Is it true that Bananas will make you gain because of the high sugar content?

13»

Replies

• L0vAnj
    L0vAnj Posts: 45 Member
    edited June 2015
    Haahahaha I love you guys, well thank you for all your advice and I'm sorry if it was a retarded question but over all I had to be sure, I want to lose weight i'm really serious about that and I just don't want to screw up again even if it means asking a stupid question :blush: All I know is fast food, so healthy is still pretty new to me.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    I ate 2-3 Bananas a day for the first two months I was tracking calories. I lost weight just fine.
  • M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    L0vAnj wrote: »
    My sister heard this from herbal life so I was wondering, and also potatoes turns into starch fat?

I found your problem, though.

LOL - short and to the point! :smiley:
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    If you
    : want a low carb diet then potatoes are bad
    : carb cycling then you want them only on high carb days

I eat a low carb diet -- low enough it's not uncommon for me to be in ketosis -- and I eat bananas and potatoes both. Not both in the same day and usually not much more than 100g or so at a time but I fit them in easily enough. There is nothing bad about whole foods, IMO, even for those who can't tolerate a lot of carbs.

• Rayrayz93
    Rayrayz93 Posts: 4 Member
    Bananas are really good before a work out! 2 regular sized bananas can fuel an intense 90min workout. I also eat them before and I never feel drained
  • FearlessRobb
    FearlessRobb Posts: 249 Member
    My sister heard this from herbal life so I was wondering, and also potatoes turns into starch fat?

Potatoes are bad but not bad.
    Sweet potatoes are amazing because they have allot of vitamins and antioxidants that your body wants and need. I also find that sweet potatoes taste better
    Regular potatoes are around the same calories per G and same carbs but don't have all the good stuff sweet potatoes do.

If you
    : find they fit your macros go for it. its better than a non natural food

Potato's are not bad. They contain lots of nutrients. If you are doing low carbs, neither sweet potato or potato are going to work for you, but neither are bad.

The issue with potato is often what gets added to it... When fried in oil, or covered in cheese, or baked in fat, made in to mash with mountains of butter and cream etc. The same can be done with sweet potato but it's not the norm.

I know hense why I said if you want low carb potatoes are bad. I didn't meant 1 I mean all
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Bananas are amazing! Never knew one particular food to make anyone fat...just the excess calories consumed along side the banana :-) Plus, many use this food to reach their recommended potassium goals, even though cooked spinach and sweet potatoes are even better options calorie for calorie.
    Don't let companies like herbal life scare you out of any one food, when it fits into your macros it likely fits all the way around.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member

Potatoes are bad but not bad.
    Sweet potatoes are amazing because they have allot of vitamins and antioxidants that your body wants and need. I also find that sweet potatoes taste better
    Regular potatoes are around the same calories per G and same carbs but don't have all the good stuff sweet potatoes do.

If you
    : find they fit your macros go for it. its better than a non natural food

Sorry what? Potatoes are bad but not bad? So are they bad or not? So many arbitrary rules...

OP set a reasonable deficit using MFP guidelines or TDEE. Eat what you like within those guidelines. Exercise if you like, eating back about half your calories (if using MFP method). Log accurately. That's it. Unless you have a medical reason to restrict sugars you don't need to worry about the sugars in bananas or any other food for that matter. And don't take advice from people who sell or promote a particular weight loss product. Ever.