Is a 1200 calorie day really realistic???? Is that what most of you are doing????

Options

Replies

• shaydarin
    shaydarin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It REALLY DEPENDS. I'm a personal trainer and I have a client on 1200 cals/day, but that's because she WAS eating 600-800 calories. We are slowly moving her back up to normal calories. She's already lost 5% body fat at those calories. But if you're used to eating 3000 cals/ day, moving it down to 1200 to lose weight is ridiculous and you will not stick to it. I never go by the recommended. I always make my own goals and my clients' own goals.
  • smilinjacksgirl
    smilinjacksgirl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    there are a few things to take into consideration for sure - and your caloric intake should adjust based on your activity level --
    currently i am following the "eat right 4 your type" long term lifestyle eating plan. I am eating 5 - 6 healthy, filling meals a day - i have also set my macro-nutrients based on my body type check that out online and see WHAT KIND of calories you should be eating this is also very important!
    if i skip the empty calories, I'm right around 1200 calories a day at 25% carbs, 40% fat, 35% protein. I agree that the # calories SEEMS to be low however, its a lot of food, its all healthy and good for me. I've been losing about .5 lbs a day as long as i dont over do the CARBS

my energy level has risen quite a bit by eating the right foods - i have even STOPPED consuming sodas and coffee!
    i am on a light excise schedule right now - low impact aerobics, yoga and walking.

as you increase your workouts - you have to increase carbs for energy and protein for rebuilding muscles

If you are unsure where to start, let the app set your goals, see how you are doing / feeling and adjust from there
  • kscarf1
    kscarf1 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm a 43-year-old female trying to lose 100 pounds. I am sedentary because of a stress fracture, so the only exercise I am getting is my physical therapy exercises. I am eating 1300 calories a day and it took a while to get adjusted to it, but it's working well for me. I eat three meals and I eat light snacks in between meals (80-calorie yogurt, 60-calorie half-cup of Fiber One). I get hungry at the times I should get hungry. I am sure that as I am able to exercise more, that I will up the calories a little.
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I'd not survive on 1200 a day and I have no idea how others do it. Your body needs fuel. I'm on 1790 a day and losing no problem!
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    For anything over 1/2 a pound loss/week, MFP tells me I would have to be at 1200. In reality, I'd actually be in the 1050-1100 range. I have my goal set to 1/2 a pound; for that, MFP gives me 1330. I manually increased that to 1400 because 1330 was too little for me to be happy and I'm in no rush to meet my weight goal. In general, I stay at my net calorie goal (meaning I eat back all exercise calories, which aren't much with my mobility issue, but can get me up to 1600 some days). Because of various factors (social events, PMS), I'll eat over my calories one to three times a month. I don't sweat it; it's easy enough to drop 50-100 calories a day for a while either by eating less or exercising more to make up for such indulgences. At 1200 or less, I don't think I'd feel like I had that kind of flexibility; I'd certainly be lightheaded and not very energetic if I were to cut down from a net of 1200, so I'd likely feel bad about overindulging, or I'd stop overindulging entirely. Neither option particularly appeals to me.
  • Cobourg
    Cobourg Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Actually due to a medical condition I am doing a rotation of calories 900, 1000, 1200 and 900, 1000, 1200 but this is under medical supervision so I would not advise it. Usual recommendations would be no lower than 1200.
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Mine is at 1220. I eat back my exercise calories so I eat an average of about 1500 per day. It works for me- I'm losing a pound per week!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I eat between 1600 and 1800 calories a day and I am losing slowly. I've eaten at 1,200 calories a day and it takes a great deal of focus, dedication, and measuring not to go over.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I eat around 3000 to maintain and 2300 - 2500 to lose

About the same for me. 48/M. But I do exercise a lot.
  • jld12323
    jld12323 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I too am on 1200 calories, have been for 2 months. I find that its what I have been eating that is taking me off my goal to lose weight. My dietician told me I needed to lower my calories, eat more nutritious foods, not skip meals or breakfast. You do not have to eat 3 huge meals a day. Its the lighter flair during the day, smaller meals with exercise of some sort. Also with the exercise (mine is walking because of back surgery a year ago, and I am building muscle mass which weighs some, while loosing fat which weights also.,my clothes are looking better on me, and my legs are not jiggling when I walk, as my husband tells me LOL.
    I see pounds lost on the scale, but if I gain a few here and there .. Well, that's ok because like I said muscle also weighs. I am glad my dietician turned me on to this site. I enjoy reading everyone's goals and situations. Please, I would like to befriend many of you for motivation and push toward my goal...... To get the weight off my back so I can move around and walk easier for longer periods of time. Thanks Everyone for sharing.......
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I'm sticking with 1600 a day, it was 1700 for a while. I'd never go under 1200.
  • esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1200...some days are hard but most are just fine!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Oh mercy - not for me! I could never eat only 1200. How absolutely miserable.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I did 1550 to start and as MFP lowered my calories, I always went over. Lost what I wanted. I couldn't do 1200. I'm finding it hard to do even 2000 now while trying to lose a little bit.
  • moosiemom
    moosiemom Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I had the same question. I am also only at day2. I'm 130 lbs, 5'3 and would like to lose 15 lbs to reach my ideal weight for my height. But MFP recommends I eat only 1200 calories a day. Yesterday I consumed 2175 calories, and MFP said if I continue eating like this everyday, I will gain 5 lbs in 5 weeks. I changed my goal from 1 lb to 0.5 lb per week and it only gave me an extra 100 calories. My goal now is 1300. I also wasn't sure if that was doable.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    No, not realistic for people of average height. Not even realistic for me, and I'm just under 5 feet.
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I think 1200 would take some planning depending on how you eat regularly and if you care about things like protein, fiber and the rest of that stuff.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,120 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I started at about 1275 or so ... lost some weight and MFP lowered my max calories ... lost some more weight and MFP lowered my max calories ....

Eventually I was lowered to 1200. I tried that for a few days and just found it a tiny bit too difficult. So I manually raised it to 1250. Those extra 50 cal give me a little bit of flexibility.

Therefore, on a day when I don't do any exercise (very rare), my limit is 1250.

But on a day when I do some exercise, I aim to eat about half my exercise calories back. So there are days where I'm eating 1600 or 1800 cal ... because of the amount of exercise I do. :)

Yesterday was a hungry day for me for some reason ... so I rode my bicycle on the trainer for 50 min to give myself some extra room for food. I also walked about half an hour at lunch.

For me, 1250 isn't bad because of the exercise I do and the fact that the exercise I do allows me to eat more.

The 1250 limit forces me to think about what I'm eating more than I would if I were at a higher limit. I have to think ... will this particular food leave me feeling full for a little while, or will I feel hungry again in 30 min? Do I really want this particular food? I now eat only the foods I really like ... no sense wasting calories on foods I don't like! And I choose foods with some staying power.

Interestingly, I'm actually eating a wider variety of foods than I was before I started on this mission. I've taken this opportunity to explore grocery stores and markets for options and alternatives to what I was eating before.

The 1250 limit also encourages me to exercise. I do get hungry, but happily exercise allows me to eat more. So if I'm feeling a little bit lazy ... but I'm also hungry ... I'll get my butt off the sofa and go for a walk or bicycle ride or something so that I can eat more. I've even been motivated to take the stairs to my floor at work a few times because it gives an extra approx. 30 cal to work with each time I go up. I did it again this morning, and plan to do it again at lunch.

And it's working ... amazingly well. I've been surprised how well this is working. If I had known it would work this well a year ago, I'd have started then!

(BTW - just thought I'd add ... when I set up my profile/goals/etc. I chose to lose 0.5 kg/week, and was given the 1275 I mentioned in my first post. It wasn't long before MFP had dropped me to 1200 which was just a bit too low for me. Since I manually raised it to 1250, MFP tells me that I should lose 0.4 kg/week. As it happens, I am actually losing more than that and I'm happy with the progress so I'm leaving it as is for now :) )
  • TSPZ
    TSPZ Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was eating over 2000 a day! I'm trying to stick as close to 1000 as I can by portioning meals through the day. Everyone is different. I don't think anyone can tell you what's right for you. once I start with the PT and start getting back into my swing of things I will increase the intake.