Post your macros and calories

Options

Replies

• sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    The difference there is that you are providing potentially harmful advice with can affect someone's long term health. It is also factually incorrect advice, not grounded in any science or logic.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    The difference there is that you are providing potentially harmful advice with can affect someone's long term health. It is also factually incorrect advice, not grounded in any science or logic.

I'll admit that I'm no expert, but I've done enough reading to have, what I feel is, a good handle on the basics.

Do you really think that what he's saying is actually *harmful*? You could certainly argue that some things are more or less ideal, but to go so far as to say it's harmful...?

Yes, some of what he says strays from the widely accepted standard, but it's not like he's throwing numbers out from left field. Much of what he's saying is actually supported by well regarded, elite level people in the field. Again, while it may not be the most ideal for the average MFPer, to say it's harmful seems a bit dramatic to me.
  • sixxpoint
    edited June 2015
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »

I'll admit that I'm no expert, but I've done enough reading to have, what I feel is, a good handle on the basics.

Do you really think that what he's saying is actually *harmful*? You could certainly argue that some things are more or less ideal, but to go so far as to say it's harmful...?

Yes. No one should be getting 35 grams of dietary fat (or less as he put it) per day. That is way far too low, even for a 130 lb. person on a feeding tube in a coma.

Adequate dietary fat is crucial when it comes to your health.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Ok, I guess we're done. You go ahead and think you're right and guardian of the people. If anyone buys into your fantasy that you've got all the answers, they'll be sending you friend requests as we speak so that they can discover more pearls of wisdom.

In the meantime, I'll go to another thread to dispense potentially harmful advice to the unwitting masses.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    adnaram wrote: »
    Carbs- 140
    Fat-51
    Protein-110
    Calories- 1510

I **try** to make most of my carbs unprocessed stuff- potatoes, oats, fruit, veggies. This might be poking a bear, but do you think it makes a difference where your carbs come from?
    Only in the sense of getting adequate nutrition. With limited calories it's important to get the most nutrition per calorie. Once your needs are met it matters not where your carbs come from...
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

I'm not who you're quoting but here's my little anecdotal story-a few years ago I did a vegetarian experiment and along with that I went pretty low fat (was focusing on a whole foods diet with lots of veggies, whole grains etc). A bit into it I lost my period and my hair started falling out. Went to my doctor and after going over what was happening, she nailed me on eating too little fat. Now obviously this isn't going to be the case for Jim, as far as what I experienced :p But, eating too low fat can definitely start to mess with your body.
  • jacksonpt
    edited June 2015
    Options

Yes. No one should be getting 35 grams of dietary fat (or less as he put it) per day. That is way less than even a 130 lb. person would receive via a feeding tube on a hospital bed in a coma.

Why not? Again, are we talking about ideals, or minimums? I've been reading some of Mike Israetel's stuff lately, and I forget the exact number, but I want to say that he suggested the minimum recommended was something like 20g of fat daily (ideal was obviously much higher). That's just going off of memory, but his number was MUCH lower than what it typically thrown around MFP (~ .35g per lb).
  • J72FIT
    Options

I'm not who you're quoting but here's my little anecdotal story-a few years ago I did a vegetarian experiment and along with that I went pretty low fat (was focusing on a whole foods diet with lots of veggies, whole grains etc). A bit into it I lost my period and my hair started falling out. Went to my doctor and after going over what was happening, she nailed me on eating too little fat. Now obviously this isn't going to be the case for Jim :pBut, eating too low fat can definitely start to mess with your body.
    Indeed it can...
  • sixxpoint
    Options

Yes. No one should be getting 35 grams of dietary fat (or less as he put it) per day. That is way less than even a 130 lb. person would receive via a feeding tube on a hospital bed in a coma.

Why not? Again, are we talking about ideals, or minimums? I've been reading some of Mike Israetel's stuff lately, and I forget the exact number, but I want to say that he suggested the minimum recommended was something like 20g of fat daily (ideal was obviously much higher). That's just going off of memory, but his number was MUCH lower than what it typically thrown around MFP (~ .35g per lb).

Instead of reading blogs and articles, read peer-reviewed scientific journals.
  • jim180155
    Options

I'm not who you're quoting but here's my little anecdotal story-a few years ago I did a vegetarian experiment and along with that I went pretty low fat (was focusing on a whole foods diet with lots of veggies, whole grains etc). A bit into it I lost my period and my hair started falling out. Went to my doctor and after going over what was happening, she nailed me on eating too little fat. Now obviously this isn't going to be the case for Jim, as far as what I experienced :p But, eating too low fat can definitely start to mess with your body.

I still have my period.

Oh wait, did you say hair falling out?
  • jacksonpt
    Options

Ah, you're one of those people. OK.
  • sixxpoint
    edited June 2015
    Options

People who base their knowledge base on science and facts instead of myth and he said, she said mumbo-jumbo? Yeah... that's me.

It's also clear why you're defending Jim now since your diary is open... You are also undereating dietary fat for your size at 50 grams/day. Keep on blindly justifying that you're doing the right thing by your health, I guess!
  • J72FIT
    Options

People who base their knowledge base on science and facts instead of myth and he said, she said mumbo-jumbo? Yeah... that's me.
    How dare you ;)

• Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    jim180155 wrote: »

I still have my period.

Lol :p Yeah, what I experienced isn't going to specifically be the case for you :) But, just be cautious with eating too low fat, that's what's I've (clumsily) been trying to get across :)
  • lleahpeaa
    lleahpeaa Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    60/40/20 (carbs/protein/fat) and 1693 calories per day! I feel like that's so many carbs so I might change it around? Not sure.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    adnaram wrote: »
    Carbs- 140
    Fat-51
    Protein-110
    Calories- 1510

I **try** to make most of my carbs unprocessed stuff- potatoes, oats, fruit, veggies. This might be poking a bear, but do you think it makes a difference where your carbs come from?
    Only in the sense of getting adequate nutrition. With limited calories it's important to get the most nutrition per calorie. Once your needs are met it matters not where your carbs come from...

I personally like my carbs to come from ice cream :smiley: Once I’ve hit my other macros, I don’t much care.

Edited to actually respond to post…

My goal has been to hit 100-120g protein, 50fat, 25 fibre, in 1450 calories, though I’ve recently increased my calories to 1600. Once those are met, it’s a free for all. Carbs are usually 70-100g. I weigh in at 125lbs give or take.
  • dsneade
    dsneade Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Workout Days: 3000 - 3500 calories, 35 - 40% Carbs, 35 - 40% Prot, 20 - 30% Fat.

Non-workout Days: 2300 - 2600 calories, with the same ratios.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    I personally like my carbs to come from ice cream :smiley: Once I’ve hit my other macros, I don’t much care.
    Exactly my point. Once you hit your requirements eat what you like. And may I say, ice cream is a fine choice!
  • jim180155
    Options
    jim180155 wrote: »

I still have my period.

Lol :p Yeah, what I experienced isn't going to specifically be the case for you :) But, just be cautious with eating too low fat, that's what's I've (clumsily) been trying to get across :)

I know, and you're making a good point. But from what I can tell based on our posts (ignoring my first post where I said I ate 35 grams of fat per day), I'm eating about the same amount of fat that you are at around 0.45g/lb of bodyweight.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    Exactly my point. Once you hit your requirements eat what you like. And may I say, ice cream is a fine choice!

Why thank you, sir :smile: And yep, completely agree.