Phentermine experiences?

Options

Replies

• kwilson2190
    kwilson2190 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm currently using phentermine at the moment , iv been on it for 7 days , whilst also sticking to a calorie controlled diet and logging all my foods . My doctor prescribed it to me to help me get into routine of eating smaller portions and healthier meals as it does curb ur hunger and appetite so things such as a salad satisfy you rather than still searching for something more .

I have had no side effects other than a serious thirst quench iv been drinking 2x 1.5ltr bottles a day as my mouth is dry , a little more energy than usual and not feeling peckish all the time .

I have lost 3kgs in 7 days with the combination of using MFP and calorie control . Bring on more results !!
    I think using diet pills as such when your doctor has given the all clear to use them to help aid ur weight loss and get you to a healthier you is fine if you ask me , if it gets u into better habits and routine and your body is suitable to use them i think it's great .

That's just me . A lot of people have tryed to scare me out of using them while iv been on them but iv had nothing but great things from them so far!!

All the best to you :)
  • RedDiamond37
    RedDiamond37 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm on phentermine right now, I take half of a 37.5 pill.

Side effects: headaches if I take a whole pill in a day. dry mouth (which is great because I drink lots of water!)

Good News: I've lost 10lbs in 2 weeks, maybe more since I go to the doctor tomorrow. My appetite is under great control and allows me to plan foods and watch what I eat better.

I'm working with a nutritionist to try to get my food properly setup. I don't get all hyper and jumpy like some people have said, I guess because I was a caffeine junky anyway so I don't react the same. I go out and walk now rather than sitting in the house eating all the time.

So overall I love phentermine, it does what it is supposed to do and keeps my appetite tamed.

Good luck to you!
  • laura617
    laura617 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your reviews!
  • sylviaheathotr
    sylviaheathotr Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I started phentermine 37.5 May 7, 2015. I'm 37 years, 5'1 with starting wt of 263. Ridiculous, right? Despite a strong family history of diabetes and having been overwt/obese most my life, I had never been offered any diet pill by my physician. I have been very conscious pf my risk factors for diabetes and despite efforts have continued with wt loss struggles. Today is June 5 and my scale says 244. I hope to get in with Dr's scale next week and discuss the plan. I acknowledge the risks both to my futire health as well as re gaining my wt.
  • serenity1097
    serenity1097 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I took Phentermine a few years ago. Lost about 20 lbs then re-gained about 2x that amount when I went off it. Taking it always made me feel jumpy, like I was on speed. Made my heart race, I was always thristy and had headaches from it. I wouldn't go back on it personally :(
  • MamaOfThree88
    MamaOfThree88 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I am currently on Phentermine, taking 37.5 pill at 10am. I eat a breakfast around 7am and lunch around noon, snacking inbetween even though I take the pill. Just because I don't feel hungry doesn't mean I shouldn't eat. The only reason why my PCP prescribed it was so I wouldn't eat as much as I used to so that my stomach will shrink by month 3. Currently, I am on day 33 and I have lost 24lbs but this is in conjunction with eating Paleo, 1600 calories a day and exercising. If you take Phentermine and don't do anything but sit on your butt and eat ding dongs, then you aren't helping anyone but the pharmaceutical company with your $$. It is not a magic pill. You still have to work.

The only side affects I get is increased energy and for the first week I had major euphoria. Good luck! PM me if you have any questions :)
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Back when it was legal, I took phen-fen (phentermine/fenfluramine combo) and it was the best stuff ever except for that pesky little issue of permanent heart valve damage and death. The phentermine by itself does not seem to have that risk which is why only the fenfluramine was taken off the market.

I'm taking phentermine now. It makes me not very interested in eating even if I still feel hungry so I'm able to eat less. Without it, I am absolutely ravenous all the time. I always have been. I think my "full" sensor is broken. I've spent years weighing and measuring food and eating a healthy diet while being at a healthy weight and not taking any medications. But I'm still always really hungry so I always go back to eating too much. I can only stand the misery for so many years at a time. After my latest weight gain, I just couldn't bear the hunger so I'm taking phen. I'm having slight dry mouth and while I don't feel hyper, I do feel like I've had a couple of cups of caffeinated coffee (jittery/shaky feeling) and it's hard to get to sleep at night. I take half of a 37.5 mg pill although my doctor originally prescribed the full pill. The half works and gives fewer jitters. It is recommended to take it no more than 3 months according to my doctor.

However, if you have been eating 1800 calories for a year, I doubt the phentermine will help. If you've been doing that, you know how to eat healthy. You know how to count calories. Phen won't, by itself, help you lose weight. It'll help control your appetite so you can eat less, but you're already eating less. If you can cut your calories to 1600 or 1400 without an appetite suppressant, I would try that first. If you cut down to that lower amount and you still aren't losing, you should probably investigate your health further. However, if you've been having difficulty sticking to the lower calories because you are hungry, the phen might help.

When my thyroid is not well treated, I can eat literally almost nothing and still either gain or be unable to lose. Those on this board who have never experienced that will tell you it is impossible, and a decade ago I would have agreed with them. But those who have experienced something similar know that it absolutely is possible. By the way, off thyroid meds, my TSH and free T4 are always normal. But my thyroid is covered in nodules, and my TPO Ab, TgAb, and TSI Ab are all in the thousands. My reverse T3 was also off the charts (that's the hormone that makes bears hibernate and can drastically slow your metabolism, too). To this day, I've never had anything but optimal TSH. So maybe talk to a functional medicine doctor about medical reasons you may not be losing weight.

• Peachiko87
    Peachiko87 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I actually got prescribed Phentermine yesterday, and today is the first time I've taken it. Day 1 of 30 days, to be exact. I have been moderately regulating my food intake, and liquids. I cut out sweets, all but a bit of dark chocolate here or there, and don't drink soda at all. I love coffee too much to quit it, but I've gone from 1-2 a day to 1 every once in a while (This cup today is my first in over a week, actually!)-- My doctor told me the Phentermine will basically reteach your body how to eat by suppressing your appetite. It's up to you to fix your own portions, and such. Supposedly it will help you to eat smaller portions, and help your stomach shrink. I think as long as you do your best, you will lose weight. Everyone loses at their own pace. Before I started Phentermine, I had lost 11lbs from 5/23/15 just from changing my eating habits, and walking. I have zero appetite right now, but I know I need to eat SOMETHING, so I had a banana and a tiny bowl of cheerios, spaced out by like 2 hours. >_>; Anyways, you're allowed to do whatever you (AND YOUR DOCTOR) think is best, so I wish you luck!
  • jesikalovesyou
    jesikalovesyou Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Also, my doctor told me NOT to force myself to eat. If I am not hungry, do not eat. She says that too many people get on this medication and "eat through it" and they don't lose any weight because of it. You are teaching your body to eat less, if you eat like you normally do, it will not help.

To be honest, my body is not going to wither away if I don't eat all the time anyways. No one should be on this if they are less than obese too.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I posted this on another thread. I am NOT an advocate of taking a stimulant such as phentermine to lose weight.
    I took it before I knew better. Ate right and lost weight. Also lost some hair and a lot of sleep. Heart palpitations, jitters. My doctor also didn't wean me off of it, so when I came off (due to the elevated blood pressure that the medication caused) I spiraled into a depression-like state. Mood swings were had. I lost 12 lbs on the pill, and gained 20 lbs back during this time.

Needless to say, I'm very happy with eating a balanced diet within my daily calories nowadays, without medication. IMO, it should only be used in extreme circumstances. But we all have to learn our own lessons, I suppose. Good luck on your journey.
  • jesikalovesyou
    jesikalovesyou Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I posted this on another thread. I am NOT an advocate of taking a stimulant such as phentermine to lose weight.
    I took it before I knew better. Ate right and lost weight. Also lost some hair and a lot of sleep. Heart palpitations, jitters. My doctor also didn't wean me off of it, so when I came off (due to the elevated blood pressure that the medication caused) I spiraled into a depression-like state. Mood swings were had. I lost 12 lbs on the pill, and gained 20 lbs back during this time.

Needless to say, I'm very happy with eating a balanced diet within my daily calories nowadays, without medication. IMO, it should only be used in extreme circumstances. But we all have to learn our own lessons, I suppose. Good luck on your journey.

I agree, if it affects you like this, don't take it. My mom took fen-phen when it was big and then she started doing Crystal Meth.

That being said, I have been taking phentermine off an on for a few months and it does not affect me in any way like speed.

If your body reacts like mine, I highly recommend it! You can sleep AMAZING at night and only have dry mouth. If you start feeling jittery or having heart palpitations and insomnia, don't take it.
  • StefannyFlorez
    StefannyFlorez Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    laura617 wrote: »
    That really is one of my top concerns. Gaining back.
    This is just personal experience, I don't mean to scare you.
    I started on penthermine back in 2007, I lost 25lb in 4 months I stopped it because I was getting lots of headaches and the insomnia was interfering with school work. After having my son in 2009, I gained 40lb, I went back on Penthermine, lost 45lb in 9 months. While in Penthermine for the second time I did not have insomnia, however, I took it all 9 months with out pausing every 3months as recommended, I got addicted, I could not function with out them, I would be in physical and emotional pain if I left for work with out it. My whole body ached, few months in, I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety , I would get panic attacks at school (since it raises your heart rate) during exams or stressful assignments, I would completely shut down. I tried quitting after I was prescribed depression drugs and the withdrawal was brutal. I was a zombie. I kept the weight off for about 3 months. Then the depression drugs made me gain 10lb, then I had surgery and I was a month at home immobile but eating " normal" I gained another 10lb, then, I went on birth control and gained another 25lb. I got all my weight back and some and my body fat distribution was all over the place specially in the middle section. About a month after quitting phentermine my depression and anxiety symptoms stopped. I had a tubal ligation and I and loosing 2lb/ steadily with healthy eating and exercise along with the help of Myfitnesspal. Once again, don't mean to scare you but it's always good to know the potential side effects. ( did I mentioned my libido was almost nonexistent while on Penthermine)
  • ImitatetheSun
    ImitatetheSun Posts: 44 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I tried it about 15 years ago and it had literally no effect on me. I didn't feel any reduction in hunger and I didn't lose an ounce. This year, I've given up artificial sweeteners, diet sodas, empty starches, and foods with added sugar (like canned soup and flavored yogurts) and I've had the kind of reduction in appetite that I wanted to get from the pills all those years ago. I did it gradually, eliminating one thing at a time to give my taste buds time to adjust, and then only started losing weight when I cut my overall calories after I'd eliminated everything. But I'm not hungry and I have tons of energy. I hope the pills work for you, but if not, you could try to reduce your appetite by eliminating triggers, instead.
  • laura617
    laura617 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank all of you for your feedback. After everything I decided to keep on it for the month and see how I'm doing then. So this is day 4 and I have lost weight but I assume it's probably water weight. I get a little energy boost but don't feel like I'm jittery or on speed or anything like that. Thirst is really there and it's making it much easier to follow an even more restricted diet with the appetite suppressant.
  • mhollencamp102012
    mhollencamp102012 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I am currently taking phentermine prescribed by my Dr. I have lost 18 lbs in this past month. I love being on the med right now because it helps me control binge eating and making bad choices. Hopefully when I come off the pills I will have learned what to eat and what not to eat and portion control. As long as your Dr approves and you are using as directed I see nothing wrong with using these meds as a tool to help you learn portion control and making good choices...the hard part is managing to keep it up when you come off them....
  • tiffanyslimdown
    tiffanyslimdown Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm currently taking Phen 37.5 with LipoB12 shots and its working for me BECAUSE I'm working with it. Make sure I get my cardio exercise in and walk 2 miles in the evening briskly. My first 3weeks I lost 18lbs. Got bit by a spider and was hospitalized & off Phen for a month. Back on it now w/lipoB12 shots. Started @ 419lbs I'm 384.2 now & plan to lose 50lbs by November. My next weigh in will be Monday. No side effects other than dry mouth & just can't make myself eat 1000 calories.
  • tiffanyslimdown
    tiffanyslimdown Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    With you only being down 10lbs in 6 months...... Is definitely an issue & while taking Phen... Hmmm. Are you off it now? Did you work with it?
  • busymomwithboys
    busymomwithboys Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I had a great experience. With phentermine. I had lost 40 lbs prior to starting after coming to a stand still with my journey. What it did for me was teach mehow much i really should be eating.. And helped give me the energy physically and emotionally to keep moving when i didnt think i could.I also felt amazing on it which is something ive been struggling with since having my gallbladder removed at 20 weeks preg with #4. I was on it for 3 months and lost 25 lbs in that time a bit over a year ago. I miss it...total weight loss so far in 2.5 yrs is 102lbs ive been stuck in plateau for about 6 months now. Trying to fit in more excerise with my crazy schedule which has been nearly impossible.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    i am on a medical supervised diet
    almost 100 pounds lost in almost 9 months ( 23th of June it will be 9 months)

and its simple..i weigh EVERYTHING. So no cups spoons or serving sizes....i weigh
    And i log!
    i had medication ( which i could stop after some time) I had major health issue which are minimized or even gone.
    I started out with 1200 calories and now i am on 1400 ( it goes slowly up till i am at maintenance level)
    I am not hungry, feeling perfect, i exercise again because i can :)
    And feel energetic and great.

simple