Wendler 531

Options
Anybody here on MFP doing Jim Wendlers 531 program? If so what cycle are you on? When did you start it? Like it? Hate it? Got any big lifts out of it? Share some progress stories! I'm currently on cycle 6 and have had tremendous results from the program. 365 squat, high bar, olympic. 255 bench and 455 deadlift, conventional. Definitely loving the program!

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I am doing it....I am on cycle 9 actually.

I started last September I believe.
    I like it.
    Not sure of the progress I would have to check the starting weights on my other phone.
    I haven't been doing any accessory exercises tho in the last 4-5 cycles probably should start tho.

I have been making steady progress on all my lifts failed on bench on cycle 4 and today I am back up to where I had that failure so it should be interesting to see if I can get past 125x3
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I am starting week 3 of my second cycle. I'm happy with my progress so far.

Do you all do the deload every 4 weeks? I have nly read the first book. For some reason I thought he changed the deload to the 6 week point after writing that book. I was considering following that model if I could find more info on it.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 5/3/1 for squats and deadlifts. I'm on 10-11ish cycle. I've gone from a 135lb to 220lb deadlift (which includes taking 6 weeks off from dl-ing) in that time. I'm still using 5x5 for bench and ohp. I was afraid to do a heavy single on both, but I am going to switch over to 5/3/1 on those soon. I'm ohp-ing 65lbs for reps and benching 90lbs for reps. It's probably time to switch.
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Im on my 1st cycle second week of bbb and so far am loving it. Ive done 8 cycles of his 531 triumvirate previosuly and liked the results from that as well.
  • foursirius
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Do you all do the deload every 4 weeks? I have nly read the first book. For some reason I thought he changed the deload to the 6 week point after writing that book. I was considering following that model if I could find more info on it.

Im doing the 6 week deload as outlined in beyond 531. I'll throw joker sets in as well if im having a good day.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    OP that chick was watching you lift. Get used to that. It comes with the territory of lifting heavy weights.

I am on cycle 6 but what I have notice is that it is hard to maintain or increase lifts as my weight drops. I lost close to 20 pounds and my total is kind of the same for the big three as cycle one.

The accessories lifts I do is work on sticky points, partial reps and my grip strength. I don't see why I should do more since I am still in the cutting phase.
  • jemhh
    Options
    foursirius wrote: »

Im doing the 6 week deload as outlined in beyond 531. I'll throw joker sets in as well if im having a good day.

I think I'm going to switch to that. I don't feel like I need a deload at week 4. I figure I might as well try it once and if it doesn't go well I can always switch back.

If any of you do BBB, do you keep your work sets and 5x10 sets the same or swap them (e.g., squat work sets with 5x10 deadlifts, etc.)?
  • foursirius
    Options
    foursirius wrote: »

I think I'm going to switch to that. I don't feel like I need a deload at week 4. I figure I might as well try it once and if it doesn't go well I can always switch back.

If any of you do BBB, do you keep your work sets and 5x10 sets the same or swap them (e.g., squat work sets with 5x10 deadlifts, etc.)?

I run template 2 which swaps the 5x10 off the primary of the day.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Anybody here on MFP doing Jim Wendlers 531 program? If so what cycle are you on? When did you start it? Like it? Hate it? Got any big lifts out of it? Share some progress stories! I'm currently on cycle 6 and have had tremendous results from the program. 365 squat, high bar, olympic. 255 bench and 455 deadlift, conventional. Definitely loving the program!

I've been using Jim's principles for a little over 2 years now, great progress. Whatever you do, make sure you're using his most recent book "Beyond 5/3/1" or you're not getting the most out of Jim's system.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    It's the Chevy smallblock of the lifting world. Highly adaptable to just about anything. People use it for many purposes and have been doing so for quite some time. I've been using it for about a year and a half.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Also, that reminds me, now I need to get more bumper plates so I can max out the bar and make it look like I'm lifting crazy weight.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I must be progressing I got past the 125x3 today...easy peasy...might have been able to get 4 but no spotter today.
  • foursirius
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I must be progressing I got past the 125x3 today...easy peasy...might have been able to get 4 but no spotter today.

Should try a first set last or a joker set if you're feeling especially good that day. May as well capitalize on the good days!

• coachjschroth
    coachjschroth Posts: 25 Member
    Options

As previously mentioned, wendler gives the option of taking a deload after every 6th week. There is no problem keeping the deload at week 4 though. Personally, the more I adapt and get used the the program, the less deload I need to take. Now I really only take a deload when my lifts start to suffer and I become lethargic during a cycle. Or when I plan to do a "mock meet" and need to taper beforehand.
  • coachjschroth
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    OP that chick was watching you lift. Get used to that. It comes with the territory of lifting heavy weights.

I am on cycle 6 but what I have notice is that it is hard to maintain or increase lifts as my weight drops. I lost close to 20 pounds and my total is kind of the same for the big three as cycle one.

The accessories lifts I do is work on sticky points, partial reps and my grip strength. I don't see why I should do more since I am still in the cutting phase.

That's a good sign! If you've dropped 20 lbs and you total is still the same it means you've gotten stronger! My lifts haven't stalled too much yet and I'm down 10lbs. The deadlifts are becoming a bit hellish but squats and bench still move pretty fast. Even on the heaviest percentages.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

That's a good sign! If you've dropped 20 lbs and you total is still the same it means you've gotten stronger! My lifts haven't stalled too much yet and I'm down 10lbs. The deadlifts are becoming a bit hellish but squats and bench still move pretty fast. Even on the heaviest percentages.

I notice since I have been losing chest fat, My main goal, my bench is suffering but hey if I got to lose all my chest strength to get pecs I don't care.
  • coachjschroth
    edited June 2015
    Options

I notice since I have been losing chest fat, My main goal, my bench is suffering but hey if I got to lose all my chest strength to get pecs I don't care.

Simple solution. Bigger triceps and bigger upper back. Those are the real powerhouses when it comes to a big bench
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I started this program today... I like how fast I can get in and out the gym.
  • coachjschroth
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »

Nice! That's one of the biggest draw point of the program. And the big gains of course haha. Let us know about your results when you can!
  • jemhh
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »

I just switched to the BBB template. It fits better with my schedule since I do it before work but I keep feeling like I'm not doing enough. It's definitely something to get used to.