Stronglifts 5x5 hack for Planet Fitness?

Options
I've started using the Stronglifts 5x5 app twice a week for strength training. While at my gym today (Planet Fitness) I noticed that not only do they not have free weights, but they don't have barbells in 5lbs increments, or in increments that I could add up to a 5lbs total. For example, they have straight barbells at 40, 50, 60 lbs only, and there are no small barbells that weigh 22.5lbs, etc., that I could add up to 45 lbs. They do have a smith machine where I could add the extra 5 (in 2.5 increments) if needed.

I am not going to switch my gym because PF is by both my house and not even 5 minutes from my work, and my lunchtime is usually the best time for me to get in a half hour of weights.

As I progress through the 5x5 I realize that I'll have to go up 5 lbs at a time. Any suggestions on how I could do this without hurting myself? It seems my options are to either
- Lift until 40 lbs is easy (well, than today, at least) and then go up to 50, or
- Suck it up and use the smith machine when needed.

Thoughts?

Replies

• Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I had a PF membership for a while and tried to do a variation of SS.

You CAN do squats, DL, bench, OHP, rows in the Smith machine. It won't be ideal, and obviously the barbell version is better, but in a pinch if that's all you can do, it's better than Nothing.

I did it for about 6 weeks before I changed gyms. I think the Smith squats gave me a bit of hip pain but your results may vary.

Best of luck!
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I don't quite understand this question. What do you eman by barbells in increments?

An Olympic barbell weighs 45 lbs. There are also "ladies" barbells (in some gyms) that weigh 35 lbs. That's it for bars.

After that, you have to put plates on. Plates typically start at the 2.5 lb. range and go up to 45 lb. "plates".

If you're using the Smith machine, you have to put plates on it, yes?

Is your question that you cannot lift the 45-lb. barbell by itself? (If so, I'd recommend using dumbbells until you're strength is up).
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    There are fixed "barbells":

troy-commercial-fixed-weight-barbell-rack-bb10-6.gif

They allow for more stability than separate dumbbells, while allowing one to progress up to the actual bar. Mostly I see people use them for bicep curls and Romanian deadlifts, or for bench when the actual bar/bells are being used for other lifts. I can't imagine trying to squat or (convential) deadlift them.
  • dstorozuk1928
    dstorozuk1928 Posts: 2 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    those are e-z bars not barbells
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options

Image came up in a Google search for "pre-set barbells." :) Nomenclature aside, I'm pretty sure it's what OP had in mind.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    There's a straight bar version that I've seen at plenty of gyms.

It's what the OP is talking about
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I don't know how far you can progress, but you could try doing dumbbell versions of the lifts.

Here's a thread from Eat, Train, Progress with some dumbbell variations on barbell lifts:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/902569/barbell-routines-when-you-only-have-dumbbells/p1
  • Metruis
    Metruis Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    PF is not a Stronglifts gym. They ban deadlifts, man, eventually you WILL outgrow it.

In the meantime, if you insist, I recommend getting one of these. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Everlast-Ankle-Wrist-Weights-Adjustable-5-Pound-pair-of-2-5-Lbs-each-/231575617554?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35eafb8012 (not affiliated with seller, just posting link as an example) So then you can just strap an extra 5 pounds onto the bar that way.

Smith machines don't allow for a proper range of motion, so yeah... don't hurt yourself.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Metruis wrote: »
    PF is not a Stronglifts gym. They ban deadlifts, man, eventually you WILL outgrow it.

In the meantime, if you insist, I recommend getting one of these. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Everlast-Ankle-Wrist-Weights-Adjustable-5-Pound-pair-of-2-5-Lbs-each-/231575617554?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35eafb8012 (not affiliated with seller, just posting link as an example) So then you can just strap an extra 5 pounds onto the bar that way.

Smith machines don't allow for a proper range of motion, so yeah... don't hurt yourself.

Where did you get this info about PF banned DLs? I've PF membership and regularly do traditional and Sumo DLs.

They are not banned at any of PF I go to - I've Black membership so pretty much visited all PFs in my area.

I agree it's a pain doing Squats @ Smith m/c. Be extra careful with squats form.

EDTA : Not all PFs are same so it would be interesting to know if DLs are banned at certain locations. UGH!!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Step #1: join a real gym
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »

Where did you get this info about PF banned DLs? I've PF membership and regularly do traditional and Sumo DLs.

They are not banned at any of PF I go to - I've Black membership so pretty much visited all PFs in my area.

I agree it's a pain doing Squats @ Smith m/c. Be extra careful with squats form.

EDTA : Not all PFs are same so it would be interesting to know if DLs are banned at certain locations. UGH!!

I belonged to a PF for a brief time in the winter just for cardio when the weather was *kitten*. DLs weren't allowed and there was no squat machine. Pretty much ez bars and dumbbells.

OP...PF isn't a gym designed for power lifting...Stronglifts is a powerlifting program.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »

mkNmDUQ.jpg

I believe as a whole planet fitness bans deadlifting and other compound exercises due to insurance ( I could be wrong about the insurance part). Individual gyms will over look the policy and still allow people to do the exercises.

There were very similar signs to the one on top of my post around the Planet Fitness I used to go to but they allowed people to dead lift.

OP: could you do the exercises with dumbbells?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    The cheap come out expensive.

Join a real gym that allows you to lift or pay the price.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    wants to work hard on a lifting program

doesn't want to put in the effort to travel to a decent gym

seems legit
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Honestly if I were you I would select a different gym or select a different program.

If you are training Stronglifts to get strong at the squat, bench, and deadlift then you pretty much have to select a different gym because the equipment there won't allow you to do those exercises properly.

If you are training Stronglifts for general fitness or hypertrophy or reasons outside of the desire to get proficient at squatting and pulling and pressing, then select a different program.

For starters I would probably set something up like this and I'm not really being thorough here but this would get you started:

Workout A
    Goblet Squat
    DB Press
    DB RDL
    Push accessory
    Pull accessory

Workout B
    Goblet Squat
    DB OHP
    Incline DB row
    Arm accessory
    Unilateral leg accessory

Something like that but you'd probably stay closer to an 8-12 rep range on the squat/press/pull main lifts and closer to 10-15 in the accessory movements and handle the progression by adding 1 rep per week to move you from the low end to the top end range and once you complete all reps (ex: once you are able to get 3x12) you increase DB weight and move to the bottom end of the rep range.

Plenty of ways to program it but this is just an example.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Hi buddy. My story had perfect timing. I woke up and realized i needed to lift. There was no way i could do it in PF. Only one option could be Smith machine (I know, yuck). Anyway i moved to a place where golds was a couple of blocks away. I left PF and joined Golds and it's been great ever since. They are reasonable ($41.00 a month - yeah i can't really afford it but I use it a lot). You may have to buy a squat rack or change gyms
  • Athena1007
    Athena1007 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    There are fixed "barbells":

troy-commercial-fixed-weight-barbell-rack-bb10-6.gif

They allow for more stability than separate dumbbells, while allowing one to progress up to the actual bar. Mostly I see people use them for bicep curls and Romanian deadlifts, or for bench when the actual bar/bells are being used for other lifts. I can't imagine trying to squat or (convential) deadlift them.

This is what I meant, and yes, I was able to squat and bench press with them today.

Interesting thing about the deadlifts and PF. When I was doing them the other day, a staff member came over and helped me with my form. It must vary by gym, I think they're all independently owned.
    If you are training Stronglifts for general fitness or hypertrophy or reasons outside of the desire to get proficient at squatting and pulling and pressing, then select a different program.

@SideSteel, this is somewhat true. I want to get stronger, and my goal is overall strength, not necessarily do I can squat x amount and whatnot. I'm not married to the program but a good friend of mine swears by it so I thought I'd try it. It's not my first tango with free weights, either, which is why I was suprized that there were so little. Perhaps I'll try your suggestion too.
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I got a set of 5 pound ankle weights when I was in a similar situation. Strapped them to the bar and called it a day.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    OP, SL or any other compund lift program is not supposed to be done with e-z bars, they are supposed to be done with olympic bars. If you are not yet at a position to lift an empty bar, then start with modified versions of the exercises to use dumbbells. Perfectly acceptable and not at all "wrong".
    I have no idea about whether PF where you are can help with a compound lift program. I am in Europe and actually PF in my area has a huge free weight area compared to most gyms. My only complaint so far was no squat rack, but this has been recently solved to a point (not the most convenient setup where it has been placed, but there is no more space in the room). I have also had a lot of help from trainers whenever I asked them to watch my form and lots of advice.