating clean works for me.
    I weigh myself almost everyday and when it gets to my "top" I might work out a little harder and when I'm at my "bottom" I might be more relaxed with eating out or treats.
    I love yoga! That keeps me mindful of being present and honoring my body for serving me!
  • cuttlefish11
    cuttlefish11 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I lost 15 pounds and have been maintaining for about 6 months. I log everything every single day, even when I'm having a "bad" day. My danger time is as soon as I get home from work. I started eating pickles before dinner--very few calories and I love them!