Skinny vegan trying to gain muscle

Options
Hi! I am 21, been vegan for almost two years now. I've always been skinny but since making the change I've become more conscious of my diet choices. I would like to put on lean muscle show the world it is possible to gain muscle without killing anyone. Are there any vegan athletes on here that could offer me some advice on what foods to eat to get the caloric surplus I need?

Replies

• VeggieStef
    VeggieStef Posts: 54 Member
    Options
  • PlumpKitten
    PlumpKitten Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    For some inspiration, this massively muscular NHL player is a vegan.
    (He's retired now and runs a vegetarian restaurant in Montreal)
    http://www.greatveganathletes.com/vegan_athlete_georges-laraque-vegan-ice-hockey-player
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    For some inspiration, this massively muscular NHL player is a vegan.
    (He's retired now and runs a vegetarian restaurant in Montreal)
    http://www.greatveganathletes.com/vegan_athlete_georges-laraque-vegan-ice-hockey-player

He became a vegan long after becoming muscular.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    eat whey protein. whey is a byproduct of milk processing. milking is not killing, otherwise every baby is killing their mom (breastfeeding). Milk cows don't get killed for meat.

Whey isn't vegan. To gain weight and put on muscle, you're going to need to be on a progressive lifting program, and eat in a surplus (see the sticky in this section for good info).

Here's a list of calorie dense food. It's not all vegan, but work with the foods you can eat:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    eat whey protein. whey is a byproduct of milk processing. milking is not killing, otherwise every baby is killing their mom (breastfeeding). Milk cows don't get killed for meat.
    You know veganism is defined as "a person who does not eat or use animal products". Whey is an animal product. So whey is off limits.

• salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,588 Member
    Options

dont do this

• Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

It isn't vegan, and yes the dairy industry does involve killing. The moms get killed when they no longer are profitable, long before the end of their natural lifespan. In order for them to continue producing milk, they also must get pregnant and give birth over and over again, females don't just spontaneously produce milk they need to get rid of! The children get taken away and sent to slaughter. Where do you think veal comes from??
  • Docbanana2002
    Options
    Eat plenty of beans, tofu, nuts/seeds, seitan for protein. If you want to supplement there are a variety of plant based protein powders (soy, rice, pea). For extra calories to reach a surplus, also include avocado, grains, starchy veggies like sweet potatoes, cook with olive oil, plus plenty of fruits and veggies.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    As long as you aren't sensitive to gluten, seitan is a very concentrated vegan source of protein, and easy to make at home. Look for recipes that involve baking it rather than simmering; the simmering method is much trickier.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

I call BS. Cows are forcibly kept pregnant to produce milk and their offspring are killed for veal. Dairy cows are also killed when their milk supply is deemed unsubstantial.

http://www.farmsanctuary.org/learn/factory-farming/dairy/

Wow, the dairy farmers I know back home will be interested to know this is how they're supposed to do business. You know, since they don't actually do it this way.
  • zeroh13
    zeroh13 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You should join the Happy Herbivores group on this site (https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/45-happy-herbivores), you'll be able to talk to other vegan athletes there.

I second checking out the No Meat Athlete site too, I've found really good information there.
  • Docbanana2002
    edited June 2015
    Options

I call BS. Cows are forcibly kept pregnant to produce milk and their offspring are killed for veal. Dairy cows are also killed when their milk supply is deemed unsubstantial.

Wow, the dairy farmers I know back home will be interested to know this is how they're supposed to do business. You know, since they don't actually do it this way.

I'm curious what part of this you think is incorrect? Do you think the cows just magically produce breast milk without having a baby? That a farm would wait around for the cow to take the initiative to mate instead of inseminating them at the right time to keep milk production going strong? That a dairy farm is going to actually let a cow raise her own baby and feed him/her the milk that is supposed to be sold to humans? That farmers can afford to keep herds of male dairy calves and aging female dairy calves roaming around the farm taking up valuable space and eating valuable feed while living to the ripe old age of 20? Of course not, they make veal from the male babies, new dairy cows from the female babies, keep mom on a pregnancy/birth cycle that optimizes milk production, then turn her into meat as soon as she is no longer turning a profit. There probably are some smaller farmers who try to do all these things in as humane a way as possible but if they aren't basically operating this way, they are not going to make a profit.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options

Perhaps it's because the dairy farmers you knew were small-time dairy farmers and weren't suppliers to mass corporations...?

exactly.
  • stinkeye111
    stinkeye111 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If you do decide you want to add a protein powder to your diet--try Ka'Chava. I like it because it is vegan and tastes pretty good, too.
  • Caitoriri
    Caitoriri Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    If you actually are interested in trying protein powders, there are other kinds, non-dairy, to suit your vegan lifestyle. I personally use a mix of whey/casein, but whey is by far not the only kind of protein powder in the world!
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/10-best-tasting-vegan-protein-powders.html
  • telisardh
    telisardh Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have a dairy free shake available that's all natural, gluten free, stimulant free and low glycemic. Message me on Facebook at Telisa Shumaker Prinsen and I'll give you more product info. Right now there's only one dairy free flavor, but I think there will be another one available soon. Awesome no compromise products. Do your homework before you purchase products!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    veganbodybuilding.com/?page=articles
    There are several articles on this page about nutrition and protein for vegans.