What is your RED FOOD and how do you overcome the urge to eat it?

Options
Red Food is something you absolutely know will make you gain weight.

My Red Food is Carbs. White bread, potatoes, white rice, noodles. Anything that would be considered a carb. I look at it and I gain weight, I stay away from it and I lose.

Since I started the South Beach Diet and went through the first phase which I think was a month I have very few desires for anything fatty, sweet and just plain crappy junk food.

I like dark chocolate and tolerate milk chocolate, can't stand soda anymore. Broasted chicken which I loved no desire to eat.
I see food differently since I have done phase one. I had tried weight watchers and other similar diets but this one seems to have helped me the most.

Replies

• mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Individual foods do not cause weight gain, too much food does. Dark chocolate is carbs and fat. Color coding foods to imply their status as bad is silly.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    No, sorry, does not work this way. This is the kind of thinking that ends in yoyo dieting, not maintaining a normal weight. Perhaps there are foods you cannot control how much you eat, like starting wiht a cookie and ending up eating 10, but calories are calories. The cookie (or the 10 cookies) will nto make you any fatter than anyone else eating them.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    The only way carbs, or any food, will make you gain fat is if you eat enough to send you over maintenance
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    All foods are red foods. I eat a little bit too much of everything and I gain weight.

No foods are red foods. I eat everything in moderation and I lose or maintain.

Tracking calories is the tool that allows me to stay on the "no foods are red foods" side of the coin.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options

My Red Food is Carbs. White bread, potatoes, white rice, noodles. Anything that would be considered a carb. I look at it and I gain weight, I stay away from it and I lose.

Since I started the South Beach Diet and went through the first phase which I think was a month I have very few desires for anything fatty, sweet and just plain crappy junk food.

I like dark chocolate and tolerate milk chocolate, can't stand soda anymore. Broasted chicken which I loved no desire to eat.
    I see food differently since I have done phase one. I had tried weight watchers and other similar diets but this one seems to have helped me the most.

Umm...so do you eat veggies or fruits? Because those are carbs and are needed for a healthy balanced diet.

I'm glad you found something that works for you. For me, moderation and calorie restriction work best. I also don't label foods as good or bad.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I avoid things like bread, pasta, rice, etc because they tend to make me feel hungrier or I don't stop at just one serving. I just set myself up for success by prepping meals on weekends and freezing. I make some breakfasts - frittatas/egg bakes, some soups/chilies/stews, make sure I have things like cauliflower rice or zucchini on hand for zucchini noodles. Basically I plan ahead so I can grab what I need already portioned out. No real thought - every meal fits the plan.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I couldn't have something like Girl Scout cookies in the house. This was my very first binge food.

I have found that opening a pint of ice cream tends to result in me finishing it that same day, but that I am able to keep the 4 oz mini cups in the freezer untouched until my fiance requests them, as he did yesterday, and thanks to all the gardening I had done I could fit this into my caloric budget.

Pizza is problematic - we don't have it very often and always with a big salad. I'm probably full after two pieces, but due to the Completion Compulsion don't want to stop until I've eaten my share of 4 pieces of a 10" pizza.

I've reduced my serving sizes of white rice and pasta and have them less often.

When I recommitted to MFP almost two months ago, I stopped baking, until today. Mostly for dessert we have a serving of Ghiradelli chocolate chips.

So far the Ritz crackers in the small sleeve packages have been safe. They are also out of site, as are my finace's Fritos.

As I've increased protein and decreased carbs, I want carbs less. I can be satisfied with one dried plum for dessert. I was worried about premenstrual cravings, but so far, so good.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Red M&Ms, Red skittles, tomatoes, apples (sometimes) , strawberries just to name a few
  • Xandersmommy
    Xandersmommy Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    my RED FOOD is everything you can snack on. From cereal to icecream. I struggle everyday, but I am finding the longer I go with out sweets, the easier it is to not crave them.
  • lisasweetlisa
    lisasweetlisa Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    hmmmm very interesting comments. yes your probably right I can't stop eating these type of foods that's why for me they are a RED food. I need to stay away because I can't control myself around them. Can't wait to read more of what you all have to say.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    That's just ridiculous

Laughsss

You gain weight because you have been low carbing so as soon as you eat carbs you gain back the glycogen and associated water weight ...there's a reason people think low carbing is an amazing diet at the start ...it's water weight manipulation

Not knocking low carb if it's what works long term for you

But please understand that scale weight is made of water, body fat, LBM and waste in the body

Simple manipulation of the 10-15lbs you hold in water weight has nothing to do with fat loss

You can eat anything and lose weight if you stick to your defecit and if there's a food you can't stop eating then maybe that should be avoided...personally I don't get that lack of control any more and eat everything in moderation
  • TiffanyR71
    TiffanyR71 Posts: 217 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    Red M&Ms, Red skittles, tomatoes, apples (sometimes) , strawberries just to name a few

Mmmm & bloody steak, red bell peppers, tuna sashimi... ;)

Edit: sheesh - how could I forget red wine?
  • flamingblades
    flamingblades Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Hi carb and hi sugar stuff drop-kicks me off the wagon. I know what I can control and what I can't. I just don't buy it unless it comes in small serving sizes, like ice cream, or don't have it in my house at all.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Salsa and strawberries.

My orange foods are oranges and tangerines, mostly.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    The first ripe strawberry of the season in my garden is actually outside of the garden in the poison ivy :(

But soon I will have strawberries coming out my ears.
  • fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Nuts. Nuts are my red food. Even if I eat one serving that is premeasured I will find more or go buy another package. They hit my sweet spot. :o
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    You can control yourself. You just choose not to. ;)

I don't have any red foods. I eat what I like. I have however begin to not choose some things as often simply because the portion size does not give much satisfaction for the calories. A big bowl of popcorn with butter is better than an ounce or two of nachos most days. :)
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I eat everything I eat in proper portion, within my calorie goals.

Doing that, I lose weight. If I ate too much of any food, I'd gain weight.

I've gained weight from eating too many carbs. I've gained weight while low carbing from eating too much low carb food like cheese and egg salad and avocado.

I had to learn to stop blaming the foods I was eating and take a good hard look the real source of the problem: ME. I looked at WHY I was overeating and examined my behaviors and took steps to correct them.

I knew I had totally changed the day I baked a pan of brownies, weighed out my portion, ate it, and wrapped the rest and put them away. They were a HUGE trigger food for me in the past.

Now my red foods are tomatoes and strawberries and raspberries.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    If you're asking what food is hard to resist and will ultimately make me exceed my budget (?) then I say cake batter when I'm baking. Really tough to resist more than a lick or any appropriate amount. Luckily I don't bake often. Also peanut butter. I absolutely have to measure it out on my food scale and commit to just one serving or I could easily eat the whole jar.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options

You may be pre diabetic.

That whole carb craving thing and how carbs wipe out your diet efforts would make sense.

Get a blood test and see your doctor. If you are insulin resistant you can get on the right meds and get on track.

Metformin is often the first line of defense. You can google it