Post your macros and calories

Options

Replies

• jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Sara, I'm not sure which part you don't like. Do you think targeting 20% fat is too low, or do you think the 25% to 30% that I'm actually eating is too low?
  • cathyoliver7
    cathyoliver7 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What are macros?
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    jim180155 wrote: »
    Sara, I'm not sure which part you don't like. Do you think targeting 20% fat is too low, or do you think the 25% to 30% that I'm actually eating is too low?

I'm still in the learning stages for macros but from everything I've read so far, and also from the responses I got from my own post about macros a few days ago, from people who are way more knowledgeable than I am, this is what you should be aiming for

Protein: 0.60-0.82 g per 1 lb. bodyweight
    Dietary fat: 0.40-0.45 g per 1 lb. bodyweight

I'm a female and I weight around 122lbs, so that works out to around 55g of fat for me. Since you're a guy and weigh more, you're daily fat intake should be higher, yet you're consuming less than what I do. That's what concerned me in your other post.
  • jim180155
    Options
    Macronutrients. All food is made up of protein, carbohydrates, and/or fat.

Micronutrients are vitamins, fiber, sodium, potassium, etc.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Currently eating at 50% of TDEE (anywhere from 1200-2000 cals, depending on the day).
    Macros are 150g protein. fat and carbs vary based on calorie intake for the day.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    1480 calories on a 50/30/20 split: 185 carbs, 49 fat, 74 protein. After my Fitbit adjustments I almost always hit my fat goal and hit protein probably 50% of the time (but try to aim for 100 grams).
  • jim180155
    Options

I'm still in the learning stages for macros but from everything I've read so far, and also from the responses I got from my own post about macros a few days ago, from people who are way more knowledgeable than I am, this is what you should be aiming for

I'm a female and I weight around 122lbs, so that works out to around 55g of fat for me. Since you're a guy and weigh more, you're daily fat intake should be higher, yet you're consuming less than what I do. That's what concerned me in your other post.

According to your numbers, that works out to be 28% to 31% fat. That's about what I'm eating now. I'd like to get that down a bit, but it's not something I'm focusing on or working at. I just choose lower fat options when they make sense, like no-fat yogurt rather than full fat, but full-fat pizza because pizza ought to be good first and foremost.

Your protein goal sounds low to me. I wouldn't argue with 0.8 grams, but there's little evidence to suggest targeting 0.6 grams.
  • Akibo23
    Akibo23 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    TDEE : 1267
    Averaging at +/-1000

ATM set at - 219c/48f/88p
    Have to increase protein intake. Vegetarian woes!
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    ^After about 0.80 grams protein per pound of bodyweight, it is virtually doing nothing as far as muscle synthesis goes.

Dietary fat is the most important macro to focus on getting the minimum as far as health purposes go. 35 grams/day is far too low for just about everyone.

"35 grams (of fat) is too low for just about everyone:" That's the problem with my focus on protein. I just don't pay that much attention to fat and carbs. I actually target 20%, which at 1890 calories would be 42 grams. I don't worry much about going over or under though. The last few weeks I averaged 21%, 23%, 26% 35%, 32%. and 28%. I don't know if I've ever actually hit 20%.

"After about 0.80 grams protein per pound of bodyweight, it is virtually doing nothing as far as muscle synthesis goes." I've been following the program in Mike Matthews' Bigger Leaner Stronger. His book cites the study that concluded .8 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight was the upper limit to maximize protein synthesis. He didn't disagree with it. But he also recommends 1 gram for maintenance & bulking, 1.2 grams for cutting. Offhand I don't remember how he got from acknowledging the 0.8 max to the 1 to 1.2 gram recommendation. But he also includes other studies that show protein synthesis is maximized in 30 to 40 gram servings, the effect of protein, carbs and fat on thermogenesis, and that protein during pre-workout, post-workout, and nighttime (sleep) are the most critical for protein synthesis. Bottom line, I'm choosing to err on the high side. I might be able to reduce 1.2 grams to 0.8 and not see a reduction in benefits, but since there's no real harm in 1.2 grams, that's the plan I'm going with. For now at least

1. Don't go by percentages. It is useless to talk about macro targets in %'s. Instead, go by grams; they are more accurate. MFP doesn't allow you to use grams in the free version, but you can adjust the percentages to be fairly close to your goal grams.

2. I'm guessing the reason Mike Matthews recommends more protein is because in order to bulk, you need more calories. However, that does not necessarily mean you need more calories from protein. Protein is the most expensive macro in the supermarket. Why spend more on an unnecessary amount when it is not doing anything for your muscles? Cheaper, more nutritious calories can be had elsewhere, such as fiber-rich foods and dietary fats. There is a delicate balance of protein, fiber, fats, and water intake for a healthy digestive system. Lacking the latter three while being ridiculously high in protein will result in some bathroom issues.

Also, fat is 9 calories per gram (the highest of all macros). It is painfully obvious that someone who is bulking or having trouble hitting their calorie goal should eat more dietary fat. Another problem here is that protein is the most satiating macronutrient. If your diet is too high in protein, and your goal is to maintain or bulk, then you won't be as hungry on average. It will be more of a chore to force food down when you're not that hungry. But the most important issue is that risking long term health by eating too little dietary fat.

3. Don't pay attention to timing of protein. Your body doesn't limit the amount of protein in grams that you can absorb in the course of an hour. Also, your muscles don't go catabolic overnight. These are old wives tales.
  • kellyship17
    kellyship17 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    1540 calories , 51 grams of fat, and I aim for at least 90 grams of protein a day.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options

According to your numbers, that works out to be 28% to 31% fat. That's about what I'm eating now. I'd like to get that down a bit, but it's not something I'm focusing on or working at. I just choose lower fat options when they make sense, like no-fat yogurt rather than full fat, but full-fat pizza because pizza ought to be good first and foremost.

Your protein goal sounds low to me. I wouldn't argue with 0.8 grams, but there's little evidence to suggest targeting 0.6 grams.

Don't go by percentages, actually do the math and figure out grams. That's my biggest pet peeve with MFP, they go by percentages unless you pay more for their premium option. I've started tracking my food on a different (free) site because of this, that allows me to track specific macros grams.
  • jim180155
    Options
    Sixpoint, I was about to suggest that you read his book, but that's asking a lot. You might take a minute to scan his website though. He has a lot of articles on various subjects as well as weekly podcasts. Overall, his approach makes a lot of sense and I've become a fan. Some of his stuff works a lot better on his 30 year old body than it does on my 61 year old body, but I'm still making progress so I'm happy.

1. Percentages: It's ok to talk percentages. It's ok to talk grams. They're different units to measure the same thing. I'll admit that it gets confusing when the conversation drifts from one to the other, but neither is more valid than the other.
    2. Matthews recommends lower protein when bulking (1g/lb) and higher protein when cutting (1.2g/lb). When bulking he recommends higher carbs since carbs provide maximum energy, more energy means better workouts, and better workouts mean better strength and muscle mass gains. Whether cutting, maintaining or bulking he recommends 20% fat which provides enough dietary fat for physiological benefits, but avoids excessive calorie-dense foods at levels that offer no additional benefits.
    3. Your body cycles between anabolic and catabolic stages all day long, pre and post meals. Intense exercise depletes glycogen stores which hastens a catabolic stage. Protein and carbs before a workout help delay the effect. Protein and carbs after a workout do the same and are used in the protein synthesis that rebuild your muscles after you've damaged them. ("Damage" meaning the microtears you encounter when overloading muscles.) Sleep, particularly REM sleep, is when your body is best able to repair and build muscles. Protein synthesis can be at the highest levels during sleep, but there has to be protein to synthesize.

The effects of protein timing are small. As you alluded to, your body does not stop processing protein after an hour. If you eat a lot of protein in one sitting, your body slows the digestion of protein. I think it's around 10 grams of protein per hour that your body can process. But if you eat 100 grams in one sitting, it doesn't mean the other 90 grams are wasted. Your body will continue to digest the protein until it's done. It only works up to a point, though. We're arguing about whether we should eat 0.8, 1, or 1.2 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight per day. Somebody's right. Or maybe both of us are. But if you eat 2, 3, or 6 grams of protein per pound per day, that's definitely wasted protein.
  • jim180155
    Options

Don't go by percentages, actually do the math and figure out grams. That's my biggest pet peeve with MFP, they go by percentages unless you pay more for their premium option. I've started tracking my food on a different (free) site because of this, that allows me to track specific macros grams.

You too, huh? You already provided the grams, and I already provided the percentages in my earlier post. What I'm telling you is that I am eating within your fat recommendations. As you said, do the math.
  • sixxpoint
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Jim, sorry to say, but you are very misinformed about nutrition and proper macros. I highly suggest you read up on the topic more because it seems that nothing we say is sinking in, despite the strong supporting evidence for the facts. Much of what you have stated above is completely and without a doubt, false. I wish you the best and take care.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Sixpoint, I was about to suggest that you read his book, but that's asking a lot. You might take a minute to scan his website though. He has a lot of articles on various subjects as well as weekly podcasts. Overall, his approach makes a lot of sense and I've become a fan. Some of his stuff works a lot better on his 30 year old body than it does on my 61 year old body, but I'm still making progress so I'm happy.

1. Percentages: It's ok to talk percentages. It's ok to talk grams. They're different units to measure the same thing. I'll admit that it gets confusing when the conversation drifts from one to the other, but neither is more valid than the other.
    2. Matthews recommends lower protein when bulking (1g/lb) and higher protein when cutting (1.2g/lb). When bulking he recommends higher carbs since carbs provide maximum energy, more energy means better workouts, and better workouts mean better strength and muscle mass gains. Whether cutting, maintaining or bulking he recommends 20% fat which provides enough dietary fat for physiological benefits, but avoids excessive calorie-dense foods at levels that offer no additional benefits.
    3. Your body cycles between anabolic and catabolic stages all day long, pre and post meals. Intense exercise depletes glycogen stores which hastens a catabolic stage. Protein and carbs before a workout help delay the effect. Protein and carbs after a workout do the same and are used in the protein synthesis that rebuild your muscles after you've damaged them. ("Damage" meaning the microtears you encounter when overloading muscles.) Sleep, particularly REM sleep, is when your body is best able to repair and build muscles. Protein synthesis can be at the highest levels during sleep, but there has to be protein to synthesize.

The effects of protein timing are small. As you alluded to, your body does not stop processing protein after an hour. If you eat a lot of protein in one sitting, your body slows the digestion of protein. I think it's around 10 grams of protein per hour that your body can process. But if you eat 100 grams in one sitting, it doesn't mean the other 90 grams are wasted. Your body will continue to digest the protein until it's done. It only works up to a point, though. We're arguing about whether we should eat 0.8, 1, or 1.2 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight per day. Somebody's right. Or maybe both of us are. But if you eat 2, 3, or 6 grams of protein per pound per day, that's definitely wasted protein.

game, set, match.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Started a week and a half ago at 186lbs.
    183lbs this morning.
    Goal weight is 180lbs.
    Currently cutting at 2250 cals per day.
    Carbs: 253 grams
    Fat: 75 grams (minimum)
    Protein: 141 grams (minimum)
  • adnaram
    adnaram Posts: 44 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Carbs- 140
    Fat-51
    Protein-110
    Calories- 1510

I **try** to make most of my carbs unprocessed stuff- potatoes, oats, fruit, veggies. This might be poking a bear, but do you think it makes a difference where your carbs come from?
  • jim180155
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    Jim, sorry to say, but you are very misinformed about nutrition and proper macros. I highly suggest you read up on the topic more because it seems that nothing we say is sinking in, despite the strong supporting evidence for the facts. Much of what you have stated above is completely and without a doubt, false. I wish you the best, take care.

It's nice of you to so politely dismiss me, but what I'd rather see is more evidence to support your beliefs.

It's hard to argue these points without overstepping and getting a little too carried away before realizing that you can't produce the evidence to back your claims. I think I've already done that. Or at least I'd have to start piecing things together if I was challenged, and if I was motivated enough to spend that much time at it, which I don't think I am.

Part of the problem is that there is a lot of conflicting evidence. Some of it fits together better than other parts. And I think we all tend to more readily accept evidence that fits with at least some of our preexisting beliefs. So if I present myself as having definitive answers, I apologize, because I don't. I do try to follow the science, but it's not like I've read every study, nor am I the one to best synthesize all the data.

Anyway, if you want to continue the conversation with each of us trying our best to present our case, I'm here. If you just want to declare yourself right and me wrong with a polite dismissal, save your breath.
  • sixxpoint
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I have provided evidence. There is no point in trying to convince you any further that you might be wrong. Stubbornness runs rampant on these forums. You will just continue doing things as you see fit... But just remember that other people might be listening to your recommendations and take the same route at the sacrifice of their own health, knowledge, and time. Be careful what you choose to believe simply because "it works for you"... which is not legitimate reasoning.
  • jim180155
    Options
    Six, other people are listening to you too. I think you're a little off in your approach, but it's nothing I haven't heard before, and even with your approach, most Americans would be better off following your advice than eating the way they are now. I'm not saying your approach is wrong, I just think it can be improved upon.

"It works for you:" I realize that that is not a very good argument. I see it all the time on MFP. People talk about what they're doing and since they're not dead yet, they seem to think that what they're doing is a good idea for everyone. Then again, I'm twice as old as you are. What works for me in my sixties actually does have some meaning. You're in your early thirties. You could be drinking battery acid for breakfast and still look like a fitness model if you had a good weightlifting regimen.