Cigarette/smoking debate

Options
fitness_derek
fitness_derek Posts: 31 Member
Hey all,

New here and wondering where you all stand on the smoking debate. Okay, not okay, unhealthy or not that bad, etc. And how many packs do you smoke a week? Excited to be a part of this community!

-D

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I think tobacco products should be illegal. That should tell you where I land on the debate.
  • belleamore1234
    belleamore1234 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I enjoy a smoke
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    cigarette smoking has pretty well be proven to be pretty damned bad for you...don't think there's much debate anymore.

I used to be a 2-3 PAD smoker but I quite almost 3 years ago. I still do smoke cigars, but it's not really the same thing...I'm not walking around smoking cigars all day long. I have one on my patio some evenings and that's it.

as a matter of perspective, having a smoke now and then probably isn't a big deal, but plowing through packs per day or week is going to be pretty detrimental on your health ultimately.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    I personally run about 14 to 15 packs a week but honestly dont no of any health concerns feel great. Most of my friends smoke even more & they are more fit than i am!! Thats one reason why im not convinced their unhealthy

I felt great in my 20s too...come talk to me after you've smoked for 20 years...you're just a kid.
  • belleamore1234
    Options
    I am a smoker and even im not that naive Derek are you for real? Do you know the internal damage it does to every fibre of your being
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    I personally run about 14 to 15 packs a week but honestly dont no of any health concerns feel great. Most of my friends smoke even more & they are more fit than i am!! Thats one reason why im not convinced their unhealthy

You're not very good at this.
  • belleamore1234
    Options

You're not very good at this.

Indeed lol
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    I am a smoker and even im not that naive Derek are you for real? Do you know the internal damage it does to every fibre of your being

4-Point-Break-quotes.gif

I was too when I was 20...
  • amykay9377
    amykay9377 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

New here and wondering where you all stand on the smoking debate. Okay, not okay, unhealthy or not that bad, etc. And how many packs do you smoke a week? Excited to be a part of this community!

-D

Not healthy at all, not even one here and there. I started smoking when I wasn't even a teenager, stealing smokes from my grandmother. I was never a heavy smoker - I topped out at a pack a day - but I smoked for almost 20 years. I quit 8 years ago, but I still feel the effects of it.

As for okay or not, I'd say Not Okay, but not to the point of illegality. I think it should be regulated more as a Public Nuisance. For instance, outside my office is a sign that says No Smoking Within 50 Feet of the Door. People still smoke in front of the door. Should they go to jail? No. Should they be fined for disobeying a Municipal Order? Yes.

There should be more Designated Smoking Areas in heavily populated areas. It is hard to walk to work when I'm stuck behind a smoker. It irritates me even more at Disney World (I love Disney!). There ARE designated areas, but due to the heavy presence of foreign tourists, many of them can't (or won't, but don't get me started..) read the signs and they just light up in the queue for Big Thunder! If Cast Members really began enforcing DSA's, it would be very helpful.

Someone else here said it should be illegal, and I disagree. Sure, it's bad for your health, but so it bungee jumping, skydiving and Publix cake. None of those are illegal.

(And you can pry that Publix cake from my cold, dead hands).

• YanskaNY
    YanskaNY Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    The human body suffers enough damage even when we try to do the "right" things, so I'd never set myself back by smoking cigarettes. I respect others' right to smoke, but if their smoke gets in my face we'll have a problem.
  • belleamore1234
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

4-Point-Break-quotes.gif

I was too when I was 20...

• _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    My great gramps smoked for 65 years and is still kicking strong, he's be 96 this august whats your point? I didnt come here to be harassed just wanted a fair & balanced discussion not a very open mind community i see

You learned quicker than most. Leave while you can/
  • belleamore1234
    Options
    My great gramps smoked for 65 years and is still kicking strong, he's be 96 this august whats your point? I didnt come here to be harassed just wanted a fair & balanced discussion not a very open mind community i see

There isn't much fair or balanced about smoking - it kills (case closed)
  • belleamore1234
    Options

And what's balanced about telling people that smoking won't kill them because it didn't kill your grandad lol it's like your promoting smoking and im a smoker!
  • belleamore1234
    Options

There isn't much fair or balanced about smoking - it kills (case closed)

You can say that and I know its "common knowledge" but honestly if you really look into it the research is pretty limited and definitely not conclusive my gramps would be the first to tell you that. Anyways to change the topic what do you guys like to do for fun

You legitimately believe that the research into smoking related diseases is 'limited' wow
  • kelly29414
    kelly29414 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My dad smoked for 55 years and died of lung cancer at the age of 72. So, yeah. Pretty unhealthy.
This discussion has been closed.