My High Impact Regimen

Options

Replies

• elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Sounds like a random collection of exercises not a workout plan. If you are worried about losing weight, focus on your eating habits, you will never out-exercise a bad diet. If you have fitness goals, look into either a sport that sounds interesting, or a fitness plan that matches your goals (weight loss, endurance, strenght, etc).
    A workout plan happens to be exercises you put together correct? It's a plan to work out. One is free to add or remove whatever they want from said plan. I've already focused on my diet I track my calories and stick with goals. I don't have the means to get to any sports places or centers at the moment, I'm working with what I've got. This "plan" does meet my weight loss goal, and that is my main goal cardio and simple strength training.

So, if you do not want feedback, was there a reason for posting this?
    If the goal is to burn calories, anything that gets you moving would work. If the goal is to have a whole body workout, this is not it, because there is no upper to lower body balance.
    If the goal is to strenght train, this is not it, because there are much more efficient ways to get there.
    If the goal is something sustainable, this is not it, because no one can do this same intense cardio thing over and over again without (1) finally getting injured and (2) finally getting bored. Although injury will probably come first.
    This is not how you lose weight and make a lifestyle change, this plan is like crying "I am fat and want to lose weight NOW, summer is here and I need to look good in a bikini" while stomping your feet. Your heart is at the right place, but this is not how you will reach your goals.

Who said I didn't want feedback? My goal mostly is to burn said calories. Insanity is definitely a sustainable workout as well as running regularly, this will not be a yearly plan just one to work with during the summer. Injury is a possibility in all that you do. So of course I will be careful and rest as I said above. Boredom isn't that big a factor I'm regularly bored as is. However I do plan on incorporating dance as well as basketball into this regimen. Definitely has helped me to lose weight as I've also said above I've previously used parts of this plan and have lost over 40+ doing so. The lifestyle change definitely comes more so within and through the diet which I've already begun to change. And this plan doesn't cry anything besides "I need to lose weight. Period." The thought of a bikini hasn't crossed my mind. Simply not being revolted by my weight before getting in the shower will suffice for now. My heart is in the right place I'm well aware. But sitting around or the slow and steady approach won't get me their either.

• musicandarts
    musicandarts Posts: 187 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    If you want to lose weight, you could eat less instead of going for a very high intensity training program. How long have you been doing this? In my humble opinion, it is very hard to sustain such regimens over long periods. Slower rate of weight loss is more likely to be maintained.

• elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm almost 60, and I've done an hour of high intensity interval training everyday for over 3 months, followed a very strict protein diet religiously, and lost 60 pounds. Recently, I have needed to take a day off about every 10-14 days. Sometimes I try to do a zumba or yoga tape at home, but, I'm usually to tired. I realize that I wont be able to sustain this, and it's probably not the best approach, but I give up unless I see results. That's just the way I am. I have 30 more pounds to go,then I am going to OA to get help and support while I learn a healthy eating style. At that point, I also plan to incorporate strength training for definition and vanity as well as health. So far, I feel way better than. I have since I packed on the poundage. Friend me if you want to, and we can cheer each other on, and talk about concerns.
  • preciousgirl012
    preciousgirl012 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    The only comment I have is that your strength routine doesn't include much in the way of progression. If all you want to do is burn calories, you can just run more. If your goal is to increase strength, then you should include progressive resistance. For example: doing decline push-ups or push ups with resistance bands.

Thanks I'll definitely look both those exercises up!
  • preciousgirl012
    Options
    elize7 wrote: »
    Well, I'm almost 60, and I've done an hour of high intensity interval training everyday for over 3 months, followed a very strict protein diet religiously, and lost 60 pounds. Recently, I have needed to take a day off about every 10-14 days. Sometimes I try to do a zumba or yoga tape at home, but, I'm usually to tired. I realize that I wont be able to sustain this, and it's probably not the best approach, but I give up unless I see results. That's just the way I am. I have 30 more pounds to go,then I am going to OA to get help and support while I learn a healthy eating style. At that point, I also plan to incorporate strength training for definition and vanity as well as health. So far, I feel way better than. I have since I packed on the poundage. Friend me if you want to, and we can cheer each other on, and talk about concerns.

That's amazing congrats!!! I'm the same way. Progress is really key to my motivation. I know prolonged intense workouts are difficult to maintain. But for shedding pounds it gets the job done! In the future I'll look towards other activities to maintain wait. Certaintly can't do this while I'm in school. I'm friending you as we speak! :)
  • preciousgirl012
    Options
    If you want to lose weight, you could eat less instead of going for a very high intensity training program. How long have you been doing this? In my humble opinion, it is very hard to sustain such regimens over long periods. Slower rate of weight loss is more likely to be maintained.

I'm doing this as well, I've lost 10 pounds its exciting! This is over 1 month of eating healthy and very light exercise. This regimen will probably only be sustained for this summer as I hope to lose a bulk of wait in this time. Over the school year just daily gym visits or zumba will suffice honestly lol
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I admire your enthusiasm, but the people advising you here are a lot more experienced and knowledgable than you; you should heed their advice.

Instead of taking the critique to heart, think of what your motivation and a properly designed diet and exercise plan could accomplish! This is a huge opportunity for you to reach your goals faster and more easily than you could on your own.

I actually am looking into some of the advice I've been given, but critiques laced with sexist inuoendos aren't helpful in any way. I'm hoping to get helpful pointers though!

Sadly, I can't disagree with you there. My profile pic is pretty androgynous, and I often get quite different advice (and phrased very differently) than other women here, because a lot of people assume I'm a guy.

It would be interesting to change my profile pic to a wedding picture or swimsuit shot and see how people's reactions to me changed.
  • preciousgirl012
    Options
    I admire your enthusiasm, but the people advising you here are a lot more experienced and knowledgable than you; you should heed their advice.

Instead of taking the critique to heart, think of what your motivation and a properly designed diet and exercise plan could accomplish! This is a huge opportunity for you to reach your goals faster and more easily than you could on your own.

I actually am looking into some of the advice I've been given, but critiques laced with sexist inuoendos aren't helpful in any way. I'm hoping to get helpful pointers though!

Sadly, I can't disagree with you there. My profile pic is pretty androgynous, and I often get quite different advice (and phrased very differently) than other women here, because a lot of people assume I'm a guy.

It would be interesting to change my profile pic to a wedding picture or swimsuit shot and see how people's reactions to me changed.

Yeah I don't think it's fair to assume all women are just here to look good in a bathing suit wedding dress or appeal to men in general. Everyone is on here for different reasons, reasons you can't simply grasp by their sex or age.

That would be a fun experiment though! Lol I feel if a male is gungho about some killer workout it's cool and interesting if a woman does it it's wayyyy to dangerous or not possible.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

Yeah I don't think it's fair to assume all women are just here to look good in a bathing suit wedding dress or appeal to men in general. Everyone is on here for different reasons, reasons you can't simply grasp by their sex or age.

That would be a fun experiment though! Lol I feel if a male is gungho about some killer workout it's cool and interesting if a woman does it it's wayyyy to dangerous or not possible.

Oh dear. I am a woman OP. I had been 19. And hated my body. And said all the things you are now saying. And I had friends. Who hated their bodies. And said all the things you are saying. And I have a daughter a bit younger than you. And I am hearing her talk to her friends. It is not sexism, and I do not even understand why it is negative. You want to lose weight. You think slow and steady will not work, you need to maximise calorie burn NOW. You think you look disgusting when you look in the mirror.
    I am saying that (1) even if you are 200 lbs overweight you are 19 and are beautiful, and no, I do not need to see pics, all teenagers look beautiful, even though very few realise it. The confidence you get from loving your body, it will give you posture and attitude that will make you look better than any diet and workout regime, so work on this. It is sad to read words as "revolted" by body/weight, especially at your age.
    And (2) have you ever heard the term "yoyo dieting"? Do you think that anyone ever said, "now I am going to yoyo diet", for real? Of course not. It always is "I want to see results fast, and I want them now" and then end up with a plan that simply is not sustainable. If you want to know how your plan will work, think of maintenace: How many calories are you eating? Is this sustainable and for how long? How long can you commit to this type of exercise and for what purpose? If you had started with "I love to hop around, this high impact regime is givign me so much energy", you would have gotten different kind of answer. But you did not chose a routine or sport that you love and you did not decide into a lifestyle you can maintain for the next years. You googled for the exercises and programs and challenges that appear to be "hard" and promise "fast" results and then put them all together to get even faster results. This is not sustainable, it is desperate. At only 19, stop thinking about "I am X lbs above where I want to be and need to change this today". Think of "I am only 19, have all my life ahead of me, what sport, class, routine sounds fun to try so I can change my lifestyle".
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Simple critiques and advice are a blessing.

Which you've had. There's no structure, no clear objective, no progression and no opportunity for recovery.

I'd also observe that you mention eating clean/ safe. In the context of weight loss it's only being in calorie deficit that's significant. Playing withe the relative balance of proteins/ carbs and fats is only really important if you have a medical condition or specific sports outcome objectiives
    Any thoughts on how I should incorporate said structured progressive strength training? lol

Identify a plan, and follow it.

Given that you're talking about bodyweight then I'd personally suggest You Are Your Own Gym or Body By You.

Similarly from a running perspective, short runs every day aren't going to give you sustainable outcomes, following a plan like C25K then B210K will help you make progress.

Rest days are important, and doing the same thing every day is a sure route to stagnation, boredom and potentially injury.

C25K and YAYOG will give you six days per week, and clearly identifiable progress.
  • preciousgirl012
    Options

Oh dear. I am a woman OP. I had been 19. And hated my body. And said all the things you are now saying. And I had friends. Who hated their bodies. And said all the things you are saying. And I have a daughter a bit younger than you. And I am hearing her talk to her friends. It is not sexism, and I do not even understand why it is negative. You want to lose weight. You think slow and steady will not work, you need to maximise calorie burn NOW. You think you look disgusting when you look in the mirror.
    I am saying that (1) even if you are 200 lbs overweight you are 19 and are beautiful, and no, I do not need to see pics, all teenagers look beautiful, even though very few realise it. The confidence you get from loving your body, it will give you posture and attitude that will make you look better than any diet and workout regime, so work on this. It is sad to read words as "revolted" by body/weight, especially at your age.
    And (2) have you ever heard the term "yoyo dieting"? Do you think that anyone ever said, "now I am going to yoyo diet", for real? Of course not. It always is "I want to see results fast, and I want them now" and then end up with a plan that simply is not sustainable. If you want to know how your plan will work, think of maintenace: How many calories are you eating? Is this sustainable and for how long? How long can you commit to this type of exercise and for what purpose? If you had started with "I love to hop around, this high impact regime is givign me so much energy", you would have gotten different kind of answer. But you did not chose a routine or sport that you love and you did not decide into a lifestyle you can maintain for the next years. You googled for the exercises and programs and challenges that appear to be "hard" and promise "fast" results and then put them all together to get even faster results. This is not sustainable, it is desperate. At only 19, stop thinking about "I am X lbs above where I want to be and need to change this today". Think of "I am only 19, have all my life ahead of me, what sport, class, routine sounds fun to try so I can change my lifestyle".

It is quite a hasty generalization, expecially as a woman yourself, to decide what reasons young women lose weight. I am not you nor your daughter, so its silly to think we will have the same thought process. And as you can see the bikini thing didn't go to smoothly for me. No slow and steady works, but it's not on my agenda very much and it's not for me. As you can see above other people lost weight differently, for some high intensity works the best and of course at some point they must decide to find a regimen they can then sustain. And that is my plan. I feel weight loss is something you must cater to yourself and your personality. Not everyone is going to lose weight the same, and no two journeys are identical!
    1) Beauty is in the eye of the beholder correct, I've always felt like that whole fine the way you are speech should be saved. Yes you're a beautiful person inside and out to ME, but if there is something in your power to change about yourself that will help you to see this beauty go for it you have my help and support. That is what should be said. And this is coming from someone who knows this is what I want to hear and this is what motivates me. I have a sibling with a PhD, in PT what makes you think I haven't heard the you're beautiful speech, that's all great, but he further goes on to say he's willing to help in anyway. The only reason I haven't gone to him for a perfect workout plan is that I thought "hey I have my fitness pal I'm sure to find helpful people on here" but there sure aren't as many as I thought now that I can see.

2) I've heard of this term, I'm not doing any yoyo fad diet. I simply eat healthy foods I like and whatever else I want under a certain number of calories and drink plenty of water, sounds sustainable to me. I can commit to this all summer. I feel like no one actually reads my replies Lol I said I have nothing to do and no means of transportation at the moment. Working out with my regimen is not a problem. The only challenge I Google'd was the squat challengedo after watching 20 plus videos of others stories and reviews on it. I was referred insanity a year ago, I know it works. And the squats and push ups were a part of my old regimen. So no, simply pulling things out of thin air is not what I did, why not use things that have been proven to work on your own body. And not to be all negative, but a very wonderful and prime time to lose weight is the teens to 20s, 30s I've done a tad bit of research and after that it's not too pretty or a walk in the park. I don't understand why people think trying to change others goals is possible. I know plenty of classes and sports that I want to take up, I've known this for some time. But for me initial weight needs to be lost, not just by playing around but by hard work. That may not be how you think but it is how I do.
  • preciousgirl012
    Options
    Simple critiques and advice are a blessing.

Which you've had. There's no structure, no clear objective, no progression and no opportunity for recovery.

I'd also observe that you mention eating clean/ safe. In the context of weight loss it's only being in calorie deficit that's significant. Playing withe the relative balance of proteins/ carbs and fats is only really important if you have a medical condition or specific sports outcome objectiives
    Any thoughts on how I should incorporate said structured progressive strength training? lol

Identify a plan, and follow it.

Given that you're talking about bodyweight then I'd personally suggest You Are Your Own Gym or Body By You.

Similarly from a running perspective, short runs every day aren't going to give you sustainable outcomes, following a plan like C25K then B210K will help you make progress.

Rest days are important, and doing the same thing every day is a sure route to stagnation, boredom and potentially injury.

C25K and YAYOG will give you six days per week, and clearly identifiable progress.

That's where the safe part comes to play, I do have a calorie deficit as well but not to big to where I'm starving myself.

And so I'm seeing everyone dismissing insanity is it not a good plan on it's own? I definitely have to look C25K and YAYOG up though.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    That's where the safe part comes to play, I do have a calorie deficit as well but not to big to where I'm starving myself.

So presumably you're then eating back what you expend in training? In which case your training is about outcomes, not about the weight loss.
    so I'm seeing everyone dismissing insanity is it not a good plan on it's own?

It's predominantly cardiovascular work, so it's useful to complement it with some resistance training of some kind as well. Even the strength sessions are largely CV. I would say that for me the propsect of prancing around in front of a DVD really doesn't appeal, but if you want to get good at Insanity then it's certainly the way to go. Running and bodyweight work is extensible. Once you've got to comfortbaly running 5k/ 30 minutes then you have options, with many taking that up to 10K. Personally I run half marathon distance at the moment.

To put things in context, yesterday was a beautiful day. I ran 5km out to the local woods, taking my suspension trainer system with me. Hung it from a tree and did a thirty minute resistance training session before running home. You don't get that kind of option if you're tied to watching a DVD.
  • preciousgirl012
    Options

So presumably you're then eating back what you expend in training? In which case your training is about outcomes, not about the weight loss.

It's predominantly cardiovascular work, so it's useful to complement it with some resistance training of some kind as well. Even the strength sessions are largely CV. I would say that for me the propsect of prancing around in front of a DVD really doesn't appeal, but if you want to get good at Insanity then it's certainly the way to go. Running and bodyweight work is extensible. Once you've got to comfortbaly running 5k/ 30 minutes then you have options, with many taking that up to 10K. Personally I run half marathon distance at the moment.

To put things in context, yesterday was a beautiful day. I ran 5km out to the local woods, taking my suspension trainer system with me. Hung it from a tree and did a thirty minute resistance training session before running home. You don't get that kind of option if you're tied to watching a DVD.

Eating less than what's recommended daily as a norm, 2000 right, and then exercising at least half as much calories I intake. Hope that makes sense lol

I actually just completed day one of c25k, I must say I do enjoy it thus far. Insanity is it times a tad brutal, and definitely increased my muscle mass whilst burning fat. I was a bit too muscley for my liking though. I don't mind videos they're pretty simple while not being too easy and their is progression. My hopes in the end is just to get to a place where playing basketball with friends or running around the city is more possible and easy. Nothing major. My main goal is weight loss though.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Eating less than what's recommended daily as a norm, 2000 right, and then exercising at least half as much calories I intake. Hope that makes sense lol

I actually just completed day one of c25k, I must say I do enjoy it thus far. Insanity is it times a tad brutal, and definitely increased my muscle mass whilst burning fat. I was a bit too muscley for my liking though. I don't mind videos they're pretty simple while not being too easy and their is progression. My hopes in the end is just to get to a place where playing basketball with friends or running around the city is more possible and easy. Nothing major. My main goal is weight loss though.

Where on earth did you get the idea that you need to burn at least half as many calories as you intake? No, no, no.... Just no! That's ridiculous!

And you didn't build muscle doing insanity....
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    this sounds like a recipe for burn out …

no barbell /compound movements??
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

this is the perfect example as to why people should not design their own programs…

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

First, are you saying you have a goal of 2000? And if yes, where did this number come from?
    Second, are you trying to burn 1000 and net only 1000? Why?
    In brief, no, it makes absolutely no sense.
    And third, are you saying that you believe you are at 1000 net calories, but at the same time putting on muscle mass by doing insanity?
    If you were having 1000 calories net per day, you would be losing very fast. And after a while your health would be suffering. So, most probably you are way overestimating your burns.
    As for muscle mass, with the exercises you mentioned, the chance of putting on muscle are slim. Definitely not while also trying to lose weight.

• preciousgirl012
    Options

Where on earth did you get the idea that you need to burn at least half as many calories as you intake? No, no, no.... Just no! That's ridiculous!

I was exageratting lol not really half I'd say 1/8th, well I built something the scale was going up but my waist size and everything else was going down.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I was exageratting lol not really half I'd say 1/8th, well I built something the scale was going up but my waist size and everything else was going down.

You lost fat, hence being able to see muscle tone and your waist going down, but you were retaining water because of the high impact nature of insanity.