June 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

Today is National Running Day. :)

Anyone use the Charity Miles app? It's really neat. Each mile you track earns a donation to a charity of your choosing (on the app, there's a bunch). Walking and running is $0.25 per mile and biking is $0.10 per mile. I always donate mine toward Wounded Warrior Project. It's not much, but it's still something.
  • cheliebee
    cheliebee Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
  • jlbrown1985
    jlbrown1985 Posts: 136 Member
    Options

exercise.png

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Anyone use the Charity Miles app? It's really neat. Each mile you track earns a donation to a charity of your choosing (on the app, there's a bunch). Walking and running is $0.25 per mile and biking is $0.10 per mile. I always donate mine toward Wounded Warrior Project. It's not much, but it's still something.

I've downloaded it but haven't used it. How well does it work if you run it with other running apps, such as Strava, Runkeeper, et al?

• karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    6/1 - 4.0 miles, still a little tender from Saturday's race
    6/2 - 4.25 miles; 8.25/120
    6/3 - 4 miles, indoor track; weights/abs
  • MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

I've downloaded it but haven't used it. How well does it work if you run it with other running apps, such as Strava, Runkeeper, et al?

It runs in the background like other apps. I have several GPS tracking apps all running and tracking at the same time. It's a very simple app - only to track miles to calculate your donation, so it doesn't show a map or speak to you - just start run and end run.
  • Pandora_and_her_box
    Pandora_and_her_box Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    @caratayloruk I love a morning run. I find it really sets me up for the day and it's so good to know you've already got that under your belt while half the world is either still sleeping or just about conscious and crunching on their cornflakes!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    3 miles down, 37 to go!
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    6/02/15 - 6.25 miles
    6/03/15 - 3.3 miles

Arite, so we bought this treadmill in February because my husband was sick of me dragging him to the gym (yeah, I know - but whatever) and I thought I had lost all kinds of endurance with my ankle injury because it was such a struggle to run at 5.0 mph on this treadmill when only weeks earlier I had been consistently pushing 6.1 or 6.2 mph runs on the treadmills at the gym. Well, my treadmill is just calibrated so that it will claim 5.0 when I'm really running faster than 5.5 mph. I haven't got an exact number. Today was the first time I have been able to run a 5k on this 'mill faster than 30 minutes. It feels like a great success. Now I need to prove it with an official sub-30:00 5k race!

exercise.png

• louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    5km on Monday and 5km this morning too, 10km down, 65km to go :)
  • emmy15rocks
    emmy15rocks Posts: 73 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Yay I am back! Missed my goal for May due to illness/family emergency but I wanna get going again :) Going to aim for 25 miles as I am in the middle of my exams so know I'll probably miss a few runs for studying!
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    First run of the month. 3 miles down 27 to go.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

1/6 - Recovery
    2/6 - 14.4 miles (2 runs Trail) Hill repeats
    3/2 - 11.2 Miles (Trail easy pace)

An easy Paced Trail run today a lovely way to enjoy #nationalrunningday
  • fit_at_fifty
    fit_at_fifty Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    day 3 done 36.2 miles to go :smiley:

exercise.png
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @shanaber: good to hear that your new shoes (the first half, anyway) fit so well. I hadn't even heard of Skora shoes until now. Love the colors :-)

@lenny: running a 5k with your daughter sounds great, I'm sure you'll have lots of fun.

@autumnblade75 : a miscalibrated threadmill, that's tough. But looking at the bright side, you can be happy now that you are actually running faster than you though - better than the other way around. How did you figure it out?
    I would love a sub-30 5k race time! I'll run my second 5k next Sunday, but I don't think I'm quite there yet.

Yesterday I had a chance to make up for my missed run on the weekend:
    2.6.2015 - 14.0km

exercise.png

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    [quote="_nikkiwolf_;32755029@autumnblade75 : a miscalibrated threadmill, that's tough. But looking at the bright side, you can be happy now that you are actually running faster than you though - better than the other way around. How did you figure it out?
    I would love a sub-30 5k race time! I'll run my second 5k next Sunday, but I don't think I'm quite there yet.
    [/quote]

I ran outside a few times with my GPS, and the results were much closer to what I was expecting. The treadmill still feels harder than I think it should. I have no confirmation of miscalibration, but it's off by enough that I trust it's not just my imagination. I'm saying this purely because of perceived effort.

I was unhappy at first - and if truth be told, I'd still prefer a properly calibrated 'mill - but now I just try to use it to my advantage.

Seriously, the race results in my profile pic happened while I was still believing that my treadmill was telling me the truth, and I was expecting 12 minute miles based on the lies. Those 10 minute miles were not particularly "hard" miles. I was trying not to push my barely healed ankle. I PR'd! And I thought I was taking it easy! That proved to me that my treadmill was absolutely not correct.

• karynclarke
    karynclarke Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm new to the forums, but this sounds like a brilliant idea! I'm quite new to this running malarkey, I'm 2/3 of the way through Week 6 of Zenlab's C25K app. Last month I racked up 70 miles, but I was off work for the month. I'm back in work now, so I'm going to set my goal this month at 50 miles :)

exercise.png
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I guess that race time was a very nice surprise! If you got that PR taking it easy, I'm sure a sub-30:00 5k is just around the corner for you.

The only time I ran on a threadmill, I found it increadibly hard. Part of it might be that I somehow remembered that I read you should set a mill to a 10% incline to equal the wind resistance and forward movement you'd get outside. Those were really miserable 40 minutes with more than one walking break. I found out later that I'd remembered wrong and you were supposed to set it to 1%, but the experience was horrible enough that I never tried again ;-)
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Added another 5.1k this morning for a monthly total so far of 10.1/70.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    5k pb today.
    20/100k.