Cigarette/smoking debate

Options

Replies

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    There's no debate. Smoking cigarettes negatively affects your health. Period. There's no argument to be made. You show me a 100-year-old guy that smokes two packs a day and is still going strong with no health issues and I'll show you a hundred snokers that are suffering from things like lung cancer, mouth cancer, stomach cancer, emphysema, heart disease, strokes, etc. One healthy person that smokes does not mean smoking is suddenly not unhealthy. There's absolutely nothing "limited" about the research, so get your head out of the sand. It's a well-established fact that smoking is harmful. It's your choice if you want to smoke, but you're not helping yourself by being in such denial about what it's doing to your body.

Thank you for your input but its defensive tone undermines the points your attempting to make, just constructive critisism like you gave me :)
    Tone trolling, really? Can you actually address her argument?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    salembambi wrote: »
    legalize marijuana
    smoking cigarettes is gross

I will say I am against smoking marijuana, I could definitely see the health risks there. A much "newer breed" of crop, not as much is known about it vs tobacco crops with many uses

Friday right? Yup the troll is strong in this one.

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    There's no debate. Smoking cigarettes negatively affects your health. Period. There's no argument to be made. You show me a 100-year-old guy that smokes two packs a day and is still going strong with no health issues and I'll show you a hundred snokers that are suffering from things like lung cancer, mouth cancer, stomach cancer, emphysema, heart disease, strokes, etc. One healthy person that smokes does not mean smoking is suddenly not unhealthy. There's absolutely nothing "limited" about the research, so get your head out of the sand. It's a well-established fact that smoking is harmful. It's your choice if you want to smoke, but you're not helping yourself by being in such denial about what it's doing to your body.

Thank you for your input but its defensive tone undermines the points your attempting to make, just constructive critisism like you gave me :)

It isn't defensive at all. She is being quite blunt and forthright.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Cigarettes make people ill and kill them. I lost my father and both in-laws to smoking. I've never experienced anything so awful as watching the pain my mother-in-law endured in her last days. It was so bad that we didn't didn't let our daughters see her because she no longer recognized anyone and could not communicate and we worried that our girls would have been scarred for life. We didn't want that to be their memories of their beloved nana. Years ago, people didn't know the dangers and addictive nature of smoking. Today, we know the dangers not only to the smoker but also to those they live with. We are free to make decisions about our own bodies but they not only effect us but others. And see these cuties in my profile picture - only my mom has had the joy of watching her grandchildren grow up, get married, and have children of their own. My father has five wonderful great-grandchildren he never got to meet and my in-laws have missed out on joys of having eight great-grandchildren with another one due next month. It's a real shame.
  • senecarr
    Options
    @fitness_derek
    How about you put your money where your cigarrette mouth is. Make an agreement in here with someone - you each will put each other as the beneficiary on your will. So obviously, the one that lives longer gets all the other's stuff, and can change their will after. Just make sure you continue to smoke at the same or a higher rate than you do now.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    legalize marijuana

I will say I am against smoking marijuana, I could definitely see the health risks there. A much "newer breed" of crop, not as much is known about it vs tobacco crops with many uses

Okay, now I'm definitely sure you're a troll.
    FYI, marijuana has been used since ancient times, and was used in ancient Chinese medicine. It's far older than tobacco - though I am not advocating its use, obviously.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Destroys your immune system, increased risk for cancer all overy your body, smells like crap, stains your teeth (so what do you think your insides look like that tar doesn't stop in your mouth), negatively effects fertility...I could go on and others have cited these and other reasons not to smoke. I smoked lightly until about aged 28 (less than a pack a week most of the time, mostly social) and quitting is probably the best health decision I ever made. I honestly with I had never started!
  • senecarr
    Options
    legalize marijuana

FYI, marijuana has been used since ancient times, and was used in ancient Chinese medicine. It's far older than tobacco.
    I wouldn't go that route for making a safety claim. Chinese medicine also prescribed mercury and lead at times as treatments, I wouldn't appeal to ancient traditions. Also, Native Americans used tobacco for a long time too.
    That said, there's plenty of modern studies that say smoking marijuana is probably no worse than smoking tobacco, and generally users of marijuana tend to smoke less.
  • MarziPanda95
    Options
    I like that some of you are against smoking and others are making some good points saying its not unhealthy, great discourse we have!

That is one of the reasons I joined the gym I did is since its outdoors. Outdoor gyms provide MUCH more fledivility, more room, fresh mountain air, and hey if you want to light up on the tredmill to get your heart rate up, by all means. Very glad we have the freedom of choice in this beatiful country of ours

My god, I'd never go to a gym where someone was allowed to smoke - indoors or out. How irresponsible.
  • KombuchaCat
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I feel like if you smoke and bike or run on the tredmill it cancels out so to speak...you will sweat out the toxins and oxygens to inhale fresh clean (sometimes stinky LOL) gym air. Thoughts? Or am I off the wagon this time haha

As a general rule it takes your body about 10 years to completely replace it's tissue. The effects of smoking permeat all body tissue and therefor would take about 10 years to completely be removed. And that's assuming it has not done any permament damage that would not just be replicated at a cellular level as your body regenerates...The sooner you quit the better than, eh?
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Gross.
  • MarziPanda95
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    legalize marijuana

FYI, marijuana has been used since ancient times, and was used in ancient Chinese medicine. It's far older than tobacco.
    I wouldn't go that route for making a safety claim. Chinese medicine also prescribed mercury and lead at times as treatments, I wouldn't appeal to ancient traditions. Also, Native Americans used tobacco for a long time too.
    That said, there's plenty of modern studies that say smoking marijuana is probably no worse than smoking tobacco, and generally users of marijuana tend to smoke less.

Ahh I know, I know, I wasn't making a safety claim and I don't personally think it should be legalised. I was only pointing out that he was wrong about it being a 'newer' crop than tobacco, when it's actually the opposite. I'm a history buff :smile:
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    legalize marijuana

Native Americans may have used tobacco, but they didn't smoke commercial cigarettes. It's not just the tobacco, it's the hundreds of other chemicals that have been added - fun things like formaldehyde, tar, ammonia. etc. If people actually took dried tobacco and rolled their own cigarettes, while still not healthy, would be better for you than a pack of Marlboros. You'd probably also smoke less because rolling your own takes some effort.
  • KombuchaCat
    Options
    legalize marijuana

Anything that is burned is a carcinogen, thus marajuana smoke is damaging as well.
This discussion has been closed.