Blood donation

Options
2»

Replies

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Alright, I'm not a doctor, actually it doesn't matter for me, I just wanted to know how you guys deal with it, because I often feel wild hunger after a few hours after donation.

The extreme hunger you feel is from low blood sugar. Immediately after donation, you will want to drink juice or eat something sweet like cookies or cake to bring blood glucose up rapidly. When you get home, I would eat a well-balanced meal of protein, fat, and carbs.
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I'd not overthink it. To not exacerbate the light-headedness, I would eat at maintenance on the day you give blood and perhaps the day before if was an early morning donation. Then I'd go back to your deficit.

Sadly I'm not allowed to give blood in the US because I'm a Brit and lived in England through the BSE (mad cow) years.

That sucks. I donated bone marrow to an American two years ago. They sure weren't worried about me having mad cows disease! LOL
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, now I get it all. It's not a big deal for me I usually donate about 9 AM and continue my work day afterwards, it's just that hunger about 5 PM! :D Anyway, thanks guys for a great feedback. And of course I recommend donating blood, it's fun :D

I think it's great that you donate so regularly :)
    Options
    Thank you btw OP. You've just reminded me that I needed to book another donation session. Roll on August.
  • michknd
    michknd Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I do a double apheresis donation at least once a month (has been as high as 3x) but started out giving whole blood. I usually try to get some protein & caffeine afterward as it takes a lot out of me. I don't feel extra hungry myself, if you feel like you need more food that day then go for it & don't stress it, after all you saved a life right ;) I also feel best if I workout before I go in that day.
  • yesimpson
    Options
    aimeerace wrote: »
    I'd not overthink it. To not exacerbate the light-headedness, I would eat at maintenance on the day you give blood and perhaps the day before if was an early morning donation. Then I'd go back to your deficit.

Sadly I'm not allowed to give blood in the US because I'm a Brit and lived in England through the BSE (mad cow) years.

That sucks. I donated bone marrow to an American two years ago. They sure weren't worried about me having mad cows disease! LOL

Bone marrow's another thing I can't donate, because of a latex allergy - I fail to understand this. If my GP, local practice nurse, the hospital and the dentist can work around that, why can't the bone marrow donation process? :(
  • poszukiwaczprawdy
    poszukiwaczprawdy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you btw OP. You've just reminded me that I needed to book another donation session. Roll on August.

No problem :D I donated todays morning.

I love the taste of hot chocolate after donation and that sound sleep after a whole day.
    yesimpson wrote: »
    Thanks guys, now I get it all. It's not a big deal for me I usually donate about 9 AM and continue my work day afterwards, it's just that hunger about 5 PM! :D Anyway, thanks guys for a great feedback. And of course I recommend donating blood, it's fun :D

I think it's great that you donate so regularly :)

It's our tradition with my friends, we do it no matter what, every two months. I've donated over 20 pints of blood already :)
    Options

Bone marrow's another thing I can't donate, because of a latex allergy - I fail to understand this. If my GP, local practice nurse, the hospital and the dentist can work around that, why can't the bone marrow donation process? :(

:( It's awful when people are really positive about wanting to be donors and can't. Only 6% of the British population that CAN donate do. I have so many friends that would love to donate blood etc but can't because of illnesses etc.
  • poszukiwaczprawdy
    poszukiwaczprawdy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    michknd wrote: »
    I do a double apheresis donation at least once a month (has been as high as 3x) but started out giving whole blood. I usually try to get some protein & caffeine afterward as it takes a lot out of me. I don't feel extra hungry myself, if you feel like you need more food that day then go for it & don't stress it, after all you saved a life right ;) I also feel best if I workout before I go in that day.

I will try with working out a day before, sounds like a good tip. thanks :)
  • yesimpson
    Options

:( It's awful when people are really positive about wanting to be donors and can't. Only 6% of the British population that CAN donate do. I have so many friends that would love to donate blood etc but can't because of illnesses etc.

Exactly. I think it's amazing that we have the resources to be able to donate parts of our own tissues in order to help someone else. I'm hoping at some point I'll get my anaemia stabilised to the point where the NHS can accept my blood - although I am a bit of a fainter with blood tests and such.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

Pure guess here, but probably part of the equipment for bone marrow donation contains latex, and it's not cost-effective to create a latex-free version for the small amount of the population that are both latex-sensitive and want to donate bone marrow.

Latex free gloves and other equipment for more mainstream procedures will be more cost-effective.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

Pure guess here, but probably part of the equipment for bone marrow donation contains latex, and it's not cost-effective to create a latex-free version for the small amount of the population that are both latex-sensitive and want to donate bone marrow.

Latex free gloves and other equipment for more mainstream procedures will be more cost-effective.
  • yesimpson
    Options

Ah interesting. I think you're probably right.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Jack: Cookie in the middle of the day?
    Liz: I gave blood!
    Jack: Does that burn calories?
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I used to donate about every other month or so. Only special thing I did after donating was have a Coke and then eat when I got home. I don't think I'd log it as burning calories at all.
  • AlixStark
    AlixStark Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It makes me happy when people donate blood. They do drives at my work 6 times a year, and people still don't go. It's paid time away from your desk, free cookies, and saving lives. Doesn't get much more awesome than that.

I don't log the blood regen burn or the cookie I eat afterwards to get my sugar back up. I figure it's a wash.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Definitely eat more after donating blood, but don't go overboard. I manually entered my last donation at 600 cals for the fun of it, but didn't eat that much more. Have the juice and a snack that they give you, and treat yourself to a nice dinner. Either way, the worst you're doing is losing 1 day's deficit. It's a small price to pay for saving a life.