Replies

• LolaKarwowski
    LolaKarwowski Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    SideSteel wrote: »
    the most accurate method is DEXA of bod pod ….

yes, i would say 25 to 28% body fat….however, I would not freak out about it. Woman genetically hold onto more fat than men, and lean for woman is about 18% …so you are only 10% away …

why do you need to know your body fat to calculate calories? Just enter your stats into MFP and how much weight per week you want to lose and it will give you a number to eat to?

I need it to calculate how many calories to consume while dieting to burn fat. I feel like MFP just gives you a number of calories to eat in order to lose weight and it doesn't necessarily matter where it comes from.

I'm trying to lose body fat % by eating lots of protein + healthy fats, and reducing my carb intake (not cutting it out completely). I just want to make sure I'm not over/under eating.

I will not only be relying on my body fat %. I am also taking weekly pics, weighing myself, and seeing how I fit in my clothes (already I feel a difference!!).

If you guys have any suggestions PLEASE let me know. I'm still learning and don't mind constructive criticism if it means it will help me reach my goal.

You need a deficit to lose fat, period.

second, your body is not efficient enough to just burn fat and not lose any muscle, so ditch that idea.

Third - if you want to lose body fat and retain muscle then get into a lifting program (which it sounds like you are going to start stronglifts, which is great) and keep your protein consumption high. About .8 grams of protein per pound of body weight, should do it....or you can do it be .8 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass...I have seen it recommended both ways...

If she's new to resistance training I would expect her to be quite efficient at not losing muscle. I'd even be comfortable claiming she could gain a little bit of it if she doesn't cut too aggressively or get too lean.

was she lifting before starting strong lifts? I thought yes, but if I missed that part, then yes, I agree….

Yeah but only for like, 2 weeks. I'm excited to start!!
  • Kmedeiros83
    Kmedeiros83 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I've found that the Omron device is within about 2 percentage points "usually" of a more expensive tanita scale.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I've found that the Omron device is within about 2 percentage points "usually" of a more expensive tanita scale.

Tanita scale also relies on bio electrical impedance, so it will also suffer from similar inaccuracies.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I think the bioimpedence scales and handhelds can be about 8-10% off, maybe even more.
  • SusanUW83
    SusanUW83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    these devices, like the scales use impedence, which varies depending on how dehydrated you are -- why you might have lower weight but higher BF in the morning on the device, than later in the day after drinking a lot of water. I use mine to tell me when I need to drink more fluid, and for trends, if you measure at the same time of day.
  • syndeo
    syndeo Posts: 68 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Intensity of your exercise and how you rest (make sure your getting enough) will help you burn body fat more efficiently.
    Steady state cardio is good at burning calories, but doesn't do much to raise RMR. Adding in intervals regardless of what cardio you do will enhance your RMR. You burn the majority of your fat at REST. So lack of rest disrupts a more efficient burning of body fat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

You are talking pure nonsense. There is no such thing as a fat burning zone. The bigger the deficit, the greater the weight loss (and fat loss), if your macros are right. Ie, getting enough protein, and you are performing strength training a couple times a week. I am assuming you are attempting reasonable weight loss of 1-2 pounds a week,

HIIT doesn't increase your RMR, unless you are referring to EPOC. And the gain from EPOC is minor, 7% of total calories in EPOC for steady state, vs 14% more calories due to EPOC for HIIT. That is 14% of the calories you burned during the HIIT session. Most people can burn significantly more calories in an hour long steady state at 70% of max effort then you can in an hour at 100% effort with rest periods.

Furthermore, the fitter you are, more efficient you are, the less EPOC you get. And the fitter you are, the lower the RMR.

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    syndeo wrote: »
    Intensity of your exercise and how you rest (make sure your getting enough) will help you burn body fat more efficiently.
    Steady state cardio is good at burning calories, but doesn't do much to raise RMR. Adding in intervals regardless of what cardio you do will enhance your RMR. You burn the majority of your fat at REST. So lack of rest disrupts a more efficient burning of body fat.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

You are talking pure nonsense. There is no such thing as a fat burning zone. The bigger the deficit, the greater the weight loss (and fat loss), if your macros are right. Ie, getting enough protein, and you are performing strength training a couple times a week. I am assuming you are attempting reasonable weight loss of 1-2 pounds a week,

HIIT doesn't increase your RMR, unless you are referring to EPOC. And the gain from EPOC is minor, 7% of total calories in EPOC for steady state, vs 14% more calories due to EPOC for HIIT. That is 14% of the calories you burned during the HIIT session. Most people can burn significantly more calories in an hour long steady state at 70% of max effort then you can in an hour at 100% effort with rest periods.

Furthermore, the fitter you are, more efficient you are, the less EPOC you get. And the fitter you are, the lower the RMR.

Try again.

http://static.ow.ly/docs/Interval Training v Continuous Training_5gS.pdf
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8028502
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8883001
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18197184
  • LolaKarwowski
    LolaKarwowski Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

And you think 2 lbs a week is a reasonable fat loss rate for someone that is already in a healthy weight range? How exactly would expect her to have a 1000 calorie deficit? By barely eating?

Lol I was gonna say.. I don't want to lose THAT much a week. Maybe before when I was overweight but now it would be a bit harder to do that.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

You are talking pure nonsense. There is no such thing as a fat burning zone. The bigger the deficit, the greater the weight loss (and fat loss), if your macros are right. Ie, getting enough protein, and you are performing strength training a couple times a week. I am assuming you are attempting reasonable weight loss of 1-2 pounds a week.
    No where did I mention a "fat burning" zone. And please find any medical book that doesn't state the main energy source burned at rest is fat. We burn more fat sleeping 8 hours than if one exercised steady state 70% intensity for an hour.

Lol, there are peer reviewed studies like the above that trump what you opine. HIIT is more anaerobic than aerobic which is why the difference in calorie burn, but intensity and stress greatly affects how the body compensates in recovery, building, fitness and yes how one burns body fat.

I'll take the physique of a sprinter over a long distance runner any day of the week.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

= Nonsense
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I have one, I also use it for trending because of the inaccuracy. And even then I don't feel it's worth my time to pull it out and use it even though it takes 30 seconds so it sits for months at a time.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I have the Omron scale and never use it. I don't find it helpful, I know in other ways that I'm losing fat. It is unreliable.
  • NaomiDollar
    NaomiDollar Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    How is this machine in determining FM and FFM?