Anyone have weight loss success and NOT limit their fruit intake?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    I prep for bodybuilding shows still eating fruit.. Usually twice a day!
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    if you're in a calorie deficit you'll lose weight. whether you eat fruit or not is up to you

This, totally!

I'm doing LiveFit, and she recommends not eating more than two pieces of fruit a day. I'm a rebel and eat three or four. I figure, whatever! I'm not going over on my calories, and it's a much better alternative to the sweet things I COULD be consuming, so I'm not going to stress about it. Fruit, fruit, fruit! You are so goooooood.... I want to compose a song about you!
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    I just ate 300 g of cantaloupe and I'm losing just fine. I love fruit!! :)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    AZnewbie00 wrote: »
    I read a lot of articles that say its important not to eat too much fruit when trying to lose weight.
    I am trying to eat healthy overall and tend to eat fruit when I get a craving for sweets, which is pretty often. I want to know if I can still be successful even if I have a piece or two of fruit a day.

I had to cut the fruit out to lose weight. In my case I was addicted to carbs so I had to stop eating more than 50 grams daily to lose in size and pounds.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I have roughly 250-300g of fruit everyday, banana and berries. I have a lot more than that in summer.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Didn't limit fruit, didn't track sugar, my only limit on carbs generally is my overall calorie goal.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    No food makes you fat. TOO MUCH FOOD makes you fat. Eat less than you burn.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    I eat over a pound of berries most days. Topped with milk and sugar. Typically, breakfast, evening snack, and sometimes in the afternoon too. Yum. I'd rather have that than cereal any day!
  • faithyang
    faithyang Posts: 297 Member
    edited June 2015
    I lost over 20kg without restricting fruit at all. In fact it was when I increased my fruit intake when I lost the most weight. With sweet stuff I'm get terrible cravings and obsessions with any junk sweet or savoury things - brownies, fudge, ice cream, crisps, etc - you name it, I crave it, esp sweet things BAD.

I have a strict rule of thumb the way I eat, similar to how I coordinate my work days (such as weekdays = work, weekends = leisure): no sugary / processed food on weekdays except: fruit or the occasional low-cal hot chocolate drink at nights. Weekends: One sugary treat permitted.

On weekdays I have a mini ramekin which I allow to fill to the absolute brim with any fruit I want. I usually enjoy a 1/2 cup of watermelon/cantaloupe, with 1/4-1/5 apple, 1/4-1/5 pear (basically 2-3 thin slices each fruit) and a small handful of grapes (about 10). The variety satisfies me and makes me think I'm 'splurging' but I'm not.

With the weekend sugary treat, its not done in a way which is very restrictive. I find when I do this even though I start craving sweet things to the point of obsessing - I save LOTS AND LOTS of sweet/savoury recipes online in my digital cook book - I am satisfied with a few bites of a sweet treat. But I will not, I repeat, will not stop myself if I want to eat a big slice of cake, etc. Just not the whole cake. Or the whole tin of biscuits. Or the whole pan of brownies. Or whole pint of ice cream. You find that the first few bites are the most pleasureable, but if you're scooping mouthful after mouthful I've realised you're not actually enjoying it, you're blindly and compulsively doing what I call automated eating. You aren't really present when you're automated. You look down, plate/pan is empty, you feel like garbage because all those calories are gone, you didn't think that pleasure/pain ratio was worth it because you were on autopilot and not 'there' when shoving that entire pan of brownies into your mouth.

• YellowApple666
    YellowApple666 Posts: 35 Member
    Me! I'd go mad without fruit.
  • faithyang
    faithyang Posts: 297 Member
    Me! I'd go mad without fruit.

I second that!
    Especially with all the fruit discounts at my local supermarket and fresh food market these days...I end up buying heaps of fruit! :smile:
    They make great preserves, breakfasts, brunches and dessert too - without having to add (much or any) additional sugar. Before my weight loss journey I hardly touched fruit - only after I got healthy and added fruit to my diet that the weight came tumbling off.
  • cyronius
    cyronius Posts: 157 Member
    AZnewbie00 wrote: »
    I read a lot of articles that say its important not to eat too much fruit when trying to lose weight.

If you're not explicitly counting calories, then it's easy to go over your daily TDEE. Fruit is seen as healthy, so people (who aren't counting calories) tend to think that it "doesn't count" when they're on a diet. So as general advice for non calorie counters, it's probably good advice.

If you are counting your calories, then eat what fits in your limit and makes you happy...

• harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    80 lbs lost. WHY limit fruit? Fiber, nutrients = GOOD STUFF. Nobody is\has been obese from eating too much produce. Pretty damn sure.
  • kellyship17
    kellyship17 Posts: 112 Member
    I eat 3-4 servings a day, I just fit it into my calories for the day. I LOVE fruit. (And I have lost 25 pounds)
  • Solangelle
    Solangelle Posts: 5 Member
    It depends on your body and what type of diet works for you. Fruit is high in carbs, so anyone wishing to do a low carb diet will probably limit fruit. I only eat 1/4 to a 1/3 cup of berries per day, because of my macros.

My advice is, if you like fruit, eat it, but track it and look at your carbs in the macros tab under nutrition. If you find you're not losing weight as expediently as you'd like, you can then limit your fruit or other carbs, as you like.
  • amillenium
    amillenium Posts: 281 Member
    I love fruit but I also have a self control issue when it comes to grapes, blueberries, etc...I pop them like candy and go through the whole container. I have to measure and control but that's just me--everyone has their weaknesses! ;)
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    amillenium wrote: »
    I love fruit but I also have a self control issue when it comes to grapes, blueberries, etc...I pop them like candy and go through the whole container. I have to measure and control but that's just me--everyone has their weaknesses! ;)

I love blueberries too. A entire pint of blueberries is only about 230 calories with about 10 grams of fiber. So if you're going to binge on something . . .
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    I've lost nearly 140 pounds and I live primarily on fruit. I eat tons of bananas, watermelon, cantaloupe, cherries, apples, oranges and strawberries.
  • PopeyeCT
    PopeyeCT Posts: 249 Member
    Whittedo wrote: »
    I have lost over 40 pounds and with the exception of the first two weeks I have eaten several servings of fruit every day. Now that summer is preaching I am sure that my fruit consumption will increase over the next few months. As @TavistockToad said, it's the caloric deficit that matters in weight loss.

This