mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    jmule24 wrote: »
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    Has anyone been doing this? If so, what have your results been?

I just started today. I really like it! My days will be set up for Thursday/Saturday/Monday with Tuesday and Wednesday as my non-lift days. As a beginner today was 45lb / 45lb / 65lb. I'm looking forward to going up in weight for the next one :smile:

It's okay if you're looking to maintain muscular conditioning e.g. stay in "shape" muscular wise. But if you're specifically looking to build muscle, or build strength there are better programs out there.

I also believe that barbells have a greater risk for injury. I don't see the point of putting yourself at this potential risk unless you're a competitive athlete in power lifting.

Barbells used with incorrect form have an increased risk of injury. But, then again, ANY movement done incorrectly has an increased risk of injury.

THe world recorder holder for squats, herniated his disk, they said he would never lift again. You think he doesn't have "good form"? I know some competitive powerlifters here who have suffered from injuries as well. I am sure their form is better than most, it's their sport, and it's what they do.

You're really comparing a world record holder to someone just starting out a strength program? In order to become a world record holder I guarantee his form did not stay correct for all his big lifts. It's impossible to go for world records and not have form break down. That is the risk you run going for world records. That does not translate to the average gym goer starting a new strength program.
    I addressed relative intensity in a previous post...

@Pu_239 just stay on topic please. The OP wanted advice from people who have done SL 5x5. If you have experience with it, great, please share it. If not, please move along.

SHe asked for feedback on it, I gave her my feed back, then you started to question me and asking me for specifics which lead in to another discussion. How many people posted before I did how they like the program? I disagree with all them. I just ignored them and gave my own opinion on the subject. If people don't agree with my post it can be ignored.

OP: I did strong lifts for a little while. It's an "ok" program. What i didn't like about this type of training is the warm up, dealing with barbelles, putting plates on, taking them off, putting everything back. It's a hassle. WHy did I do strong lifts originally? I wanted something simple with a clean outline that helped perserve muscle mass while I reduced body fat. STrong lifts is okay for that. I got back in to lifting a few months ago. I was about to do 5x5. But I opted not to, one time I injured my back really bad doing dead lifts, I was bed ridden for a month literally. I watched countless videos on form, and make sure i did things right. STill got injured. A few of my friends compete in powerlifting, also injured their backs with deadlifting, i am sure their form is better than mine. He actually has a video of his back injury.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnqggNm7g0Q

There are many other options out there. My strength is increasing like never before, every time i go to the gym i break PR's. Last week i broke 5 PR's, 2 days ago i broke 3 PR's, last night I also broke 2 PR's.

Strong lifts isn't optimized, it has a greater risk of injury than other forms of training that produce better results. I would recommend more o a bodybuilding routine. I was reading a study a few weeks ago, i think it was 80% of powerlifters(lifters who do lifts similar to 5x5) have 80% more injuries than body builders.

This might be beneficial to you, it also explains why 5x5 isn't recommended.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSe6rnHhl8k

LOL' again using extreme examples.....guy injures himself doing a 518lb deadlift.............

Steve Shaw states @ 2:35 this video is based on guys who have lifting experience who go to use SL 5x5......... he talks about beginners for about a minute and even says it's an OK program.

Agree. The OP is a woman completely new to barbell training. I know woman who start the program and can't even start with the bar, so the his whole "Point #1" is invalid for a lot of women new to barbell training.

I'd also like to bring up the point that the program is free. No cost for investment if you find that barbell training isn't for you, OP.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Errr. Not sure I follow all that. I’m doing Starting Strength, which is quite similar to Stronglifts. On that basis, I would say they’re both excellent programs, particularly for beginners (like myself). I’ve had fantastic results with SS so far in terms of strength gains.

OP, stick to it, be safe, and you’ll see great results!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    I have started and stopped and restarted SL a few times and am now back to it again and hoping to stay with it. I have tried a few other programs and didn't feel any of them fit my needs and worked with my body. I am comfortable with the SL program and can do it in a normal amount of time in the gym. My goals are to reduce body fat, loose some weight, gain muscle and generally tighten up a lot of loose flab on my body. I'm not looking to be a power lifter and am just looking for a well rounded strength training program which is what SL is supposed to be.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    If I can remember my numbers right I was squatting 235lbs 5x5, benching 135lbs 5x5, OHP 90lbs 5x5, rows 100lbs 5x5, and deadlifting 255lbs 1x5.

@mamasmaltz3 I bow to thee. Wow.

Lol. Please don't. I've had a lot of setbacks in my training and have yet to hit my goals. I know some women who warm up with my puny weights. I've had a knee injury to rehab (did not happen lifting), and an adductor pull that have set me way back. But, I LOVE lifting. It has become my passion.

I started back in March 2012 with the goal of losing weight. I began by doing circuit training videos at home with 5lb Dumbbells. That was all I could manage at nearly 260lbs and sedentary. Over time I changed up programs, bought heavier and heavier Dumbbells and then made the big plunge and invested in a rack, bar, bench and nearly 400lbs of plates. That's when I started SL. I had lost 70lbs and gained a ton of strength and I just got stronger from there.

My current PR's are: squat 265lbs, deadlift 275lbs, bench 160lbs, row 140lbs and OHP 105lbs (how I hate this lift, lol). I'm turning 40 this July and was hoping to have hit 300lbs on my squat and deads by now, but it just hasn't worked out. Strength isn't just found in the body. I've grown so much from the mental hurdles.

Sorry, didn't mean to write a book, I just get excited about women starting to strength train. Stick with it ladies.

Makes it all the more impressive. Way to go.

One of the reasons--ok, sidetracking from the topic--I'm so wowed at this very moment is that I wrenched my back on Saturday (this plus a history of herniated discs), so I've given myself this week off from lifting and miss it. Seconded by the realization that at this point (6 months into lifting at 53 years old) my 105-lb squat may be close to my max. I feel my vertebrae compressing in an uncomfortable way, even with a belt on, when I get to that point. I know I could work up to more, probably, but with 4 herniated discs and sciatic nerve damage on one foot, I'm not sure I really should, or truly even can. So I'm just sitting here after not lifting for a week bummed out and extremely jealous of someone who can squat a three-digit number that begins with a "2." Let alone a three-digit number for OHP (I'm at 65 and find it very difficult to move past that). Good work, I remain impressed.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    OP what's the point of doing 5x5 compared to another program?? What are your goals??

See.... now you're getting somewhere, maybe ask these types of questions first; wait for a response, and then provide your advice and opinions.

Side note: Volume dictates hypertrophy, not rep ranges.........

• jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options

I just started today. I really like it! My days will be set up for Thursday/Saturday/Monday with Tuesday and Wednesday as my non-lift days. As a beginner today was 45lb / 45lb / 65lb. I'm looking forward to going up in weight for the next one :smile:

It's okay if you're looking to maintain muscular conditioning e.g. stay in "shape" muscular wise. But if you're specifically looking to build muscle, or build strength there are better programs out there.

I also believe that barbells have a greater risk for injury. I don't see the point of putting yourself at this potential risk unless you're a competitive athlete in power lifting.

Barbells used with incorrect form have an increased risk of injury. But, then again, ANY movement done incorrectly has an increased risk of injury.

THe world recorder holder for squats, herniated his disk, they said he would never lift again. You think he doesn't have "good form"? I know some competitive powerlifters here who have suffered from injuries as well. I am sure their form is better than most, it's their sport, and it's what they do.

You're really comparing a world record holder to someone just starting out a strength program? In order to become a world record holder I guarantee his form did not stay correct for all his big lifts. It's impossible to go for world records and not have form break down. That is the risk you run going for world records. That does not translate to the average gym goer starting a new strength program.

@Pu_239 just stay on topic please. The OP wanted advice from people who have done SL 5x5. If you have experience with it, great, please share it. If not, please move along.

SHe asked for feedback on it, I gave her my feed back, then you started to question me and asking me for specifics which lead in to another discussion. How many people posted before I did how they like the program? I disagree with all them. I just ignored them and gave my own opinion on the subject. If people don't agree with my post it can be ignored.

OP: I did strong lifts for a little while. It's an "ok" program. What i didn't like about this type of training is the warm up, dealing with barbelles, putting plates on, taking them off, putting everything back. It's a hassle. WHy did I do strong lifts originally? I wanted something simple with a clean outline that helped perserve muscle mass while I reduced body fat. STrong lifts is okay for that. I got back in to lifting a few months ago. I was about to do 5x5. But I opted not to, one time I injured my back really bad doing dead lifts, I was bed ridden for a month literally. I watched countless videos on form, and make sure i did things right. STill got injured. A few of my friends compete in powerlifting, also injured their backs with deadlifting, i am sure their form is better than mine. He actually has a video of his back injury.

There are many other options out there. My strength is increasing like never before, every time i go to the gym i break PR's. Last week i broke 5 PR's, 2 days ago i broke 3 PR's, last night I also broke 2 PR's.

Strong lifts isn't optimized, it has a greater risk of injury than other forms of training that produce better results. I would recommend more o a bodybuilding routine. I was reading a study a few weeks ago, i think it was 80% of powerlifters(lifters who do lifts similar to 5x5) have 80% more injuries than body builders.

LOL' again using extreme examples.....guy injures himself doing a 518lb deadlift.............

Steve Shaw states @ 2:35 this video is based on guys who have lifting experience who go to use SL 5x5......... he talks about beginners for about a minute and even says it's an OK program.
    You're omitting where Shaw states, "there are much better programs out there." He also talks about the squatting frequency how it's not recommended either. ChrisDavey(the guy in the video) is a highly respected member of MFP. Known him for years. It's about mathematics... Lets say 518lbs is 90% of his 1 rep max.

You go do deadlift for 5 reps at 200lbs with room to spare for 3 more reps. Estimated 1 rep max is 248lbs. On set 5, you do 4 reps. Your 1 rep max for set 5 is 218lbs. This is 91% of your 1 rep max. MORE than what Chris did in his video.

Since the OP is new to lifting, her form will more than likely be off. and have a greater risk of injury...

1. That's his own opinion not backed by anything.....
    2. It's going to take any novice female lifter awhile to have their deadlift at 200lbs x 5.
    3. It's about physics not mathematics......leverages / forces / etc....
    4. How about you use better sources than Steve Shaw.....lol. Do you know who Brad Schoenfeld is??? If not, I would recommend you read one of his 50 peer reviewed published studies.

• mamasmaltz3
    Options
    If I can remember my numbers right I was squatting 235lbs 5x5, benching 135lbs 5x5, OHP 90lbs 5x5, rows 100lbs 5x5, and deadlifting 255lbs 1x5.

@mamasmaltz3 I bow to thee. Wow.

Lol. Please don't. I've had a lot of setbacks in my training and have yet to hit my goals. I know some women who warm up with my puny weights. I've had a knee injury to rehab (did not happen lifting), and an adductor pull that have set me way back. But, I LOVE lifting. It has become my passion.

I started back in March 2012 with the goal of losing weight. I began by doing circuit training videos at home with 5lb Dumbbells. That was all I could manage at nearly 260lbs and sedentary. Over time I changed up programs, bought heavier and heavier Dumbbells and then made the big plunge and invested in a rack, bar, bench and nearly 400lbs of plates. That's when I started SL. I had lost 70lbs and gained a ton of strength and I just got stronger from there.

My current PR's are: squat 265lbs, deadlift 275lbs, bench 160lbs, row 140lbs and OHP 105lbs (how I hate this lift, lol). I'm turning 40 this July and was hoping to have hit 300lbs on my squat and deads by now, but it just hasn't worked out. Strength isn't just found in the body. I've grown so much from the mental hurdles.

Sorry, didn't mean to write a book, I just get excited about women starting to strength train. Stick with it ladies.

Makes it all the more impressive. Way to go.

One of the reasons--ok, sidetracking from the topic--I'm so wowed at this very moment is that I wrenched my back on Saturday (this plus a history of herniated discs), so I've given myself this week off from lifting and miss it. Seconded by the realization that at this point (6 months into lifting at 53 years old) my 105-lb squat may be close to my max. I feel my vertebrae compressing in an uncomfortable way, even with a belt on, when I get to that point. I know I could work up to more, probably, but with 4 herniated discs and sciatic nerve damage on one foot, I'm not sure I really should, or truly even can. So I'm just sitting here after not lifting for a week bummed out and extremely jealous of someone who can squat a three-digit number that begins with a "2." Let alone a three-digit number for OHP (I'm at 65 and find it very difficult to move past that). Good work, I remain impressed.

Well, thank you. I'm impressed that you're 53 years young and pushing your physical limits. It doesn't matter what the number on the bar is, you're moving and challenging yourself. I still hope to reach 300, but if I don't I'm learning to come to terms with that also. I have a history of back and neck issues, that existed before the lifting, so I'm learning to listen to my body and work on mobility and weaknesses. You're inspiring to me.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    OP --you posted the following less than a week ago ("It's never enough"):
    Sorry I was unclear. I'm trying to drop a few additional pounds and get to athlete level body fat percentage.

1,000 is my baseline and I do tend to go over by a couple of hundred a day, I try to stay within a cron type of diet and slowly lower my calories while getting maximum nutrients from the foods that I eat. It's a challenge, not sustainable I know. I'm trying to build additional muscle/tone. For activities I practice MMA and kickboxing, HIIT and various calisthenics, I lift weights 3 to 4 times per week, I dance a couple of times per week. I use the machines (cross ramp elliptical) I walk and sometimes run (interval sprints), I practice barre and legitamate ballet and I do wavemaster and some free-weight classes. Aside from the low calorie range I try to eat to perform in terms of eating the appropriate foods to fuel my daily activities before/after a work out.

What's the deal with over training? Sometimes in my mind I feel like I'm overtraining but my body doesn't feel that way at all. I'm not tired, I look forward to my workouts, I'm able to give a lot of effort, I get plenty of sleep...

Are you wanting to add SL5x5 to your existing activity menu? On a "calorie restriction diet"?

I am in week 4 and I can tell you that SL5x5 can wipe me out. And I eat!

• mamasmaltz3
    Options

You're omitting where Shaw states, "there are much better programs out there." He also talks about the squatting frequency how it's not recommended either. ChrisDavey(the guy in the video) is a highly respected member of MFP. Known him for years. It's about mathematics... Lets say 518lbs is 90% of his 1 rep max.

You go do deadlift for 5 reps at 200lbs with room to spare for 3 more reps. Estimated 1 rep max is 248lbs. On set 5, you do 4 reps. Your 1 rep max for set 5 is 218lbs. This is 91% of your 1 rep max. MORE than what Chris did in his video.

Since the OP is new to lifting, her form will more than likely be off. and have a greater risk of injury...

2. It's going to take any novice female lifter awhile to have their deadlift at 200lbs x 5.
    4. How about you use better sources than Steve Shaw.....lol. Do you know who Brad Schoenfeld is??? If not, I would recommend you read one of his 50 peer reviewed published studies.

Also want to add that SL is a BEGINNER program. You should transition off this program to an intermediate program when you are no longer progressing on this one. Powerlifters keep being used as examples and I know of no competitive powerlifters who are on the SL 5x5 program, because it is a program for BEGINNERS.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the SL 5X5 and am blown away by some of the weights you ladies are lifting. It's really inspirational. My goal is to be able to squat my body weight but I have a way to go. I'm loving the programme and have seen the biggest changes in my back and shoulders. I was always a keen 'squatter' but had never done a benchpress or a row.

I'll share my stats. Female, 42 yrs, on healthy journey 2.5 yrs, 56lbs (4stone) lost. Lifting for 2 yrs. I am on week 7 of SL 5X5. Current weight 10st 8lb (148lbs)

SQ 47.5kg (104lb)
    BP 35kg (81lb)
    ROW 37.5kg (82lb)
    DL 67.5kg (148lb)

I feel like I'm getting close to my max on a few of the lifts so might have to slow the progress down a bit. What is the advice when you feel like you cant up the weight any more? Stick with it for a week or 2 then try and up it? Or change the exercises for a while and come back to it?
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the SL 5X5 and am blown away by some of the weights you ladies are lifting. It's really inspirational. My goal is to be able to squat my body weight but I have a way to go. I'm loving the programme and have seen the biggest changes in my back and shoulders. I was always a keen 'squatter' but had never done a benchpress or a row.

I'll share my stats. Female, 42 yrs, on healthy journey 2.5 yrs, 56lbs (4stone) lost. Lifting for 2 yrs. I am on week 7 of SL 5X5. Current weight 10st 8lb (148lbs)

SQ 47.5kg (104lb)
    BP 35kg (81lb)
    ROW 37.5kg (82lb)
    DL 67.5kg (148lb)

I feel like I'm getting close to my max on a few of the lifts so might have to slow the progress down a bit. What is the advice when you feel like you cant up the weight any more? Stick with it for a week or 2 then try and up it? Or change the exercises for a while and come back to it?

I have been wondering the same thing! I've only been at it for a month, but I've stalled out on squats around 80% of my body weight and I am pretty sure I can see the deadlift plateau at exactly body weight from here...
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I have a couple friends who switched to the 5/3/1 when they felt they were maxing out on strong lifts.

• kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »
    I have a couple friends who switched to the 5/3/1 when they felt they were maxing out on strong lifts.

Does that mean 5/3/1 instead of 5/5/5/5/5?

Is the theory that you can lift a bigger weight if you aren't doing as many reps? Sorry for the newbie questions!
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options

Is the theory that you can lift a bigger weight if you aren't doing as many reps? Sorry for the newbie questions!

That's basically it. For example, I might only be able to do 1 rep at 90% of my max, while I could obviously do more reps at a lower weight.
  • Azexas
    Options

Yupp- Check out Wendler's 5/3/1 This is probably what I will swap to when I max out at Strong Lifts

https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/531-how-to-build-pure-strength
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I liked it, I think it's a good way to build strength. I don't currently do it because I'm focused on other things like hard cardiovascular endurance training but if your primary goal right now is just to be able to lift more weight with large groups of muscles then 5x5 is a great way to go.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options

bro do you even?

this advice is terrible, unsurprisingly
  • Azexas
    Options
    Maybe if we stop talking to him....he'll go away.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options

Physics is just applied mathematics. You're still missing the point about the deadlift. What is a 1 rep max? The maximum amount of weight you can move for 1 rep. If you have a powerlifter who has a 1rep max of 1000lbs, and a woman who has a 1 rep max of 100lbs. 80% for the powerlifter is 800lbs, 80% for the woman is 80lbs. 80% is still 80% doesn't matter the weight. That's the point, the stress and load is the same in either case. it's80% of their 1 rep max in both cases.

and yes, I do have some "good sources" 5x5 is more of powerlifter routine than a body builder routine, so her are some good sources for you.

" A percentage of 43.3% of powerlifters complained of problems during routine workouts. Injury rate was calculated as 0.3 injuries per lifter per year (1 000 h of training=1 injury). There was no evidence that intrinsic or extrinsic factors affected this rate. Most commonly injured body regions were the shoulder, lower back and the knee. "
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21590644

"Powerlifting showed a twice as high injury rate as bodybuilding, probably of grounds of a more uniform training program. "
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2711326

Here is my progress report for last month
    s1ozjzs3e2pd.png
    wft5y3uzt94n.png

41 personal records broken last month. This means my "strength" is going up with a "body building" routine. Once again, no "NEED" for those type of 5x5 workouts. What do they accomplish that another program can't accomplish with less of a risk of injury?

SO OP there are other programs out there, that can get you better results.

5x5 is a proven framework and once again your anecdotal waste of thread space is inconsequential

people gain strength on "bb" programs all the time, yet this does not mean such programs are optimal for strength development

obviously people who are pushing for 1RMs for competitions are going to be more injury-prone than ones who are running bb programs

it sounds like lifting heavy *kitten* is not for you since you have repeatedly injured yourself but that has no bearing on what is good for others