Are you confident that you are able to reach your weight loss goals and maintain it?

Seigla
Seigla Posts: 172 Member
edited June 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Are you?

What is the basis of your confidence and what is the basis of your doubt? For example, is your confidence (or doubt) based on solid evidence or are you fooling yourself?

What would help you to become more confident that you will reach your goals?

I'm interested in having an open conversation about this, because I think self efficacy is very important, yet it is mysterious to me where it comes from, why I am confident that I can be successful in some areas and not at all confident in others. I think knowing how to grow self efficacy is an important ingredient for long term success. I'm not here to judge, but to learn from you.

Replies

• Krystle1984
    Krystle1984 Posts: 146 Member
    I'm confident because I have done it before. My maintenance was derailed this past 18 months due to illness, but I know I can get the extra pounds off and maintain a healthy weight again. :)
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Yes. I am about a pound and a half from meeting my initial weight loss goal of 112.4 pounds.

My confidence is based on the solid evidence of my meeting goals that require time and dedication in other areas.
  • Nicshtik
    Nicshtik Posts: 36 Member
    I would like to say that I am. But, I am not sure.
    I am confident that if I can stay motivated, and keep doing what I am doing, I can lose the weight. And if I can do that, it will stay off too.
    But, its really hard. Its hard because my family isn't working towards the same goal. Its hard because I have drastically reduced intake of some of my favorite foods (breads-which are high simple carbohydrates and useless when on restricted calories) and am working hard to learn moderation on others (I had tiramisu the other night, just not 3 helpings). Its hard because I have to think about what I am eating. Its hard because (at least for now) I am taking medication to learn to associate unhealthy, fatty, low nutrient density foods with feeling like crud.
    But - if I keep on keeping on, Yes. I can do this.
  • MK24551
    MK24551 Posts: 174 Member
    I'd like to say yes. But I've been sick for the last wk n a half n I can't work out or walk n I've been eating a little more to help move this sickness along. So I feel defeated n like a failure, before I was so proud of myself n making better choices now all I want to do is get better. It's hard!
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited June 2015
    Yep, totally confident :)

What is the basis of your confidence For example, is your confidence based on solid evidence? Yes, based on solid evidence. Since 2012 I've lost almost 60lbs and have been maintaining that loss for around 2 years now.

Current Stats:
    -maintenance range: 120lbs-125lbs (started at 178ish)
    -bmi range: 19.4-20.2
    -bf% around 22 percent
    -size 4 jeans (started in size 14)

BLOOD PANEL RESULTS 5/19/15

-Fasting glucose number: 86
    *in 2012 my glucose number was in the pre-diabetic range

-Total cholesterol: 150

-HDL cholesterol: 58

-Triglycerides: 49

-LDL cholesterol: 82

-Coronary Heart Disease Risk 2.6 (less than 4.4 is recommended)
    What would help you to become more confident that you will reach your goals?

I've gone from being overweight and a pre-diabetic, to being a healthy weight and in the best health of my life, by every marker my doctor goes by. I've been maintaining easily, following the simple truth of CICO and eating at the appropriate calorie level for my goals. I eat all the foods that I enjoy, I haven't cut out anything that I like and I'm doing this in a way that's sustainable for me, for the rest of my life. I'm part of the small percentage of people that are succeeding at this, and I Will continue to be a part of that.

• BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    oh yes i am.

I think it is different for each person. Has to do with how you stand in life and your character.

I am a very determent person, stubborn, consistent, realistic, possitive, loyal, a go getter, and independent some of the aspects of my character that "helps" me reach my goals.
    I dont give up very easily as long as there is a sensible reason to do or reach a goal. It will have its ups and downs but i accept that...all part of the journey.

so losing weight fits in my mind as a wise thing to do with a good goal, so i will get there. ( like before and maintained more than 20 years before i got injured and packed on some weight lol)

My own motto and quote is

" I have and there are no excuses to not lose this weight"
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Yep, been seeing the improvements for the last 3 yrs. Just building on ongoing success. Plus for me it isn't completely about weight loss, but doing things, ability to excel, weight loss is but one tool.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    I used to be, but now I'm not so sure. I've gone from 211lbs to 152lbs with a goal of 140lbs at 5'7. Recently it's been really hard to get the weight off though. I've been going up and down 152lbs to 153lbs for two months now, but I know it's probably because I had a few high calorie days in a row and likely went way over maintenance. It's still been a knock to my confidence. I think I'll be back to thinking I can do it when I finally drop to 151.
  • MikeLeTwigg
    MikeLeTwigg Posts: 162 Member
    Yep, no doubt, I got this
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Not confident at all about maintaining lol I'm at goal weight and weight loss mode has been comfortable for me...I'm familiar with it. How do I transition to maintenance without blowing it or losing too much????? I have no clue where to go from here lol
  • ReniaLove
    ReniaLove Posts: 7 Member
    I'm confident I can lose the weight since I've done it before, and I honestly think that maintaining is harder than losing. But I think I can do it this time since I know what to avoid, fingers crossed!
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    I'm confident because I have done it before. My maintenance was derailed this past 18 months due to illness, but I know I can get the extra pounds off and maintain a healthy weight again. :)

This almost exactly, just a little longer derailment.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    I am confident that I can greatly lower my weight and increase my fitness and strength and maintain my loss.

I am not confident that I'll be able to get my weight down as low as I'd like to because I'm not sure that the numbers will work in my favor. They might eventually, but it will take a very long time. I still have 47 pounds to lose (if not more) and I'm already at 1200 calories.

Being short and older isn't fun. I will be happy with improving greatly upon where I started, though, and not being confident won't stop me from trying.
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    I am confident that I can greatly lower my weight and increase my fitness and strength and maintain my loss.

I am not confident that I'll be able to get my weight down as low as I'd like to ...
    Same here. I know the weight I was happy at, but I am older now, so I am not sure if I can get to that weight. I am trying hard though :)
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member

I am not confident that I'll be able to get my weight down as low as I'd like
    to because I'm not sure that the numbers will work in my favor. They might eventually, but it will take a very long time. I still have 47 pounds to lose (if not more) and I'm already at 1200 calories.

Being short and older isn't fun. I will be happy with improving greatly upon where I started, though, and not being confident won't stop me from trying.

That brings up the question about weight loss goals, and whether success or failure has more to do with how the goal is defined than one's ability to meet it. I have a number plugged in to MFP because it asks for one, but I don't really count it as a goal, since my legs make it pretty much impossible to aim for any given number at all. IMO, hitting all the points in that first bolded sentence is a lot more meaningful than hitting some arbitrary number on the scale.
  • Kman4evah
    Kman4evah Posts: 67 Member
    I'm 95% confident in reaching my goal. I used to be fit at one point a few years ago, so I know I can be that fit again. The only thing that could push me to 100% is more money so I could afford to buy good food, but then again who couldn't use more money? :tongue:
  • raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    I am now, since I quit trying to restrict and started applying CICO and moderation. I've already noticed a difference, but I've still got about 50 lbs to go before I'm at goal. I'm currently 195.2 lbs, 5'2", and my goal is 140 lbs. I know I'll get there, but I also know it won't be overnight either.
  • yasminbower1991
    yasminbower1991 Posts: 63 Member
    Honestly... no.

I would love to be but i struggle to maintain once i hit 112 (my goal weight which i have been before and obviously not maintained)

Heaviest 182

Current weight 127
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    edited June 2015
    I am confident and determined That I'll lose a total of 100 lbs. But to get to my goal, (losing another 22 after that) Not so much. Because I've read so much about people having trouble with the last few pounds, and I know that it's because You're on a smaller deficit and there's less room for error. Plus I know that I wont burn as many calories doing the same exercise I'm doing now once I get down that far. I already don't burn as many as I did when I first started.
  • Seigla
    Seigla Posts: 172 Member
    edited June 2015
    Interesting to read all your comments; I see many patterns, as well as many differences in where you get your confidence from.

Here's my own answer:

I am very confident that I will be successful, because:
    • I have already lost 20 kg and have maintained this loss for many months without much effort. I don't force myself to do this, it just feels good (both the process and the results).
    • I have made many changes in my lifestyle (exercising/nutrition) and I continue to do so, as I have learnt over and over again that I can do this and that these little steps give me many benefits. The fact that my lifestyle is now so much more healthy gives me confidence that I will not suddenly gain again. Again these lifestyle changes are not forced on myself, I continue with these habits because I love them.
    • Continuing my weight loss is harder, which I see as normal (I've read it hundreds of time that the last bit of weight loss is the most challenging) . I trust that the recent improvements I've made in my lifestyle (more exercise, healthier diet) will produce results (based on CICO).
    I am not confident that I can get results quickly, but this is not my goal. I am here for the long run and my main method is gradually changing my lifestyle to a healthier one. It may take some time to change my lifestyle enough to reach my goals, but again I have already made so many changes that I am convinced that I can do this.