Calves getting bigger!!!! Help

Options

Replies

• leahgoldgirl
    leahgoldgirl Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    When you workout, your muscles grow. This is a good thing. It's not like you have huge calves. Your legs are actually extremely slender. Buy bigger jeans, or embrace leggings. http://www.kappit.com/img/pics/201503_2124_aafhc.jpg
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    j_bark wrote: »
    Want to tone? High repetition, low weight. However you are going to just have to enjoy those. And you should.

tone is not a verb...it's not something you can "do" it's something that happens when you reveal muscle...it's a noun.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    steffie113 wrote: »
    So I need to exercise less then to get legs like say for example Taylor Swift? And drop my calories right down?
    I want them to be smaller as I don't think they look attractive on me, when I actually change out of my gym gear and try to wear a pretty dress.

This attitude makes me so very sad.

Me too. I responded before reading that post...smh.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    How big are they? Mine measure 17 inches and I wish they were smaller. My legs are still more fat than anything. :(
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking that you loose muscle whilst running?

No. Running uses your legs, it does not burn muscle.

Long distance steady state will. Sprinting will likely build it. Marathon runner vs sprinter. I know which physique I'd prefer!
    Incorrect. If one eats a calorie maintenance or surplus, no muscle is being lost regardless if they are doing long distance steady state running.
    Any activation of muscle will keep it conditioned and reduce atrophy.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Boy, it is amazing! Body builders -- who slave away in the gym for hours and years -- complain that the calves are the hardest muscles in the body to build, and this woman just looks at a dumbbell and her's swell to disproportionate size!
    Lucky her.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Calves are genetic. It's really tough to change their disposition say versus quad size or biceps size. Why? Because of the density of them and because when you walk, you invariably are always activating them. The real only way to cause muscle atrophy is to NOT use them at all. That would require using a wheel chair to get around then.
    If you hate your calves, you can legitimately blame your parents for them. :D But it still isn't going to make them smaller.
    You can help reduce circumference by not working your legs at all with resistance and limiting physical activity on them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    kcrow4102 wrote: »
    Your legs look great!! The only bad thing (for me anyways) bout having bigger calfs is its hard to find a good pair of boots that fit right.

I don't get this..I have fairly muscled calves...I have a hard time finding boots to fit not due to being too small they are all loose and my calves are just under 15 inches..(just measured them)...

Prior to losing 56lbs yes I had that issue but not now.

I have the same issue...boots don't fit my calves. Wondering who had 19 inch calves
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    j_bark wrote: »
    Want to tone? High repetition, low weight. However you are going to just have to enjoy those. And you should.

please, no... don't give advice like this. this is very very wrong.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Taylor Swift might just want your calves!
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    But my goal is for my legs to get leaner not bigger... This is what I want help with.
    How to change my exercise routine up, and what i should be doing differently.
    Girls should not have legs this big.

wedding-crashers-wtf.gif
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
  • kbolton322
    kbolton322 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    kcrow4102 wrote: »
    Your legs look great!! The only bad thing (for me anyways) bout having bigger calfs is its hard to find a good pair of boots that fit right.

I don't get this..I have fairly muscled calves...I have a hard time finding boots to fit not due to being too small they are all loose and my calves are just under 15 inches..(just measured them)...

Prior to losing 56lbs yes I had that issue but not now.

I like my boots to come up around my calfs.. my all time favorite brand are to tight around my calfs.. so I had to find a new brand and I dont like them as much.. so some brands are not all made the same...

• Whittedo
    Whittedo Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Actually OP there is nothing sexier when it comes to legs than well muscled and toned calfs. Yours look great. BTW Taylor Swift has a body by committee. She has an entire staff of Personal Trainers etc to keep her looking the way that she does. Here's an idea, become ridiculously rich and famous and then everyone will want to look like you. You will become the icon rather than an insecure young lady with great legs.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    But my goal is for my legs to get leaner not bigger... This is what I want help with.
    How to change my exercise routine up, and what i should be doing differently.
    Girls should not have legs this big.

wedding-crashers-wtf.gif

^Bahaha... I had the same reaction. I love my fabulous muscular big legs, thank you very much!
  • halfninja2
    halfninja2 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I think you would be wasting your time and energy to try and lose lean muscle. Like fat loss, you can't really target muscle loss from calorie and activity deficit. In my opinion, Taylor Swift is pretty but VERY thin. She seems healthy, so not saying she is "too skinny", just saying that look is not better than a more muscular, fit look.
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Am I right in thinking that you loose muscle whilst running?
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Calves are genetic. It's really tough to change their disposition say versus quad size or biceps size. Why? Because of the density of them and because when you walk, you invariably are always activating them. The real only way to cause muscle atrophy is to NOT use them at all. That would require using a wheel chair to get around then.
    If you hate your calves, you can legitimately blame your parents for them. :D But it still isn't going to make them smaller.
    You can help reduce circumference by not working your legs at all with resistance and limiting physical activity on them.

This. By genetics and exercise I had pretty muscular calves in my teenage years. I literally stopped all forms of purposeful exercise for over half a decade. They never left...but that makes me a happy camper because I enjoy looking athletic lol. Even when I started back exercising, they just stay the way they are. I consider it a blessing.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I see nothing wrong with you wanting smaller calves, it's personal preference regardless of what others feel is attractive. Were they always like this? Are you sure they got bigger and not just more obvious due to getting leaner? Do you have a before and after measurement? What exercises do you usually do?

If they've always been like this or if it's genetic then you may need to learn to accept and love them. If they started getting bigger after introducing certain exercises then you may be able to slightly change them by changing what you do for exercise. Have you tried swimming? It non weight bearing and most leg movements are usually initiated in the upper legs. Movements that include raising to your toes, jumping or pushing the ground hard may prevent them from getting smaller so choose movements that put less pressure on your calves, all while eating at a deficit for a while. You may also want to switch to lower heels for a while.
  • steffie113
    steffie113 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Christ! I've only just started to read through these posts and it seems I've caused a uproar!
    Since working out my calves are going bigger, jeans that used to fit perfectly are now hard to get past my ever growing calves. This just isn't something I was aiming be to achieve at all.
    Each to their own, one persons ideals are different to others. Taylor Swift has (in my eyes) the perfect pins.
  • steffie113
    steffie113 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Oh and I'm pretty certain that my calves aren't genetic as they never used to be this big!