Frustrated with lack of consistency of Calorie counts for foods on MFP

Options

Replies

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Bshmerlie wrote: »

I looked up chicken breast skinless raw 8 oz and it was 272 calories on the USDA website. I don't think its going to increase in calories simply because it is thrown on a BBQ. How would they know what kind of seasoning I'm using? How does it go from 272 calories raw to 370 cooked?

Because 8 ounces raw becomes lighter after you cook away the water and fats inside it. Your 8-ounce piece of raw breast meat would only be ~5 ounces cooked.
    So, if you cook your chicken breast and then measure out 8 ounces, you are eating what started out as a raw 11-ounce piece.

First off, I measure all my meats for weight when they are raw. I don't reweigh them after they are cooked.

It's not that the meat gains caloroes but rather loses weight when it's cooked because some of the juices will cook off during cooking. So if you weigh it raw use the nutrition info for raw meat. Cooked meat does not have the additional water weight that raw does.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    So basically on days that I eat chicken I've been shorting myself about 200 calories. And thats just on the chicken.... :(

Yup hence the reason I made the post about "logging accurately" and I often mention "are you choosing the correct entries"

If MFP premium came with only USDA calorie entries and from the manufacturer I would pay...

I would too!
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I've also been told that calorie counts for meat, chicken, fish etc are always only approximate because it can differ slightly from one animal to the next.

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, one other item I'd add: A numeric field for the serving size (in grams). In theory, you should be able to enter the weight you used for your item and MFP could do the math from there.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »

I looked up chicken breast skinless raw 8 oz and it was 272 calories on the USDA website. I don't think its going to increase in calories simply because it is thrown on a BBQ. How would they know what kind of seasoning I'm using? How does it go from 272 calories raw to 370 cooked?

Because 8 ounces raw becomes lighter after you cook away the water and fats inside it. Your 8-ounce piece of raw breast meat would only be ~5 ounces cooked.
    So, if you cook your chicken breast and then measure out 8 ounces, you are eating what started out as a raw 11-ounce piece.

First off, I measure all my meats for weight when they are raw. I don't reweigh them after they are cooked.

It's not that the meat gains caloroes but rather loses weight when it's cooked because some of the juices will cook off during cooking. So if you weigh it raw use the nutrition info for raw meat. Cooked meat does not have the additional water weight that raw does.

Yeah I understand that. That's why I always weigh my food before I cook it and most of the time I cook my meats on a BBQ grill. So I can't imagine it gaining any calories in the cooking process unless I add any suaces or seasoning in which case I would measure that out and count it as well in my diary.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

Yeah I understand that. That's why I always weigh my food before I cook it and most of the time I cook my meats on a BBQ grill. So I can't imagine it gaining any calories in the cooking process unless I add any suaces or seasoning in which case I would measure that out and count it as well in my diary.
    It doesn't gain calories. 8 ounces raw = 272 calories or whatever. It's still 272 calories after cooking, but now it's 5 ounces so the calories per ounce, not per piece, will be higher.

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

chicken cooked 8 oz would weigh a lot more raw hence the extra calories.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I've also been told that calorie counts for meat, chicken, fish etc are always only approximate because it can differ slightly from one animal to the next.

If this is how you feel, then there's obviously no point in you counting your calories at all.

In all seriousness, every little itty bitty thing we do with calorie counting is an estimate. How much you burn every day will never be exactly 2000 calories. Some days it will be higher, some days it will be lower.

How much you eat, even if you precisely measure it and track every gram, if going to be off. Heck, the nutritional informaiton on labels are just averages and are rounded numbers. (Look at a bottle of coke for example. 65g of sugar =/= 240 calories).

It's all about averages. Get it close enough every day and you'll lose weight. If you don't lose weight, then you're going to have to drop your target a bit.
  • choconuts
    choconuts Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    OhMaryMack wrote: »
    Since there no way to request corrections to obviously erroneous nutrition information found in the database, it's no surprise that it is so full of discrepancies. I realize this service is free, but in order for it to be useful, it needs to be somewhat accurate. It's too bad they don't have a mechanism for corrections.

You can edit user submitted entries, I do it all of the time. I haven't found a way to do it from my phone app, so I always wind up opening my laptop and doing it from the website.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    Oh, so I have you to thank for all those Correcteds? :)
  • choconuts
    choconuts Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Oh, so I have you to thank for all those Correcteds? :)

I get so irritated when something is listed as "1/2 cup" serving size. I change it to grams as often as I can.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    So how does meat gain calories by roasting it? I'm assuming thats a rotisserie? Doesn't make sense.

It doesn't gain calories by being cooked. It becomes denser. So an 8 oz raw breast, when cooked, has the same amount of calories. However, 8 oz of cooked breast started out as more than that in its raw form, so it had more calories.
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,736 MFP Moderator
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Oh yeah, one other item I'd add: A numeric field for the serving size (in grams). In theory, you should be able to enter the weight you used for your item and MFP could do the math from there.

On many of the "base" entries (i.e. not entered by users/no stars), there are a number of options in the drop-down, including per 100 grams. If I don't see an entry with grams, I add it to the database, and put "per 100 grams" at the end of the description. The U.S. system of cups and tablespoons is horribly inaccurate. I weigh everything raw, in grams, and enter it that way. Far easier. Keep in mind that for whole-ish foods, you don't need to go by brand names to be in the ball park. You can type chicken, raw and get a base entry. No need to put in Tyson or whatever. For fruits and veggies, enter the plural to get the base entry. Raspberries, raw will get you a more accurate listing than some random brand name. :) It takes time, but you can get your most frequent foods set up with good entries.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    So according to the USA website my 8 oz of boneless skinless chicken breast is only 272 calories? Am I reading that right.

Four ounces raw chicken gives you approximately 3 ounces of cooked...so it depends on when you were weighing it.

• Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    On the Tyson frozen chicken breast bag, from Costco, it says 4 oz of raw chicken breast has 110 calories. So I go by that. Just weigh the raw chicken and go by that number of calories.

Edit...and I just looked up that USDA site. They show 102 calories for 4 oz. Raw.
  • bpetrosky
    Options
    A lot of the entries in the USDA database are averages of multiple tests of the food item. If you click on the Full Report (All Nutrients) you would see a column for # Data Points. The USDA data is a best approximation of what you'll get on the supermarket shelf for staple food items since they aren't relying on one test when possible.

Also, since the FDA labelling regs allow for a 20% error in calories shown, we're never even close to 100% accurate. It would be nice to not add to the error with bad MFP data, since we are trying to accurately weigh and log to avoid getting worse than the 20%.

• bpetrosky
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »

On many of the "base" entries (i.e. not entered by users/no stars), there are a number of options in the drop-down, including per 100 grams. If I don't see an entry with grams, I add it to the database, and put "per 100 grams" at the end of the description. The U.S. system of cups and tablespoons is horribly inaccurate. I weigh everything raw, in grams, and enter it that way. Far easier. Keep in mind that for whole-ish foods, you don't need to go by brand names to be in the ball park. You can type chicken, raw and get a base entry. No need to put in Tyson or whatever. For fruits and veggies, enter the plural to get the base entry. Raspberries, raw will get you a more accurate listing than some random brand name. :) It takes time, but you can get your most frequent foods set up with good entries.

Yes, that works. I do it. Currently I jot down the food weight and serving size weight (i.e. bread 39g/34, and log 1.15 svg when entered in MFP). I think it would be nice if the serving weight in grams could be a field for those dropdowns, since frequently the user originally created them with the manufacturer's volume serving size. That way you could simply enter the weight you measured and let MFP do the math from there.

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Just from my own experience...

The nutrition labels on boneless skinless chicken breasts will vary. For 4oz/112g I have bought chicken that ranges from 110 calories to 140 calories.

I finally just create for myself an entry with the USDA figures.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    It drives me crazy searching for accurate caloric information until I step back and think, "I've obviously been doing something right...I didn't get this close to my goal weight quibbling over chicken calories". :)

Seriously, I hear you. So annoying.
  • newmanmb463
    newmanmb463 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    This is good information. I usually cook a large bag of Costco frozen chicken on the grill and then once it's all done, divide it up into 5 oz portions that I re-freeze and bring for lunch. It's been hard to determine the proper calories to use up to now, but I found the USDA entry "Basic Report: 05747, Chicken, broiler or fryers, breast, skinless, boneless, meat only, cooked, grilled", and have created my own entry showing the correct 214 calories for it. Awesome!