Stronglifts 5x5

Options
Has anyone been doing this? If so, what have your results been?

I just started today. I really like it! My days will be set up for Thursday/Saturday/Monday with Tuesday and Wednesday as my non-lift days. As a beginner today was 45lb / 45lb / 65lb. I'm looking forward to going up in weight for the next one :smile:

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I picked up SL after doing stage 1 of NROLFW.
    I also used it this past summer for awhile

I enjoy the simplicity of the program
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    Great program for beginners, you should notice immediate strength gains! It will be important to adjust your calorie intake accordingly for the new amount of exercise/lifting you will be doing.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it for about 5 weeks.

I've kept my weight relatively low so I can focus on proper form. I enjoy it. The app is very helpful and the program is easy to follow.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    jmule24 wrote: »
    Great program for beginners, you should notice immediate strength gains! It will be important to adjust your calorie intake accordingly for the new amount of exercise/lifting you will be doing.

:)
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I didn't like it because the workouts were not specific enough. I suppose if I was just looking for generic strength training without any specific activity or muscles in mind, this might be a useful app.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options

Assuming you mean eat more? LOL

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I didn't like it because the workouts were not specific enough. I suppose if I was just looking for generic strength training without any specific activity or muscles in mind, this might be a useful app.

I'm curious how you think it wasn't specific enough?
  • jmule24
    Options

Yuppers!
  • jmule24
    Options

What's not specific about the program? They are compound lifts, they work the most amount of muscles per movement............

• BoxerBrawler
    Options
    I really, really liked it! So simple yet very effective. I didn't think I'd really feel anything at first because I do a ton of physical activities that involve body weight, resistance, tons of squats, cardio, endurance, etc. I have never used a barbell, I've only used hand weights and heavy bar. But I can kinda sorta feel it in my butt and shoulders and even a little core right now :smile:
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options

Yuppers!

Yay! I love to eat lol
  • jmule24
    Options
    I really, really liked it! So simple yet very effective. I didn't think I'd really feel anything at first because I do a ton of physical activities that involve body weight, resistance, tons of squats, cardio, endurance, etc. I have never used a barbell, I've only used hand weights and heavy bar. But I can kinda sorta feel it in my butt and shoulders and even a little core right now :smile:

When the weight starts getting heavier; with proper form/technique, you will notice A LOT of core stimulation for all of the lifts.

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »

I'm curious how you think it wasn't specific enough?

It doesn't include the workouts that I do.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    edited June 2015
    Options

What's not specific about the program? They are compound lifts, they work the most amount of muscles per movement............

Yes, that is what I'm saying. It's generic lifts and not specific lifts that target particular muscles.

ETA: In other words, it probably works for a lot of people, but it just doesn't work for me. Instead I track with MFP because I can add custom exercises.
  • jmule24
    Options

Yes, that is what I'm saying. It's generic lifts and not specific lifts that target particular muscles.

Generic or Boring lifts? What are your goals, what is your current program, and how does a compound lift not target your specific muscle?

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options

Generic or Boring lifts? What are your goals, what is your current program, and how does a compound lift not target your specific muscle?

Generic. Boring is subjective, and can't be used for comparison because boring differs from person to person. When I say generic, I mean the exercises target several larger muscles that are common for those who want to build strength for the sake of building strength rather than for a particular activity.

In my case, I'm trying to follow a program to build muscles for rock climbing. Halos, skiers, pull-up retractions, to name a few, are a part of my program and are not on Stronglifts.
  • jmule24
    Options

Generic. Boring is subjective, and can't be used for comparison because boring differs from person to person. When I say generic, I mean the exercises target several larger muscles that are common for those who want to build strength for the sake of building strength rather than for a particular activity.

In my case, I'm trying to follow a program to build muscles for rock climbing. Halos, skiers, pull-up retractions, to name a few, are a part of my program and are not on Stronglifts.

Makes perfect sense. Your program is geared for your goal, which it should be! Glad to hear.

• BoxerBrawler
    Options

When the weight starts getting heavier; with proper form/technique, you will notice A LOT of core stimulation for all of the lifts.

That's good news! I work hard on my core but need to change it up. Seems like this is in the right direction for me.

• dterpsy
    dterpsy Posts: 27 Member
    Options

Makes perfect sense. Your program is geared for your goal, which it should be! Glad to hear.

I love seeing people get along on the Internet.
  • jmule24
    Options
    dterpsy wrote: »

I love seeing people get along on the Internet.

It's a good thing :-) I ask more questions for understanding rather than making assumptions. I'm on these forums to help, support, and educate when I can.