Sugar cravings going cold turkey

Options
2»

Replies

• jamesPercy1985
    jamesPercy1985 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I don't think you mean going cold turkey from sugar in general, because there are sugars in fruits and vegetables.

I'm assuming you mean that you want to go cold turkey from foods with added sugars. Or at least close to it.

I found that the best way to do that is to just do it.

Try to stick to real whole single ingredient foods. From my experience it is more than possible. And eat until you are full.

If you need a chocolate fix, 85% (or greater) dark chocolate with 3 ingredients or less is something that is quite easy to learn to like, solves cravings well, and fills you up. The relative added sugar content is quite low. And it's a desert with nutrients and is friendly to friendly gut bugs.

After a few weeks you probably won't crave the junk as much. And if you're like me, you won't crave the junk for years.

Yer it's the added stuff not the fruit type,
    It's crazy to say but it's like you have one biscuit and befor you know it your dunked 10 of them or your siting there and driving your self crazy thinking about sweet stuf
  • jamesPercy1985
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    You might want to recheck your nutrition info.

According to this site...

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/gb/groceries/quaker-oat-so-simple-golden-syrup-flavour-porridge-x10-36g?langId=44&storeId=10151&krypto=Ck5VT7kXol2UneJ0TPB9klgA+TFCimSV11g14x/pV/KZEoFoiN6yfTvWouocsKTudSG/fW80/SBb cyeupEHCtteH2cEj85/v9zUaPwqcUbq2ZwY29LkmYLm36+R+brGx&ddkey=http:gb/groceries/quaker-oat-so-simple-golden-syrup-flavour-porridge-x10-36g

Sugar is the 2nd ingredient listed...

Ingredients

Quaker Wholegrain Rolled Oats (76%), Sugar, Natural Flavouring, Salt

According to the nutrition label there is 21.5g of sugar in 100g of your porridge. Complete nutrition label is about 1/2 down the page.

Yip your Wright there
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Swiftlet66 wrote: »
    Cut out added sugars (candies, sweets, cakes, anything that is boxed or man made, Etc). Indulge in lots of fruits. Fruit is high in fiber (for pooing) and in nutrients. You don't want to cut those out. Do this strictly for one month-two months. That's what I did. Now I have no cravings for sweets whatsoever and they are nonexistent in my daily diet. I don't even think about food all the time anymore. And even when I eat a piece of a cake at a party every now and then, I now find that it is too sickly sweet and usually don't finish it, not because it's high calorie but because I just don't like it anymore. Trust me, you won't miss the sweets. And if you feel you don't want sweets in your diet anymore, ignore those people who keep telling you to eat in moderation and have a little sweets every day. It's your diet, do what you like, as long as you get enough calories in.

I am not the OP but this is very inspiring. I do not want to be a slave to any daily sugar-laden 'treat' no matter how moderate, or any other food cravings for that matter. Thank you for sharing.

so is ok to be a slave to fruit sugar then????

again, you make zero sense.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Cut out added sugars (candies, sweets, cakes, anything that is boxed or man made, Etc). Indulge in lots of fruits. Fruit is high in fiber (for pooing) and in nutrients. You don't want to cut those out. Do this strictly for one month-two months. That's what I did. Now I have no cravings for sweets whatsoever and they are nonexistent in my daily diet. I don't even think about food all the time anymore. And even when I eat a piece of a cake at a party every now and then, I now find that it is too sickly sweet and usually don't finish it, not because it's high calorie but because I just don't like it anymore. Trust me, you won't miss the sweets. And if you feel you don't want sweets in your diet anymore, ignore those people who keep telling you to eat in moderation and have a little sweets every day. It's your diet, do what you like, as long as you get enough calories in.

so replace one form of sugar with another form of sugar?
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

I am not the OP but this is very inspiring. I do not want to be a slave to any daily sugar-laden 'treat' no matter how moderate, or any other food cravings for that matter. Thank you for sharing.

Uh, no... see, that would be covered by the "or any other food cravings" bit of my post.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Uh, no... see, that would be covered by the "or any other food cravings" bit of my post.

I was specifically referring to the sugar part.

sugar = sugar, no matter how badly you want to demonize it.
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    IMHO Life is too short to not enjoy a cup of ice cream in the summer or a few dark chocolates and a glass of wine on the weekend. I like to 'earn' my treats by logging, watching my macros and keeping active. If I get a craving for something I know I really shouldn't have, I get a big glass of water or take a 10 minute power walk. Or I'll lift my kettle bell or dumb bells. Anything to distract me seems to help.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options

You know what? Quit attacking everyone who says they have trouble with processed sugar and wants to reduce or eliminate it. This is not "demonizing" sugar. It is part of trying to get a handle on what for some people is an impediment to healthy weight loss. This is truly an issue for some people.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »

You know what? Quit attacking everyone who says they have trouble with processed sugar and wants to reduce or eliminate it. This is not "demonizing" sugar. It is part of trying to get a handle on what for some people is an impediment to healthy weight loss. This is truly an issue for some people.

saying that one is a slave to sugar is in fact demonizing it.

sugar addiction is a myth.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Just stop.
  • adnaram
    adnaram Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Whether it's a myth or not, sometimes walking away from something for a while allows you to regain perspective, doesn't it? Are you saying that it's not good to avoid something that you feel is keeping you from achieving your goals? I'm just curious what your plan would be.

That being said, I enjoy fruit in moderation and will go back to having processed sugar in moderation once I've overcome the habit of seeking it for comfort constantly. I work with my macros daily and feel like I can keep it in balance better with **mostly** unprocessed foods.

• ndj1979
    Options
    adnaram wrote: »
    Whether it's a myth or not, sometimes walking away from something for a while allows you to regain perspective, doesn't it? Are you saying that it's not good to avoid something that you feel is keeping you from achieving your goals? I'm just curious what your plan would be.

That being said, I enjoy fruit in moderation and will go back to having processed sugar in moderation once I've overcome the habit of seeking it for comfort constantly. I work with my macros daily and feel like I can keep it in balance better with **mostly** unprocessed foods.

I am saying that avoiding one form of sugar because one feels the other form of sugar is superior is totally unnecessary and utterly ridiculous.

eating too much of anything will derail your goals.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options

Not everyone is a "slave" to sugar or any other food for that matter. If you feel that way maybe there are issues that go beyond the actual food itself you need to get help with if you feel like you're a slave to any kind of food.
  • jamesPercy1985
    Options
    Some good pointers and for those that say sugar is sugar I do also agreed to that , but I do get told there is a difference between the two