Decided to have "a beer" yesterday...logged in myfitnesspal...wow

Options

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    lisalsd1 wrote: »
    2 pints of Guinness has 320 calories. I've obviously logged "2 pints of Guinness" several times into MFP.

I think I'd like to do more hanging out with you.

And, no, "lite" beer does not count as beer. It's a fricking fracking BEER SPRITZER at best. Yuck. Talk about not worth the calories! I'd rather have seltzer at 0 calories than a "lite beer"

Cosigned
  • drewlfitness
    drewlfitness Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    Alcohol, especially beer, is a great ally when bulking.

Hugh Jackman, Mark Wahlberg, The Rock... all those guys consume a lot of calories from alcohol on a weekly basis.

No way...how could they keep their body fat percentage low
  • drewlfitness
    drewlfitness Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    You picked an absurd example of a beer to declare you cant drink beer while trying to lose weight...

There are plenty of <200 calorie flavorful craft beers. If you are drinking to get drunk, then don't bother with the good stuff. That is a waste.

If drinking to you means "stealing happiness from the next day" then you might want to rethink how much you drink. FWIW I drink a couple of pints a night, every single night. I never have issues the next day. I was even doing that when I was trying to cut weight. Just depends on what and how much...

Yep, I already have given how much I drink some "thought", and basically my solution is to simply not drink alcohol.

If having a few beers is nearly the same as having 3 waters, then I may as well not drink.

For me, it takes me a lot to actually get the buzz I'm looking for (not really drunk, no). I require a lot of alcohol. Because of this, my hangover intensity is worse.

If I didn't require as much alcohol to feel a strong buzz, well that would be great. Not only would I not have to consume as much, I'll also have much less hangover due to simply not having consumed a ton of alcohol.

I weigh 250, 18% body fat, but I'm only 6'1". Maybe more muscle mass makes it harder to feel a buzz.
  • GwenieW
    GwenieW Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've switched to a good whisky on ice - potent and smooth. If I crave a beer "taste" (and that's about all you get from it), I drink Bud Select which is adequate, but light beer isn't beer (I'm born and raised in Milwaukee). Having a drink is NOT diet death, but *caution* drinking too much does make you want to eat EVERYTHING around!
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    Illini_Jim wrote: »
    Guinness my man...Guinness.

That's my beer of choice!
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    GwenieW wrote: »
    Having a drink is NOT diet death, but *caution* drinking too much does make you want to eat EVERYTHING around!

This is definitely true
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options

Hugh Jackman, Mark Wahlberg, The Rock... all those guys consume a lot of calories from alcohol on a weekly basis.

They constantly bulk and cut, cut and bulk, bulk and cut... You need the extra calories for the bulk, but I would imagine with activity levels so high, they could still enjoy alcohol on a cut.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    I prefer a good old fashion BLOODY MARY with the works (no extra salt); but, on my caloric count, that would be one of my meals. LOL! I'll drink a 'cold' beer if it is hot as Hades outside; but, I really do not like the taste; and especially the after-taste after a good burp.
  • Sydking
    Sydking Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    Something's not right. 70 grams of carbs is only 280 calories.

Alcohol calories are 7 cals per gram
  • Th3Wall
    Th3Wall Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Gska17 wrote: »
    *hugs Miller Lite to chest*

^ THIS
  • hollymonster312
    hollymonster312 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Just drink Guiness :)
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Illini_Jim wrote: »
    Guinness my man...Guinness.

A man after my own heart! LOL

I've been losing steady and have continued to imbibe in my favourite alcoholic tasties along the way. A little extra exercise needed at times to fit it in, but for me, it's a small price to pay. I enjoy my wine, beer and cocktails :)
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    bhawk102 wrote: »
    Guinness has 125 calories. Best low cal beer out there
    This is good news. It is also pretty nutrient dense, so win-win.
  • steelergirl743
    steelergirl743 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Wow did not know there was a beer out there with that many calories. I drink Michelob Ultra when I want a beer 12 ounces are 95 calories way less then the beer you drank.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Th3Wall wrote: »
    Gska17 wrote: »
    *hugs Miller Lite to chest*

^ THIS

Another one!!! I shall cry tears into my next real beer. :(
  • steelergirl743
    steelergirl743 Posts: 6 Member
    Options

If you ever noticed they exercise way more than we ever will exercise and pay high bucks to keep the weight off.
  • tedm1969
    tedm1969 Posts: 7 Member
    Options

They constantly bulk and cut, cut and bulk, bulk and cut... You need the extra calories for the bulk, but I would imagine with activity levels so high, they could still enjoy alcohol on a cut.

Alcohol is bad for muscle growth and recovery. I would bet that when adding lean muscle they avoid alcohol as much as possible. I would also bet that they use HGH and or anabolic steroids.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    A small glass of red wine a few times a week or a vodka tonic with diet tonic water does it for me. I don't drink out of boredom. I drink because I teach junior high.

Elementary school. I'm right there with you. My first week I went home on Friday and drank an ENTIRE bottle of wine. If stress burned calories I'd be below my goal weight even with such instances of drinking.
  • Ileanas4EverLuv
    Ileanas4EverLuv Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love my cocktails and beer too but need to stay away from them as much as possible when dieting. All it takes is a weekend of too much fun and what took me 5 weeks to lose will be back in a flash by the following Monday.
  • Amytreetop
    Amytreetop Posts: 12 Member
    Options

A friend once told me, drinking is like stealing happiness from the next day.

Profound...