Is it worth it to quit diet soda? Have you?

Options
12345679»

Replies

• Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    After giving up all artificial sweeteners (Diet Soda / Crystal Light etc.) two years ago, my body cannot tolerate any of those anymore. They make me very ill. I drink herbal tea in the AM, water & Kombucha.

Funny how people who never had it before and drink it for the first time don't get ill from it.

Probably the same way when people eat gluten & highly processed foods & it doesn't bother them. I've become very sensitive to all of it since eliminating it from my diet.

See that's why I'd never want to eliminate things I enjoy from my diet, because I'd never want to get to the point where I can't eat them without having issues. That's just not feasible for me, for long term success. To each their own I guess :)
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    After giving up all artificial sweeteners (Diet Soda / Crystal Light etc.) two years ago, my body cannot tolerate any of those anymore. They make me very ill. I drink herbal tea in the AM, water & Kombucha.

Funny how people who never had it before and drink it for the first time don't get ill from it.

Probably the same way when people eat gluten & highly processed foods & it doesn't bother them. I've become very sensitive to all of it since eliminating it from my diet.

See that's why I'd never want to eliminate things I enjoy from my diet, because I'd never want to get to the point where I can't eat them without having issues. That's just not feasible for me, for long term success. To each their own I guess :)

Oh, I dream about a big juicy cheeseburger & a couple of dressed Dos Equis, but the fear of the aftermath has kept me from indulging. I don't crave it, just fantasize! :p I have set some high goals for myself & this is working for me. :)
  • ScreeField
    ScreeField Posts: 180 Member
    Options

It may be that eliminating gluten from your diet also eliminates the bacteria in your gut that digests gluten--you eliminate their source of food and the bacteria that live off of that food die. Once you lose those gluten-eating bacteria, gluten becomes much more difficult to digest in the future. (Not to be confused with celiac disease which is a negative immune response to the proteins in gluten.)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'm not rating one artifical sweetener over another, but as a group, I've come to understand that consuming them fools the body into thinking we are taking in sugar, stimulating insulin production and excretion. When the blood sugar doesn't go up, the brain does kind of a double take and say to the liver...there's no sugar, quick give us some sugar to meet the insulin we just made so we don't crash into hypoglycemia. Well some doctors believe, I believe Dr. Oz mentions this on his show as well, I'm that it may lead to a rebound type to diabetes from liver and pancreas over stimulation. I tend to believe this theory.

The only references to the supposed "fool the body" theory are opinion pieces. I tested my blood sugar for years and I can definitely tell you that my body did not respond to aspartame the same way it did to sugar. Diet drinks did not spike my blood sugar at all.
  • allbarrett
    allbarrett Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    If I gave up diet soft drinks, I wouldn't be able to have my gin (+tonic) or rye (+Coke) either. That would make me sad. Watch the caffeine intake, and take good care of your teeth, anything else is either personal preference or between you and your doctor.

I must applaud all the virtuous people here who apparently only have water when they go out for dinner too. I must be singlehandedly supporting the wine and beer industries around here.
  • AmorAguacate
    AmorAguacate Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    allbarrett wrote: »
    If I gave up diet soft drinks, I wouldn't be able to have my gin (+tonic) or rye (+Coke) either. That would make me sad. Watch the caffeine intake, and take good care of your teeth, anything else is either personal preference or between you and your doctor.

I must applaud all the virtuous people here who apparently only have water when they go out for dinner too. I must be singlehandedly supporting the wine and beer industries around here.

You are not alone :smile: I promise to continue helping you support the industry.