Which do you prefer? Treadmill, stepper or running outside?

Options
124»

Replies

• Kittyluvluvs
    Kittyluvluvs Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Elliptical. I used to prefer the treadmill but now I have a really bad bunion that makes the force of running too painful on my toe/foot to endure regularly.
  • kellyship17
    kellyship17 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Running outside! There's so much more look at and it's so much more interesting! I only use the treadmill if it's thunderstorming.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    outside rain or shine. I think the only time I wouldn't is during the times when ice is a factor. not sure what i'll do then. probably pop in a power yoga/cardio yoga dvd
    inside I would say elipitical, I don't like treads or steppers

I just started it and doing it. I still don't like, but I love that I'm doing something hard and getting better. I like the time where it's just me and the dog and the sound of my footsteps. I run in the morning so I don't run into too many people. just the guy delivering the papers
  • saylorkw
    saylorkw Posts: 69 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    outside rain or shine. I think the only time I wouldn't is during the times when ice is a factor. not sure what i'll do then. probably pop in a power yoga/cardio yoga dvd

I just started it and doing it. I still don't like, but I love that I'm doing something hard and getting better. I like the time where it's just me and the dog and the sound of my footsteps. I run in the morning so I don't run into too many people. just the guy delivering the papers

i think LOVE is a strong word, I hope I can learn to love it. I use the treadmill at a local fitness center and recently alternate on the stepper if it's raining. On sunny days I WALK at a local high school track in the evenings, after work. I have only been doing this sine March so i am trying to work up to LOVE, right now it's still a chore!
  • jessicatombari
    jessicatombari Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    OUTSIDE!! I'm not sure how you learn to "like" to run, good music maybe?? I mean I just always have liked running and I love going out for runs, pain doesn't stop me. Dont force yourself to do something you hate especially when it comes to exercise, find an alternative if you have to
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Elliptical every morning at 5:00 watching videos and jumping off on occasion as breakfast and lunch cooks.

Gym after work.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    saylorkw wrote: »
    moyer566 wrote: »

i think LOVE is a strong word, I hope I can learn to love it. I use the treadmill at a local fitness center and recently alternate on the stepper if it's raining. On sunny days I WALK at a local high school track in the evenings, after work. I have only been doing this sine March so i am trying to work up to LOVE, right now it's still a chore!

love comes with time, but love has happened for me. probably cause I can already see improvement in less than a month. and I realize it is something I can do and it is something I can be good at
    If I don't run, giving knees and tendons and irritable lungs a rest, I miss it. even a speedy walk doesn't cut it for me. It's become part of me and my daily routine
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Outside. The only reason I can think of to run inside is icy conditions. I find a treadmill uncomfortable. No way I could do my long runs on one.
    That's what Runners Ice Cleats are for.

Outside unless there's an ice storm.....there is no bad weather, just inappropriate clothing! B)
    Rain, snow, wind doesn't matter I love the outdoors.
  • Glossberg
    Glossberg Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Typically I prefer running outside over the treadmill. However, it ultimately depends on the weather outside, what I want to accomplish for the day, and how
    my body feels.
  • Glossberg
    edited June 2015
    Options
    ----

• Glossberg
    edited June 2015
    Options
    For your second question I personally have taken my time to get where I am now and am still not rushing anything. I started all runs on a treadmill the first few months and build up my distance/time running slower than most training regiments you see online.

It's something I want to do the rest of my life like when I lost all my weight. There is no rush so take your time and don't push yourself to hard or you can get burnt out or injured.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    none of the above...

I like cycling...outside. I only do cardio indoors in the winter and only if the weather is horrible...like really, really bad. At that point I just suck it up because it doesn't matter which machine I'm using...they all suck *kitten* and are boring as *kitten*.
    Ok, thanks for all of the comments. So can i ask another question in this thread or should I start another? How do you get to the point that you actually LIKE to run. I have tried running. I ran cross country in High school and hated every second of it. If it starts to hurt (chest, back, knees, ankles) i quit. Thought?

in my experience, people are runners or they're not. my wife is a runner...she's always enjoyed running...she loves it...she's like Forest Gump with her running. I tried to force the issue for months when I was first getting back into fitness with this same mindset..."someday I will grow to love this." I never did..running sucks *kitten*...but while I was running I decided to train for a triathlon which meant I had to dust off my bike...found my passion and never looked back.

Now if you see me running, you better run...because some bad *kitten* is about to go down...but I can ride and ride and ride...and then ride some more.
  • saylorkw
    saylorkw Posts: 69 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I have found recently that I enjoy cycling much better than walking or running. Although I do have to find a comfortable seat!!! I pulled out an old cheap bike, that I had in my shed, June 8th and have logged 43 miles. Not doing any marathons but hey it's a start, about 5 miles a day.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    I have found recently that I enjoy cycling much better than walking or running. Although I do have to find a comfortable seat!!! I pulled out an old cheap bike, that I had in my shed, June 8th and have logged 43 miles. Not doing any marathons but hey it's a start, about 5 miles a day.

I'm torn between running and cycling - I enjoy both and would find it difficult to give up either (one of the reasons I do duathlons)

Give your "sit bones" a chance to get used to riding again and check your bike fit (all sorts of resources on the web) as it can affect both mechanical efficiency and comfort......hard to go for a long ride if you're uncomfortable. You may also want to consider padded biking shorts, your derriere will thank you. (They're available as the spandex road bike type or looser fitting MTB shorts depending on your preference)

• mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Which do you prefer? Treadmill, stepper or running outside?

Running outside hands down no question. Trail running preferred, but I'll run anywhere outside. Day or night, all months all weather except when side walks or trails are ice covered (a rarity here).
    How do you get to the point that you actually LIKE to run.

Most enjoy a sport more when they are better at it, right?

@saylorkw You get to that point by training smart. Often as not that means slowing down and taking a gradual approach.

While there are some very natural born runners out there, I disagree with the notion that people must be born or built to run in order to build proficiency and love of the sport.

The forums here on MFP categorically disprove that notion. Read through the vast number of Fitness threads here and you'll discover hundreds if not thousands of new runners each year created by their own efforts, many of whom started as very heavy people, often having no running or athleticism in their background.

Don't use your high school experience as a yardstick. I sure wouldn't use mine (and I liked it). My school coaches were more track oriented not distance and their coaching experience for endurance sports was lacking. Maybe yours were better.

You mentioned pains - assuming your chest issue was breathing, cardiopulmonary efficiency related - this is one area where running will deliver to you amazing improvements to your cardiopulmonary system that will benefit you elsewhere. Building that capacity doesn't have to be painful. Running slower but longer, at a pace where you can still carry on something of a conversation, will do that. No pain, real gains over time.

Back, knees, ankles - you'll need to look at all these things individually. Assuming your joints are otherwise healthy, chances are some strength training and running (again the slower but longer approach) will set you up right.

In the end you don't need to run - there are tons of other ways to get some fun cardio exercise in, but it is a very efficient and low-cost exercise that many find fun and can even be social too (join a running group).
  • goingtobefit2015
    goingtobefit2015 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Outside
  • goingtobefit2015
    goingtobefit2015 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Outside