What foods have no carbs and sugar?

Options
L0vAnj
L0vAnj Posts: 45 Member
Its hard to stick to a low carbs and low sugar diet when your on a budget, so I need help trying to figure out something that has no carbs and sugar. Any suggestions?

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    LOvAnj well to MFP. I have found the following MFP group to be very good with questions like you are asking.

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I agree low carb food is not cheap like many carb based food. For some of us diabetes, stroke, cancer, Alzheimer's, heart attacks, etc are very expensive too. When I was young and without health problems eating was much cheaper for sure (at the time).
  • melissalatzel25
    melissalatzel25 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    eat natural plant based and these problems won't exist and you'll never have to restrict carbs, carbs are everything i wish more people knew this :(
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    There aren't many inexpensive low carb foods. Eggs, I guess? Canned tuna when it's on sale?

If you want to follow a low carb plan, that's your choice, but know you don't need to just to lose weight. As long as your calorie intake is at or below the target MFP set for you (and you are accurately counting), you can lose weight without restricting carbs. The reason so many diets recommend low carb is that it often causes dieters to consume fewer calories, and that's where the weight loss actually comes from.

If budget is an issue, I'd recommend at least considering a higher carb diet, using MFP's default macronutrient ratios. Bulk rice and beans are about the cheapest food on the planet, and very nutritious too. A cup of pinto beans and a cup of brown rice will give you 20 grams of protein and plenty of fibre and micronutrients, and if you buy them in bulk, can cost less than 50 cents a serving.

Sorry, I know I didn't really answer your question, I just think a low carb diet on a budget is going to be a lot more effort than you really need to lose weight. (If you are doing low carb for some other reason, just disregard everything I said, lol.)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    L0vAnj wrote: »
    Its hard to stick to a low carbs and low sugar diet when your on a budget, so I need help trying to figure out something that has no carbs and sugar. Any suggestions?

Buy whole chickens or chicken dark meat like legs and thighs. Buy hamburger meat. Also eggs.
    Lots and lots of greens.
  • swift13b
    swift13b Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    eat natural plant based and these problems won't exist and you'll never have to restrict carbs, carbs are everything i wish more people knew this :(

Some people restrict carbs and sugar for medical reasons... ie. diabetics and those with insulin resistance.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »

Buy whole chickens or chicken dark meat like legs and thighs. Buy hamburger meat. Also eggs.
    Lots and lots of greens.

Greens and eggs don't contain carbs or sugar? That is what the OP asked
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    As Acg67 said, sorry folks. Greens and eggs have carbs. Greens have sugar too.

The only food without carbs or sugar is meat.

I thought it was Saturday. Where were all of you yesterday?
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options

In my defence, I stopped eating eggs before I started using MFP, and I got duped by the 1st entry that came up for egg: "egg, whole, cooked, fried", which states 0 carbs and has 13 confirmations.

Now I know.
  • MiltonAFC
    MiltonAFC Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Ground beef, Turkey, and chicken.
    Bacon
    Eggs
    Egg substitute
    Seafood
    Chicken
    Ham
    Mozzarella cheese

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Cardboard.
  • MiltonAFC
    MiltonAFC Posts: 121 Member
    Options

Oh please. What kind of eggs are you buying? Eggs are a staple for people on ketosis diets.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    MiltonAFC wrote: »

Oh please. What kind of eggs are you buying? Eggs are a staple for people on ketosis diets.

The ones that don't have "no carbs". Which is all of them.

26a90be433c8782c828b066554aa81e4.png
  • energy423
    energy423 Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Veggies, fruits, nuts, legumes, some yogurts, chicken & fish, fruits (natural sugar & carbs)
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Lard
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    energy423 wrote: »

Veggies, fruits, nuts, legumes, some yogurts, chicken & fish, fruits (natural sugar & carbs)

No carbs? What?