Recomposition: Maintaining weight while losing fat

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited June 2015
    draznyth wrote: »

yeah it usually tasted like *kitten* in the past though, but maybe I'll luck out

Maybe a blend with it in there then?

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member

yeah it usually tasted like *kitten* in the past though, but maybe I'll luck out

I think I went with snorting it for the last 10 scoops or so.
  • PeachyCarol
    senecarr wrote: »

CASEIN IS ADDICTIVE!!!!!!!!

• senecarr
    senecarr wrote: »

CASEIN IS ADDICTIVE!!!!!!!!

No, just the little bit of sugar they put in with it.
  • HAS415
    HAS415 Posts: 48 Member
    WOW! This is all new to me. I am in recovery from an eating disorder but when I get to the goal my trainer has set or me and am allowed back in the gym/running on the boardwalk I will have to ask him about this. I lost abou 135 lbs since April 2013. Gained some back on the advice of my trainer. I'm5' 10" and got down to about 143 last summer and was constantly told I looked horrible. I'm going on the advice of my trainer who saved my life. So what he says go but this sounds like something I need. Mainly for my legs. I have such horrible flab. I can live with the rest of my body the way it is pretty much....but my legs UGH!! :( I will have to ask him about this.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    lol *kitten* betta just GOMAD
  • HAS415
    GOMAD?
  • HAS415
    What is casein? Isn't that the stuff in like jalapenos that make them spicy? Hey do they sell that in pill form because I hear that hot stuff speeds up your metabolism and I can't really have much of that because of my ulcers.
  • PeachyCarol

OMG. I remember reading that on the Stronglifts site and my stomach churned at the thought. How many calories is that?

HAS415, GOMAD is gallon of milk a day.

• HAS415
    OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! YUCK! I only drink milk in my coffee. And I can't even drink much of that with my ulcer. Supposed to have none but some days I need it for work. A gallon?? I don't drink that in 2 months!!
  • HAS415
    However, that being said, if it weren't for my ulcer, I could drink a couple gallons of coffee a day! :)
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    @leahgoldgirl I was just speculating that a woman's lesser ability to build muscle might equate to slightly lower protein requirements in order to support muscle building.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member

When I was pregnant with my first I drank 3 gallons of milk per week. I might be able to drink one gallon a day for a week or so.
  • senecarr
    HAS415 wrote: »
    What is casein? Isn't that the stuff in like jalapenos that make them spicy? Hey do they sell that in pill form because I hear that hot stuff speeds up your metabolism and I can't really have much of that because of my ulcers.
    The spice in jalapenos is capsaicin.
    Casein is a type of milk derived protein product, often available as protein powder.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Hadabetter wrote: »
    @leahgoldgirl I was just speculating that a woman's lesser ability to build muscle might equate to slightly lower protein requirements in order to support muscle building.

No, our struggle in building muscle comes from hormones and the size of muscle fibers. Men need more protein (by grams) than women because they tend to burn more calories and have more lean mass. Men and women's needs compared to their lean mass are the same.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    @sistrsprkl Adequate protein is important, but there is debate about what is adequate. I did mine on 0.7 g/lb which many sports nutritionists recommend. I don't know how gender impacts that but one would think that a woman would require less than a man. I think of more concern for you would be to ensure you are eating complete and or complimentary proteins. (If you're an ovo-lacto vegetarian, then you shouldn't have a problem.)

At the risk of being a douche and name dropping, I actually discussed the specific question of protein and women with Eric Helms (yes, appeal to authority, but I am not aware of any studies that have been done specifically on women) - he indicated that there was no reason to alter the protein recommendations. Protein is not only used for muscle. One thing that is possibly a greater factor than gender is age.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    And when your body needs protein it looks first for amino acids circulating in the blood stream. Failing that, it will get the protein it needs to maintain/repair your vital organs from your existing muscle mass. This will kill any efforts at body recomp. So your protein intake should be spread throughout the day in 3-4 roughly equal doses to ensure that you always have those amino acids available to your body.

For this reason body recomposition is not compatible with intermittent fasting.

The reason to have 3 - 4 'doses' is not about having amino acids available - its about getting bolus's to maximize MPS.
  • senecarr
    Actually, the protein needs of women could, in fact, be higher on a per pound LBM basis:
    Higher muscle protein synthesis in women than men across the lifespan, and failure of androgen administration to amend age-related decrements
    http://www.fasebj.org/content/23/2/631?ijkey=61cab85d37cad7f234aaaa9d66139b71d586b8f0&keytype2=tf_ipsecsha
    Whole-body protein synthesis per fat-free mass and muscle protein fractional synthesis rate (FSR) were lower in elderly than in young individuals (P<0.001), not significantly affected by hormone treatments, and higher in women than in men (P<0.0001), with no sex × age interaction.
  • senecarr
    At least that's some, actual science.
    But heck, let's assume protein is male stuff like truck toys, the color blue, and repressing feelings.