• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    So basically you have an overall goal of cut body fat, try to preserver or gain muscle?
    I second some version of Starting Strength, such as original, strong lifts, ice cream fitness / jason blaha program, or any number of variants.
    At 19, assuming you don't have much else going on in your life, you can probably get away with doing the full versions of the programs while doing maintenance calories or a slight deficit, just make sure you get rest.

Well, that makes no sense at all. Wow.
    I mean much else as in stressors, things that will fatigue his CNS.
    At 19, what are the chances he has kids, a career (not a job, a career), a long term partner with shared property, a home to maintain, aging parents that need his help, etc., etc. Any number of things that generate stress and obligations that force schedules on him.
    Sure, I thought my life had stress at 19. Mid 30s me would laugh at 19 year old me's idea of stress.
    I'm also going to assume anyone serious about it that has the actual free time to perform the activity needed to burn enough calories to go through 15 lb of fat in a month has already freed himself up for such a goal.

You're making pretty baseless assumption by looking at what you were at 19 years old. You don't know what any general 19 year old has on his plate. Maybe it's an Ivy League School? Or maybe he does have a child or 2 or 5? Maybe they are broke and he works 2 jobs? Maybe he does sit in his basement all day. So you making your comment before is just one big assumption. Maybe you could have just asked instead. Remember something, the way you might have grown up doesn't mean that's how it was for everyone else.
    First, learn what baseless means. Pretty sure I gave a pretty good basis as to why chances are a 19 year old looking to lose 15 lbs in a month is probably not super stressed.
    And if any of the conditions you spouted apply to how he's living, he can reply FOR HIMSELF, adjust, or ask advice accordingly. That's why I announced "ASSUMING". You sure want to read a metric ton into a comment about what a typical 19 year old's life is like. I'm not his paid dietitian doing an intake interview to figure out how much CNS recovery he has going on. Good grief, I'm a programmer and even I don't get so uptight about worrying about edge cases over making the common case fast.
    FYI, I went to University of Michigan (the Ivy of the Midwest) school of engineering (and for the program I was in, the UM is ranked higher than Harvard or Yale). Still not as stressful as having kids and a mortgage.

Did your parents pay you through school? I had to pay my and my wife's tuition by working full time and going to school full time 7 days a week. We rented our own house with no financial help whatsoever. I majored in applied physics, and it was hard as *kitten*. The most stressed I've ever been in my life by a long shot.
  • kieranpalmer1995
    kieranpalmer1995 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    you need to gain muscle, not lose fat

How much more weight should I try and gain look more muscle would you say?
  • kieranpalmer1995
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »
    you don't look like you need to lose 15 pounds

regardless, that's about 11 pounds too much to lose in a month, lol

eat at maintenance and lift weights imo

Thank you :) I'll keep you updated xD
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    19 year old male new to weight/strength training - would second the advice to lift weights and eat at maintenance calories.

You are in the golden years for training, recovery and progress - use them well. Track measurements, take photos and enjoy the ride.
  • kieranpalmer1995
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    19 year old male new to weight/strength training - would second the advice to lift weights and eat at maintenance calories.

You are in the golden years for training, recovery and progress - use them well. Track measurements, take photos and enjoy the ride.
    This could sound unbelievable but my arms were 9"when I started and now they are 13.5" is that the golden age people are talking about. Also I don't understand the 5/3/1 the % thing I don't get at all :(
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Right, do I even speak English. Nice try. I guess since I most likely didn't go to Michigan correct? Of course I don't I suppose that's not based on you looking at my profile huh. Well played.
    Actually serious. You used the word baseless in a an odd way. It implies I could have no reason whatsoever to think a 19 year old live a life without a lot of stressors. Similar to how you're using backpedal. None of it is based on ASSUMING your level of education. See, for someone concerned about assumptions I made, you're reading and assuming a lot about what I've said, and you seem to be assuming it towards malice. Like I think a 19 year old probably isn't highly stressed is interpreted as I'm calling him a basement dweller.
    You do realize everyone's made a dozen assumptions when advising him, you just haven't stated them, and given caveats that what you say won't follow in circumstance X? No one here, for example, has suggested he check his kidney function before continue to eat X grams of protein. Is it an asinine example? Sure, it is meant to be.
    I'm having trouble understanding something, are you giving this advice based on your training experience?
    I'm an overweight 33 year old single dad focused far more on fat loss than muscle gain, yeah, I'm advising a 19 year old based purely on how I train.
    TBH, I wouldn't even recommend what the way I diet and exercise to myself.
  • senecarr
    Options
    Did your parents pay you through school? I had to pay my and my wife's tuition by working full time and going to school full time 7 days a week. We rented our own house with no financial help whatsoever. I majored in applied physics, and it was hard as *kitten*. The most stressed I've ever been in my life by a long shot.
    I'd imagine that was stressful. Congratulations on making it through.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    So basically you have an overall goal of cut body fat, try to preserver or gain muscle?
    I second some version of Starting Strength, such as original, strong lifts, ice cream fitness / jason blaha program, or any number of variants.
    At 19, assuming you don't have much else going on in your life, you can probably get away with doing the full versions of the programs while doing maintenance calories or a slight deficit, just make sure you get rest.

Well, that makes no sense at all. Wow.
    I mean much else as in stressors, things that will fatigue his CNS.
    At 19, what are the chances he has kids, a career (not a job, a career), a long term partner with shared property, a home to maintain, aging parents that need his help, etc., etc. Any number of things that generate stress and obligations that force schedules on him.
    Sure, I thought my life had stress at 19. Mid 30s me would laugh at 19 year old me's idea of stress.
    I'm also going to assume anyone serious about it that has the actual free time to perform the activity needed to burn enough calories to go through 15 lb of fat in a month has already freed himself up for such a goal.

You're making pretty baseless assumption by looking at what you were at 19 years old. You don't know what any general 19 year old has on his plate. Maybe it's an Ivy League School? Or maybe he does have a child or 2 or 5? Maybe they are broke and he works 2 jobs? Maybe he does sit in his basement all day. So you making your comment before is just one big assumption. Maybe you could have just asked instead. Remember something, the way you might have grown up doesn't mean that's how it was for everyone else.
    First, learn what baseless means. Pretty sure I gave a pretty good basis as to why chances are a 19 year old looking to lose 15 lbs in a month is probably not super stressed.
    And if any of the conditions you spouted apply to how he's living, he can reply FOR HIMSELF, adjust, or ask advice accordingly. That's why I announced "ASSUMING". You sure want to read a metric ton into a comment about what a typical 19 year old's life is like. I'm not his paid dietitian doing an intake interview to figure out how much CNS recovery he has going on. Good grief, I'm a programmer and even I don't get so uptight about worrying about edge cases over making the common case fast.
    FYI, I went to University of Michigan (the Ivy of the Midwest) school of engineering (and for the program I was in, the UM is ranked higher than Harvard or Yale). Still not as stressful as having kids and a mortgage.

that means nothing.

and if you have to post your credentials to prove what a genius you are, chances are you are not as smart as you think you are.
  • senecarr
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    that means nothing.

and if you have to post your credentials to prove what a genius you are, chances are you are not as smart as you think you are.
    It has to do with me knowing how stressful or stressless going to an ivy league school can be, not my credentials for "genius". There can definitely be stressed out Ivy League students. Your typical one comes from a high income household. The point is to address that I'm being called out as supposedly making assumptions about someone, while someone is making assumptions about me, and about Ivy League students.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    lulucitron wrote: »
    You definitely don't look like you need to lose weight...more building muscle to get some shape, so I'd be working on bulking and lifting heavy.
    I started at 200pounds"fat" then went to 145 skinny now I am 165+ which is alright for my first year of training

as a 19 year old male, I would suggest getting on a structured lifting program like starting strength or strong lifts. Recalibrate your weight loss to .5 pound per week so that you keep losing body fat and retain as much mass as possible. As you would be new to a structured lifting program you might get some good newbie gains too....

Do you have a good program I could follow??

I would suggest strong lifts or starting strength. I think wendlers 5/3/1 has a beginner program built into it.

Look into all three and pick the one that you want to run and run it for four to six months.
    I don't understand that would you message me or link me? I can only workout 4 times a week cause of university and work.

Strong Lifts, Starting Strength and 5/3/1 are three different programs. Google them and see what they're about.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

This could sound unbelievable but my arms were 9"when I started and now they are 13.5" is that the golden age people are talking about. Also I don't understand the 5/3/1 the % thing I don't get at all :(

Wendler 5/3/1 has a beginner program feature somewhere?
  • senecarr
    Options
    Interesting that after you go an "educate" me on the definition of the words it's obvious that I actually used them perfectly. Go me!!! Don't let your high level of intelligence not allow you to realize that there is a whole other side to this game that you have yet to learn. Knowing you are smart enough to attend Michigan or be an engineer should not make you oblivious to the things you don't know yet. Go ahead and ask him about his kidney function. Actually from now on, every member you give advice to please ask them to have their kidney function. Understand something, this isn't my first week here, he isn't the first person I give advice to, you aren't the first person I've debated with online or in real life so before you try and put your educational background at the forefront of the back and forth take a step back and realize it doesn't guarantee that you're the smartest man in the room on every subject.

Did I use all the words properly? You know, me no good at the English.
    At this point, this is what I feel.
    8b41jd111cma.jpg
    I'm sorry I made a comment that skipped over asking OP's personal situation and used the words "assuming you have nothing else going" instead of "if you happen to have a low stress environment" that implies I think 19 year olds are all basement dwellers. At this point, I'm most sorry I brought up my education - it genuinely seems to have become an implied classicism that really don't want.
    Collect all the internet argument points, call me the loser of this argument.
    I honestly don't care to keep an internet argument going with someone over a misunderstanding, when both our overall goal is the same, to give the best advice possible to the original poster.
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    This bickering is really not helping the OP chaps. :neutral:
  • justinfarmer919
    justinfarmer919 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Another good resource for what you want in Anabolicminds.com!!! It is a great forum that covers from newbie dieting all the way to competing. Everyone is really helpful. If you do post a question on there about how to do something, make sure you include your current diet and exercise routine. They will ask for that info so save the headaches.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »

OP "The program is set up the same way – taking 90% of your max and working up slowly. All percentages are based on that training max."

There is true max and training max. True max is your 1RM max for the lift. Training Max is 90% of true max.

In these 5/3/1 programs you are using training max. You would do the math equation to figure out the weight use by the percentage given.