eggs

Options

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Eat the whole egg. When I bake something that requires whites only and I have some yolks left over, I feed them to my cats. They love them and it is good for their shiny coats (they are also great for dogs for the same reasons). Just beat them up a little and let the pets have at it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Lol, I was told that the white was better and the yolk contained most of the fat

Just eating the whites provides a lot of protein for a lot less calories. But, if you have the calories to spare the yolk has a lot of nutrition in it.

Do you have a pet you could feed the yolks to?
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I eat the whole egg, if just eating eggs. If I'm making a white cake and have to seperate, I give the yolk to my dogs.
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Eggs got a bad reputation for a long time, because of the belief that they'd raise your LDL and total cholesterol. I guess recently that's been debunked and many doctors are saying the opposite. I don't know how to insert a hyperlink in this response from my phone, but there was a wonderful article in February of this year by the Washington Post highlighting the research done at Tufts Univerisity, I believe, states that the U.S. government was withdrawing the dietary guideline on cholesterol and not making a recommendation, if at all, until later this year. Guidelines have been in place since the early 60's and it's a big breakthrough.
    I don't know why you separate your yolks, but that is where more than 80% of the nutrients and protein are, but yes fat too.
    Personally I'd rather my fat content come from eggs than other animal products. Of course with a combination of avocados and other plant based foods.
    Maybe you don't like yolks, which is cool too, but I for one am extremely happy that healthy adults and children need not worry any further about eating eggs in moderation along with a balanced diet. One of nature's perfect foods.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,643 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    I don't always eat eggs, but when I do, I eat the whole egg.

Are you The Most Interesting Man in the World's wife?

Thank you for noticing my little jest :)

*cursties* I love those freakin' commercials so much. Those and the Bud Light Real Men of Genius and Real American Heroes commercials.

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Just eat the whole thing.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    There is literally no reason to not eat the whole egg unless you have an allergy or specific medical condition.

Don't pay attention to silly diet fads and bad advice about yolks, which are not grounded in any scientific fact whatsoever.
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    There is literally no reason to not eat the whole egg unless you have an allergy or specific medical condition.

Don't pay attention to silly diet fads and bad advice about yolks, which are not grounded in any scientific fact whatsoever.

AMEN!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Lol, I was told that the white was better and the yolk contained most of the fat

there is nothing wrong with dietary fat and in fact, it is highly essential. in addition to the fat, the yolk contains a *kitten* ton of other nutrition that you are missing out on.

whites are a great way to bulk up scrambled eggs for more volume and protein with minimal calorie hit...but I don't see any point in just eating whites alone...no flavor and very little nutrition outside of protein.

I eat whole eggs. I will sometimes bulk up my breakfast with egg whites from a carton, but I don't do that as much these days because it still kind of "waters" them down.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    ^Lol...

I think there are people out there who truly believe that eating foods with a decent amount of dietary fat in them makes you fat.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    The only time I separate the yolk is when a recipe calls for it, otherwise just eat the damn egg!! :p
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I throw them out or make scrambled eggs for my furbaby. I never really liked the yolk (and had to be forced to eat it as a kid). Sometimes I eat them as a necessity, but I prefer just the whites.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Eat the whole egg. When I bake something that requires whites only and I have some yolks left over, I feed them to my cats. They love them and it is good for their shiny coats (they are also great for dogs for the same reasons). Just beat them up a little and let the pets have at it.

My cats won't eat them. I tried that once upon a time.

It's okay, though, as I'm also on the eat the whole egg side! Or at least buy the cartons.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    OP, if you're intent on using just the whites, you can buy cartons of pasteurized egg whites. You can use what you need, and the yolks are repurposed so the waste is minimal.

Personally I make omelettes with an egg or two mixed with some whites for a boost in volume and protein.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Eat the yolks!
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    The yolks are loaded with vitamins and minerals, the whites not so much.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I eat them but I do know that they freeze well for recipes that require yolks only.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Hollandaise sauce. A freak-load of calories but oh, so good. A single egg yolk contains your RDA of:

Vitamin A 4% Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium 2% Iron 2%
    Vitamin D 9% Vitamin B-6 5%
    Vitamin B-12 5%
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I use a ton of egg whites in my protein pancakes recipe (I make a week's worth for two people) and found it to be too much of a waste to use eggs and throw out the yolk, so I just buy the carton of egg whites. Costs a little more but you're not wasting the yolks.

THIS!!
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Curious... how many eggs does everyone normally eat?

5-6 with turkey/ham/chicken/onion/tomato/cheese/whatever's laying around is usually a decent sized meal for me but my roommate (a guy roughly the same size as me) gets full after 3 eggs without all the goodies cooked in.