How to cut out a lot of carbs.. Need advice.

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Low carb wraps for sandwiches instead of bread (these aren't horrible for a low carb pizza crust or pizza wrap)
    Some things are also good on lettuce wraps
    Thinly sliced bread, when you do have bread
    Spaghetti squash or spiralized vegetables can be good vehicles for pasta sauce, when you don't have room for pasta
    I use Fiber Gourmet pasta, which has 1/2 the calories of regular and is pretty low in net carbs, because it's ultra high fiber
  • NoelleRondini
    NoelleRondini Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I think what would probably work best for me, after reading everyone's responses, I'm going to try eating bread and pasta in moderation, and I will go from there.

• NoelleRondini
    NoelleRondini Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    Thank you everyone! Your replies were great! I've cut back on a lot of let's call it "bored eating" when I'm home by myself I would just nip pick at anything in the house multiple times a day, (chips, cookies, ect.) when we order pizza, I can eat half a large, I don't even know where it goes cause I'm only 5'1 @ 186lbs. (Most of my weight I gained during pregnancy) haha, but I guess I will just have to try to cut it out cold turkey. :)

OR.... You could try accurately logging every single thing that you eat, seeing how it all adds up, and find ways to fit the foods you enjoy into your day. Eat 2 pieces of pizza with a salad, rather than half a large. Pre logging food before you eat it helps many people plan their days and avoid the mindless snacking that you describe.

Are you currently weighing and logging all your food? If not, you may want to try that for a period before going the extreme restriction route.

Yes. Recently I have started to think about pre logging in my meals/snacks so I don't go over my calorie limit or tempted.
  • tripleAfit
    tripleAfit Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'd say take note of trigger foods or carbs you just don't get full on (pizza for me) I will not have that unless again blue moon. But I found on a low to no carb diet my performance in the gym dropped horribly and I felt tired all the time. I eat brown rice whole wheat pasta etc around the time I work out and after and I'm killing it in the gym! Carbs=energy
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    OK, some people can eat these things in moderation. Probably even most people. But for others, the signals for satiety are pretty weak when it comes to this type of food. I was one of those. Pizza was just too damn good. Caloric content didn't matter -- I'd scarf down most of a large pizza.

If you're like me, you'll know it, and only cold turkey worked for me. If you're "normal" and can easily eat carbs in moderation, don't assume everybody else can too. If you're overweight, you're probably like me. If you have high triglycerides, you're probably like me.

Uh what? :o I started out overweight and a pre-diabetic. Lost the weight (around 60lbs), normalized my glucose number in the process, and I've been successfully maintaining now for over two years. Current triglycerides number are a 49 btw. I lost the weight while still eating all the foods I enjoyed, including carb heavy foods like pasta. To assume most people who are overweight need to cut out foods that they enjoy, in order to lose weight is silly.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    To clarify my "cold turkey" statement, this is what I said:
    You need to do it long enough so that it becomes a habit. After 1-2 months, you'll be on autopilot. You'll find the cravings go away.

I.e., cold turkey until you are weaned off of carbs. Not for life.

I also eat carbs occasionally, but the "carb intolerance" doesn't get cured. For me, it's still a good idea to stay low carb, and I don't feel a bit deprived.
  • wabmester
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    OK, some people can eat these things in moderation. Probably even most people. But for others, the signals for satiety are pretty weak when it comes to this type of food. I was one of those. Pizza was just too damn good. Caloric content didn't matter -- I'd scarf down most of a large pizza.

If you're like me, you'll know it, and only cold turkey worked for me. If you're "normal" and can easily eat carbs in moderation, don't assume everybody else can too. If you're overweight, you're probably like me. If you have high triglycerides, you're probably like me.

Nope, I was obese and nothing like you.

And I'm thankful for that.
  • wabmester
    edited June 2015
    Options

Nope, I was obese and nothing like you.

And I'm thankful for that.

Which eliminates your theory that if someone was obese with high triglycerides they were like you.

High TG is a byproduct of carbs acting on the liver. Obesity has many causes, but the data suggest that most are insulin resistant. Losing weight and exercise both improve insulin sensitivity, no matter how you do it. But if you were ever insulin resistant, you are predisposed for it.

You don't need to be low carb if you keep your calories in check, but high carb + excess calories gets the underlying pathology started.

• wabmester
    Options
    Thanks for that insight. "Like me" = insulin resistant = carb intolerant. "Like me" = poor carb-specific satiety = likely to eat too many carbs = likely to gain weight and make lots of TG. If you're like me, going cold turkey long enough to lower insulin and lower carb cravings is a Good Idea. Chances are pretty good that you'll lose weight in the process.

If that's wrong, I don't want to be right. :)
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    For me personally I had to drop my carbs to under 20 grams. Most people can do fine on a diet with a lot of carbs, however, I am not one of those people. My body is extremely sensitive to carbs (the starchy ones). I have cut out all starchy carbs and refined sugar. In doing so I've went from 240 to 170. But I know this is how I'll need to eat for life and I'm pretty okay with that. Moderation of all foods while being in a deficit just doesn't work for me. My body has no limits when it comes to eating carbs, so I had to cut them out aside from vegetables and the occasional fruit.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Former pizza addict here (bread and pasta were also loved). I had to go cold turkey. Cut out all grains and junk carbs. You need to do it long enough so that it becomes a habit. After 1-2 months, you'll be on autopilot. You'll find the cravings go away.

Any attempt at "moderation" or an occasional "cheat" will doom you to failure.

Key to success: eat low-carb food you already love. Eggs, meats, veggies, nuts, cheese, even DARK chocolate.

Results: you will probably lose weight effortlessly. Without hunger. But you may find all sort of side-benefits you didn't even expect. You won't know till you try. :)

na, attempting to restrict whole fool groups will doom you to a life of misery and sadness.

OP - I would suggest finding a way to moderate the foods you like and fit them into your calorie/macro/micro goal. I eat anywhere from 170 to 200+ grams of carbs on a daily basis and I have had no issues maintaining or losing weight...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    460mustang wrote: »
    Japanese shirataki noodles
    Spaghetti Squash with Marinara
    Japchae (Korean Stir-Fried Sweet Potato Noodles)
    Portabello Mushroom Pizzas
    Mac-and-Cheese-Style Cauliflower

Search the internet for "low carb alternative to pasta" lots of information. Personally, I'm not on low carb diet. So I have not tried these, but seeing them on the net they looked good. I think I'm going to try the mushroom pizza and the Mac-and-Cheese-Style Cauliflower

do those come with a side of tears?

cauliflower mac and cheese, really????

why not just eat real carbs, just a tad less of them...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Thank you everyone! Your replies were great! I've cut back on a lot of let's call it "bored eating" when I'm home by myself I would just nip pick at anything in the house multiple times a day, (chips, cookies, ect.) when we order pizza, I can eat half a large, I don't even know where it goes cause I'm only 5'1 @ 186lbs. (Most of my weight I gained during pregnancy) haha, but I guess I will just have to try to cut it out cold turkey. :)

you may want to try pre logging your day with what you are going to eat. that way you can see where you are going over on calories and adjust as necessary. That is a big help for me.
  • wabmester
    Options
    Thanks for that insight. "Like me" = insulin resistant = carb intolerant. "Like me" = poor carb-specific satiety = likely to eat too many carbs = likely to gain weight and make lots of TG. If you're like me, going cold turkey long enough to lower insulin and lower carb cravings is a Good Idea. Chances are pretty good that you'll lose weight in the process.

If that's wrong, I don't want to be right. :)
    Meh, not what you said earlier but it's fine if you want to change "like me" to all those things now.

Yeah, I was trying to be concise. Thanks for drawing me out. :)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    My favorite thing to eat is bread and pasta. I would like to cut it out and find some other alternatives. I found that cutting out bread and pasta I saw more results.... But idk where to start. I'm having a hard time this time around.

Noelle this is a question many of us have asked because most who have tried cutting carbs have seen better results like you. Trying to keep from taking Enbrel for pain last Oct (2014) I finally just went off carbs cold turkey. That was anything with sugar or that turned to sugar like all grains and starchy foods. For the first couple months I cut out dairy to be on the safe side but then added it back.

Any processed food could be a good starting point. If you are not carb intolerant you could just start by cutting out food that contains added sugar for example. I replaced my carbs (still eat about 50 grams daily) with Fat and try to keep my protein around 75 grams daily. That is not a suggestion for you but just what works best from my health at this stage of life.

Best of success but since you are on right track for success I think you will see good results again.
  • ndj1979
    edited June 2015
    Options
    My favorite thing to eat is bread and pasta. I would like to cut it out and find some other alternatives. I found that cutting out bread and pasta I saw more results.... But idk where to start. I'm having a hard time this time around.

Noelle this is a question many of us have asked because most who have tried cutting carbs have seen better results like you. Trying to keep from taking Enbrel for pain last Oct (2014) I finally just went off carbs cold turkey. That was anything with sugar or that turned to sugar like all grains and starchy foods. For the first couple months I cut out dairy to be on the safe side but then added it back.

Any processed food could be a good starting point. If you are not carb intolerant you could just start by cutting out food that contains added sugar for example. I replaced my carbs (still eat about 50 grams daily) with Fat and try to keep my protein around 75 grams daily. That is not a suggestion for you but just what works best from my health at this stage of life.

Best of success but since you are on right track for success I think you will see good results again.

so eat nothing then? Because when you boil it down everything is processed….

ETA - if ou took a low carb person on 500 calorie deficit and a IIFYM person on 500 calorie deficit and fed them the same amount of protein they would be lose about the same weight.

or are you going to contest that?