"Fed Up" & Recommended Sugar Intake

I just finished watching a very enlightening documentary called "Fed Up" - if you have Netflix, I suggest watching it.
What I largely took away from it was that our "recommended" sugar intake in the USA is far too high. Most websites will suggest that 25% of your daily caloric intake should be from sugar (ANY sugar).
When in reality, the suggestion should be more like 10%.
So for someone on a 2000 calorie diet, you should ingest no more than 200 cals from sugar.
Just to give you an idea how much sugar that is, 1 gram of sugar is 4 calories. So no more than 50 grams on a 2000 cal diet.
Have you ever noticed how there isn't a % of your daily intake next to sugar on food labels??? There's a reason for that...because there is far too much sugar in processed food!
I have been slowly lowering my sugar intake, and I am SHOCKED at the difference in my stamina, energy and general health.
Closely monitor your sugar intake for a week and you will too!!

Replies

• Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited June 2015
    Fed Up=Epic Fail. Lots of threads already going about this train wreck of a 'documentary'-search option is towards the top.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    It was one of the dumbest things I have ever watched.

Soda causes obesity. Sure it does.

Also I was one of those kids. 205 at age 14 and kept increasing in high school. You have to blame the user too. Yes the parents buy the food and ya da da blah blah. I bet if they asked those kids how much more food they ate that there parents didn't know about then they would see the real issue.
  • raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Oh, what a happy day it will be when Netflix pulls that "documentary"!
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Here we go again.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Why is this topic posted each day? I'm thinking this is actually spam to push the documentary more and should be treated as such. Notice the posts are always worded in the same way, never questioning the content but pushing it as truth.
  • yopeeps025
    Why is this topic posted each day? I'm thinking this is actually spam to push the documentary more and should be treated as such. Notice the posts are always worded in the same way, never questioning the content but pushing it as truth.

You might have a point there. MFP will just say it like it is every time anyways.
  • auntstephie321
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

You might have a point there. MFP will just say it like it is every time anyways.

True, but it's further marketing for it. The longer the thread stays at the top the more people jump on the band wagon. And if these forums are searchable on google it'll help keep it popping up. I'll keep marking it as spam.

If someone wants to discuss dietary sugar without mentioning this specific video then have at it.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    I'm fed up with posts about this travesty of a mockumentary.
  • yopeeps025

True, but it's further marketing for it. The longer the thread stays at the top the more people jump on the band wagon. And if these forums are searchable on google it'll help keep it popping up. I'll keep marking it as spam.

If someone wants to discuss dietary sugar without mentioning this specific video then have at it.

Just so you are aware yes these forums are searchable on Google.
  • raelynnsmama52512
    I'm fed up with posts about this travesty of a mockumentary.

I see what you did there :wink:
  • auntstephie321
    edited June 2015

Just so you are aware yes these forums are searchable on Google.

Yep thought so. Explains these types of posts coming up daily. People get paid for this, it's all marketing.

ETA: further devalues the content of that video
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Why does it matter what the threads state. I find it hilarious to downright on-the-floor laughable that people think there are enough experts on the forums to make them more legitimate than a documentary. I have my own issues with the documentary - but on the base level - it's obvious that refined carbs are having a real impact on the general population. Those who avoid them (like me) find that it's easy to maintain weight - and eat more food in volume and have the energy to operate throughout the day in any capacity.

Who says it's not MFP staff/moderators just conjuring up something here to create activity on the forum. Why would it have to be anyone individual on the outside - if anything, there's more incentive for MFP staff/mods to pose fake accounts and create posts like this to enflame the masses and keep the forums active.

Whatever the case - all I know is I am a lot healthier avoiding refined carbs and sticking to a whole foods diet. More probably than not is what I like to say - better off to be on this side of it than the other side.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    I just finished watching a very enlightening documentary called "Fed Up" - if you have Netflix, I suggest watching it.
    What I largely took away from it was that our "recommended" sugar intake in the USA is far too high. Most websites will suggest that 25% of your daily caloric intake should be from sugar (ANY sugar).
    When in reality, the suggestion should be more like 10%.
    So for someone on a 2000 calorie diet, you should ingest no more than 200 cals from sugar.
    Just to give you an idea how much sugar that is, 1 gram of sugar is 4 calories. So no more than 50 grams on a 2000 cal diet.
    Have you ever noticed how there isn't a % of your daily intake next to sugar on food labels??? There's a reason for that...because there is far too much sugar in processed food!
    I have been slowly lowering my sugar intake, and I am SHOCKED at the difference in my stamina, energy and general health.
    Closely monitor your sugar intake for a week and you will too!!

I get abut 70+ grams of sugar and my blood work comes back nearly perfect every year and I am down about nine pounds on this cut.

sugar is not evil
  • ndj1979
    Why does it matter what the threads state. I find it hilarious to downright on-the-floor laughable that people think there are enough experts on the forums to make them more legitimate than a documentary. I have my own issues with the documentary - but on the base level - it's obvious that refined carbs are having a real impact on the general population. Those who avoid them (like me) find that it's easy to maintain weight - and eat more food in volume and have the energy to operate throughout the day in any capacity.

Who says it's not MFP staff/moderators just conjuring up something here to create activity on the forum. Why would it have to be anyone individual on the outside - if anything, there's more incentive for MFP staff/mods to pose fake accounts and create posts like this to enflame the masses and keep the forums active.

Whatever the case - all I know is I am a lot healthier avoiding refined carbs and sticking to a whole foods diet. More probably than not is what I like to say - better off to be on this side of it than the other side.

yes, and I eat refined carbs and sugar and I am a lot healthier too. so my n=1 trumps your n=1

• auntstephie321
    MrM27 wrote: »
    OP, you know the movie you're talking about is not providing good information when a bunch of the people on this site that are big proponents of low carb and paying extra attention to sugar intake say it's a bad source.

Yep
  • rhoule76
    rhoule76 Posts: 217 Member
    First post by OP, sounds like a troll to me :)
  • raelynnsmama52512
    MrM27 wrote: »

So what you're saying is that no matter what information is presented as long as it's in a documentary it's more valid that anyone's opinion here?

Seems legit.....
  • yopeeps025

Interesting view you got there.

• ndj1979

puts on tin foil hat and heads for basement...

yea, I am sure that the mods love digging through all these level five dumpsters fires....
  • auntstephie321
    edited June 2015

Interesting view you got there.

True could be either, clearly isn't an individual looking to have a conversation on the topic

ETA: though I do think mfp could come up with something more creative than this same one daily