Binge Eating................ How to stop the emotional roller coaster?

Options

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    serribrat wrote: »
    Hi Charlie, everything you've written resonates nearly exactly with my experience.

I also am chronically depressed, but choose to abstain from medication because I don't want to lose all sense of who I am.

common misconception of what medication can do. yes, some medications can do that but the right medication can work miracles. its a matter of finding the right one with the help of your doctor.
    Saying things like that only keeps people from asking for help because they are afraid this will happen.

Due to medication, I found myself admist the fog and swamp of my depression and anxiety

Medication may not be needed for everyone. but let's not perpetuate myths
  • bogvarmint
    bogvarmint Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Charlie003 wrote: »
    Depressed people, are not depressed over anything specific. I believe that coddling a depressed individual only ligitimises their mental state. They do not need support, they need empowerment. I am not depressed now. So I can think clearly, but, when it hits, rational thought goes out the window. The trick, is to find something to ground yourself during these times.
    this i agree and struggle with also, when a binge hits i restrict it till 12am so my next day can be fresh start. I forgive myself and talk to myself as if i would a friend in that position. Whats done is done, try not to make it anyworse, have a bath and a good sleep yada yad. Moat of the time it works for me but once in a while ill have a whole binge week and then hate myself for it. It's a hard battle my friend but with some trying iut different methods and determination and awareness of what sets off your binges. They qill get less and less :)

• serribrat
    serribrat Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Moyer,

I can only speak to my experience. Medication is certainly a good option for many, but it is not the only option. I am at a place where I am surviving without medication, a decision which has been acknowledged and supervised by my doctor, and I think that is a reality for lots of people with chronic depression. My doctor and I have been unable to find a medication that alleviates the depression without side effects that are, at least in my opinion, as bad as or worse than the depression itself. If I can cope without it, why not?

I don't appreciate your attempt to invalidate my experience as a "myth" because you disagree with it.
  • RCnFinntastic
    RCnFinntastic Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Depressed people, are not depressed over anything specific. I believe that coddling a depressed individual only ligitimises their mental state. They do not need support, they need empowerment. I am not depressed now. So I can think clearly, but, when it hits, rational thought goes out the window. The trick, is to find something to ground yourself during these times.

I am suggesting that both your selves are you, but you legitimize only one half. So the other half is gonna break out of boot camp once in a while and have a good time on the town.

Though depression may be chemical and generalized, my depressions have a root cause. It might be SAD. It could be a relationship dysfunction that I am ignoring. My depression will come back if I don't address the root cause. I don't tell my inner self to knuckle under and just take it.

To ground yourself, I'm suggesting you find peace with yourself. All of you.

Coddling. Pish. Acknowledge. Legitimize. Allow the weaker feelings a safe way to express themselves. Maybe then you won't have to resort to food.

Now for chemical imbalance like bipolar disorder or chronic depression, medication may be the only way out.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBjl7yqLWOw

jgnatca is wise.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    bogvarmint wrote: »
    .... I forgive myself and talk to myself as if i would a friend in that position. Whats done is done, try not to make it anyworse, have a bath and a good sleep yada yad....

I think positive self talk and forgiveness, at least as much as we would offer a friend, is so important.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    Medication may not be needed for everyone. but let's not perpetuate myths

@serribrat , I believe the myth that must be challenged is that all medications rob the patient of their personality. I don't think there was any intent to invalidate your experience.

I don't think it is a fail if someone needs medication to overcome depression.
  • woznube7
    woznube7 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story. And all the replies.. so helpful! I too, am struggling with this battle. Depression sucksss... emotional eating sucks... but it's even harder to find "what is the trigger".. so when someone asks that, what do you say?! I don't know why.. except for I get sad, upset, etc. But there's always more.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    @woznube7 , a strategy might be as simple as this:

I am tempted in to emotional eating (anger) after a stressful day at work. I deal with this in several ways. I have a controlled snack before I leave work so I am not legitimately hungry. I have hard, crunchy foods available like popcorn and celery if I really need to chow down. I go for a walk or do some mindful breathing to get myself in to a different emotional state.

So understanding the cause doesn't mean that I must, say, resolve the unresolvable (work idiot), but I can control my environment and my responses so that I am guided to a healthier response.
  • woznube7
    woznube7 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    @jgnatca: Yes, thank you. Those are a few things that I have been trying to incorporate. But old habits die hard. Not that I CAN'T, because I CAN. Just have to remind myself that I can and will and am good enough, etc. That is where I struggle. That is where the tornado happens.

It's a matter of perfection and being too hard on myself. And I get it. I do, but it's hard going forward and taking steps back to not want to give up. The disappointment is torture in itself.
  • Charlie003
    Charlie003 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Very insightful replies. Medication, well, the ones I have been given, turns men into women, if you get me, so....no. Plus, it does make emotions harder to come by. You do not feel, like a Vulcan. This is my experience. As I said, my issues are chemical. So, loving myself, is not an issue. I know what I am, and I know what I need, I just have not found the vehicle that will drive the solution.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options

I'm quite honestly not sure what you mean by 'empowered'. Are you saying anyone feeling sad should just suck it up and deal? That doesn't work with clinical depression. Granted, there are people that just say they're depressed because they feel sad and just want a happy pill. And there are people that have times when they feel depressed, which is perfectly normal, but they're able to pull out of that. And sometimes pulling out of that requires help and support from friends. Think about it, if you have to deal with the death of a loved one, that'll make you sad and depressed. It should, really. Wouldn't you want your friends and family supporting you through that? Or would you want them 'empowering' you, however you mean it by?

But that kind of sadness is normal in the course of life. Real clinical depression is a chemical problem with the brain. It's a constant undertone to everything you do in your life. It manifests differently for everyone. For me, it's the fail cycle. It's a voice inside my head telling me I suck and just repeated variations of that constantly. I had other issues too, but that was the worse one. My doctor and I tried various things, including getting my B12 back up to normal. That helped, but there was still a lot of issues that I had trouble dealing with. I did eventually go on meds, which helps me keep balanced. It's not a happy pill, it's just something that helps me shut the voice up before it goes on for days. Doing so helps me keep emotions under better control, which allows me to interact with people better. I needed help, which took me a very long time to admit, and I didn't want meds. I still don't like being dependent on them to function normally. But it is what it is.

• Charlie003
    Options
    I do not mean for people to say "Suck it up". I mean more like, you can beat this, It is not beyond you to beat. Instead of "Poor you. Aww, you will get better soon". But that is my personal way of thinking, how it works for me. Everyone is different and will respond differently to different things. The only right answer is the one that helps each individual person. I am just looking for mine.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I am stealing this from some article I saw online, but unfortunately can't remember who wrote it (sorry author!). But the guy said that being in a binge is like having a dream. You don't even know you're in it until it's too late. But you can try to identify some commonalities that occur BEFOREHAND so you can prepare. For me the signs to look out for a possible binge are:

- Being alone. That means my kids are out of the house or asleep and my husband is working late/traveling/etc. This is rare, so I think I end up viewing it as an "opportunity" and then it gets out of control
    - Not having what I REALLY want to eat available at home, so I end up going crazy over something mediocre since it never satisfies me.

So when I find myself in the above scenario, my radar is way up and it often prevents me from starting a binge in the first place because I'm aware that this is a strong possibility.

If you can develop a checklist of where/when you typically are during a binge you might be able to catch yourself before it happens. Maybe not every time, but SOME times is better than never.
  • Charlie003
    Options
    a PRE-EMPTIVE BINGE STRIKE.........could work.
  • Sorova
    Sorova Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Charlie, I've definitely had issues with binge eating in the past (that loss of control feeling) and although it wasn't due to depression I think my suggestions might still be relevant for you.

For me, weight loss and fitness are easy, even pleasant, when I am paying attention and my logical brain is in charge. I can rationally assess whether or not a treat is worth it. But every now and then, I used to have binge experiences, usually lasting from 1 hour to 2 days. Essentially for me what happened in those situations was my logical brain seemed to shut off and compulsion would take over. I'd eat food I didn't really want, barely enjoy it, and feel confused about why I was doing it, but it still seemed impossible to stop. It's like my logical brain was disengaged.

What has worked for me is essentially to create mechanisms/scaffolding that force my logical brain to re-engage, to pay attention - mechanisms that don't allow the inertia of a mindless binge to go unchallenged. For example:

- In my phone's address book, the local delivery restaurant names are all "THINK ABOUT IT - Fred's Pizza" or whatever. If I'm on the verge of a mindless binge, that's often enough to wake me up. Having pizza is fine, even if it means going over calories, as long as I am consciously deciding to have pizza. The key is to not be mindless about it.
    - I have reminders for a bunch of stuff, for example, a smartphone app that prompts me for a weight update at regular intervals and an app that sends me messages if I don't log any food or workouts for a while. Prevents me from being able to pretend everything is fine if I go off track.
    - I journal regularly, and if I notice myself feeling out of control, I write about it before eating anything. This helps me immensely because often the real problem is I am frustrated about something and writing helps me get to the source. Writing also helps me pay active attention to the cravings to see them for what they are.
    - I increase the difficulty of getting crap food: if I want ice cream I go out for it. No pints in the fridge means I can't lose control and devour one. Having to drive to the grocery store increases the chance of the brain kicking in.

And overall I have worked for greater self-awareness and tried to understand my eating emotional patterns better. The more I understand, the better I handle it. I still have the urges now and then, but I recognize them for what they are and I can deal with them rationally. It's kind of like being your own psychologist: "Ah, you want to eat an entire pint of ice cream, eh? Why do you think that is? Did you have a hard day? Are you worried about something?" Binging doesn't really happen anymore, happily!

I also make sure that I am eating enough food and enough sleep. I have developed other coping mechanisms for stress and frustration: walking, music, going out for a drink with friends and talking.

Hope this helps!
  • Charlie003
    Options
    Thats a really good strategy. And you described exactly how it is for me as well. Thanks.
  • teacherflame
    teacherflame Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for bringing up this problem, Charlie003. I don't consider myself depressed, but, at certain times, my job is relentless. When the stress is high (and gym time is not to be found), I reach for doughnuts, candy bars, or anything that contains unhealthy quantities of sugar. (Normally, I don't have much of a "sweet tooth.") After I inhale two candy bars and a doughnut, I start swimming in self-loathing. What you described differs a bit, but these replies have given me some strategies to consider. Thanks again!
  • suess26
    suess26 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think we all (especially dieters) have an emotional eating HABIT we created to deal with stress, fear, loneliness, happiness, success, boredom, sadness and habits are hard to change unless you recognize it, accept it, replace it with a different (good) habit and most of all Believe it is possible. Binge eating, drinking, smoking etc all follow the same behavior of cue, response, outcome find the cue but change the response to achieve the outcome you want. This is all from the book "Power of Habit" it is fantastic book. The author also correlates over eating with alcoholics and how it is the same process to overcome both. Good luck!
  • jenmovies
    jenmovies Posts: 346 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Don't buy the bad foods, and wait. Seriously, drink water, drink tea and just breathe. Wait. While you wait, think repeatedly about how bingeing is just doing you harm. I struggle with it every day. I almost threw away a whole wheel of my favourite thing in the world (cheese) today. Instead, I cut off a few slices and put the rest in the fridge. Because I waited, and thought about it, I made a better decision (and did not waste food). You'll never, ever be cured. Just learn how to deal with it one day at a time. Good luck!
  • jenmovies
    jenmovies Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I always liked this quote from Game of Thrones. "What do we say to death?" "Not today."
    Maybe you could replace death with your binge monster. "Not today." (Not ever.)