Question about C25K

Options
So I am wanting to run a 5K this summer. I already run 1 mile a day/3 to 4 days a week. I run with a class as part of our warmup and we only run a mile. I can run the whole thing but have never tried to run further (although I beleive I could go more). So my question is, if I start the C25K, do I start at the beginning or somewhere in the middle? Any suggestions? TIA

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I would start from the beginning
  • Aninha_PP
    Aninha_PP Posts: 32
    Options
    Start from the beginning. Or you could add 10% a week in that 1 mile you already can do!
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I would start at the beginning. The increments will allow you to go further and you will be surprised at how quickly you transition to running a lot. Good luck! it is a great program.
  • yes_i_can
    yes_i_can Posts: 419
    Options
    I would recommend starting at the beginning, just because the shorter intervals will make you more aware of your stride, breathing, etc. You'll probably find it rather easy until week 5 though, if you're already comfortably doing a mile.

If you do decide to start in the middle, though, I would say week 4 would be a good place. Week 4 will get you used to the intervals, and then week 5 will start to ramp things up as far as time/distance.

Let us know how you do, and feel free to add me as a friend - I'm working my way through C25K as well!!
  • vickyg1
    vickyg1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Yes start at the beginning.
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    You could try a week 2 or 3 session and see how you feel. I started at week 1 and skipped the third repeat of weeks 1 and 2, and often added extra on the end. Now approaching week 5 day 3 and terrified of it!
  • tannaleigh
    tannaleigh Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I agree. I would start at the beginning or no later than week 3. You may find it easy at first, but you should still only increase you runs a little at a time...
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Try one of the beginning workouts, and if it seems too easy, bump yourself up a week, and try that one - keep going til you find the week that starts at a comfortably challenging level. It won't hurt to start from the beginning, but if you are at a higher level already, why delay your progress?
  • stephanieGmo
    Options
    I just started yesterday week 1 day 1. i would think it would be pretty easy for you if you can already run 1 mile. you might get bored. maybe go to week 3.
  • iarookie
    iarookie Posts: 140
    Options
    Yeah- It goes by time intervals not- distance. I would zip through it.. it is only 9 weeks!

I'm stuck on week 5 day 3. =(
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'd start in the middle... If you start at week 4, you'll be running a total of a mile and a half, but broken up in intervals.
  • tawojcik
    tawojcik Posts: 67
    Options
    The website recommends that you do not skip ahead and that everyone (regardless of level) should start on week 1. It is all built on how the intervals progress. I am on week 3 now and as much as I hate running, I really like this.

Good luck.
  • tawojcik
    tawojcik Posts: 67
    Options
    Yeah- It goes by time intervals not- distance. I would zip through it.. it is only 9 weeks!

I'm stuck on week 5 day 3. =(

By week 3, you can do time OR distance. I have choosen distance because that is the ultimate goal....5k...distance...
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I would start at the beginning. get used to the interval work and move through each of the levels, one day at a time until you find the level that is challenging, then pick up the full program at that point.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I think the intervals are real good if you are a beginner to build up your endurance. I would start at like week four to build up the intervals and add to that so that you can run the longer periods. I know when I was at the beginning, running 5 mins straight was a huge feat. You have already done that and it has been recently.

If you are really undecided you could start week one and do 1 day and if you have no problems skip to week 2. The only thing is, I have heard that some people have issues with the walking in the middle, so if you have the stamina you could start where you are.

Best wishes. BTW I did the c25k in 8 weeks not nine so it can be done.
  • monoxidechick
    monoxidechick Posts: 339
    Options
    I agree with the others, I would start at the begining. You could even skip day 3 of the begining weeks and just move ahead faster. GOOD LUCK!!
  • kristanickerson
    kristanickerson Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    There is a group i joined who are starting today. I'm starting all over for about the 3rd time...but yes I would recommend starting from the start you may have a couple easy weeks, but you're still burning calories and building your stamina. My best advice is that if you're going to run outside do that right from the start. It seems a LOT harder outside than it does on the treadmill. I'm trying to save the treadmill for the winter.
  • kristanickerson
    kristanickerson Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    In response to the person having trouble with week 5 day 3

OH no I've been at week 5 before, it gets really hard right around there. I'm starting all over right now, not looking forward to week 5 AGAIN lol stay on it a little longer and push through you can do it.
  • Mandam1018
    Mandam1018 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I think I will start in the beginning and maybe bump it up if I need to.