Not losing on 1200 calories and exercise

Options

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    duhneece wrote: »
    I'm measuring and weighing to the point I may be making my family mildly insane.
    I am eating back exercise calories up to 50% of the time.

I agree with upping exercise. My BMR is 1343 sedentary.

+/- 10% or worse so could be 1200

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'll just post this here, with thanks to @lemonlionheart

t6xq79lo6px0.jpg

PLEASE can we make this a sticky!

I heart this so hard.
  • duhneece
    duhneece Posts: 6 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    +4
    Forget I even asked.
    Good grief.
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    jkal1979 wrote: »
    That flowchart...

05-BILL-MURRAY-CLAPPING.gif

+2.

+3.
    + + + saving this!
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    A whole week?
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I'm meticulous with my logging, if I make a recipe I get everything logged down to a shake of salt.
    Clearly my metabolism has changed over the past 3 plus years as in the first weeks back then I was losing up to 2 lbs a week. My body shape has changed to where it's all down in my lower abdomen and thighs, prior it was even all over with less in my abdomen than now.

Clearly you do not understand metabolism.

• mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    If you are truly meticulous in your logging and are really eating 1200 cal and not losing, you need to go see your doctor to rule out any issues that may be affecting the calories out part of weight loss. I am 44, 5" and 185b (so weigh more then you) and I can lose about 1.5 lbs a week at 1500 calories. Since I'm assuming you weigh less, you may need a little less, but with that little to lose, you should have your goal set at .5lbs/wk, which should give you more calories.
  • duhneece
    duhneece Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Actually I DO understand my metabolism. Hormones are an issue for me since I am in perimenopause, taking estrogen and I have PCOS which can coincide with a metabolic disorder at any age. May or may not be part of my issue right now but to say I don't understand is incorrect at best.

Everyone can kindly skip this thread now. I'll be having it removed.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    While I agree with the advice to double check / tighten up on logging, it's only been a week from what I read. If she's sure of her logging, this is just a "give it time" thing.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Actually I DO understand my metabolism. Hormones are an issue for me since I am in perimenopause, taking estrogen and I have PCOS which can coincide with a metabolic disorder at any age. May or may not be part of my issue right now but to say I don't understand is incorrect at best.

The information you provided above would have been extremely useful if divulged in your OP. You seem to be offended by one or more answers, but I'm not sure why. I recommend reviewing the flow chart that was posted and having more patience. It isn't a race to the finish line!
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

The information you provided above would have been extremely useful if divulged in your OP. You seem to be offended by one or more answers, but I'm not sure why. I recommend reviewing the flow chart that was posted and having more patience. It isn't a race to the finish line!

I agree. There is some good info here, including the flow chart.

My guess is that the one statement above about clearly not understanding metabolism is the problem. And that I why I get angry sometimes at the snarky, one sentence statements that do nothing more than belittle. Maybe I could understand if we were 3 pages in and OP was fighting everything. But we are on page one, and now OP doesn't even want to participate any more.

Just my 2 cents.

• ihatetodietalways
    ihatetodietalways Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Im 44 years old, 3 1/2 years ago I lost 30 lbs in 4 months doing the same things I've been doing this week. My goal is to lose 16lbs, what I've gained since my 30lb loss.
    I'm on 1200 Cals a day, very low fat, higher protein and on point for carbs. I jog a 12 min mile each day, do misc other exercises (low impact) and every other day I've done some mild weight exercises for arms, squats and leg raises for abs. I haven't lost an ounce, see no difference in my clothes. All foods I eat are not processed, lots of fruits, veggies, lean meat. What is the problem? I wonder if perimenopause and low dose estrogen is having an effect. Very frustrated.

Yes, but if she has taken in less calories than she burns, she should see a loss. No? According to CICO, yes!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options

Eating fat helps with hormonal balance doesn't it? And women with pcos seem to manage better with lower carb and higher fat diets from what I understand.... Someone with pcos may be able to confirm this or suggest otherwise
  • se612
    se612 Posts: 3 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Reaching your stage can be hard but just keep pushing through it! It will take longer this time but you can do it. Try mixing up your workouts, sometimes the body can get used to low impact exercise, or light jogs for a long period of time. So when you eat, this makes the body store more energy for these expected exercises. Try HIT workouts, very high intensity every so often, doesn't have to be for long, but it will definitely help. Good luck :)

Ps. Also take into account what type of calories you are eating. For example, your body works harder to ingest 200 calories of nuts, than 200 calories of chocolate x
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

@duhneece Just because you are perimenopausal and have PCOS doesn't mean you defy science. You lose weight the same way the average Joe does- a calorie deficit.
  • Stark0621
    Stark0621 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    kjurassic wrote: »
    Most likely it's inaccurate logging of food. I walk/run usually 4-6 miles a day about 5 or more days per week. Resistance band training 2- times per week. It's NOT perimenopause/low dose estrogen. (I'm 60 yrs old!)

I'm impressed, however, With all due respect, that's not typical for the everyday 60 year old.
  • ihatetodietalways
    Options

@duhneece Just because you are perimenopausal and have PCOS doesn't mean you defy science. You lose weight the same way the average Joe does- a calorie deficit.

No she doesn't.
  • ihatetodietalways
    Options
    You may do well with a lower carb, higher fat, moderate protein diet.
  • 85kurtz
    85kurtz Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Im 44 years old, 3 1/2 years ago I lost 30 lbs in 4 months doing the same things I've been doing this week. My goal is to lose 16lbs, what I've gained since my 30lb loss.
    I'm on 1200 Cals a day, very low fat, higher protein and on point for carbs. I jog a 12 min mile each day, do misc other exercises (low impact) and every other day I've done some mild weight exercises for arms, squats and leg raises for abs. I haven't lost an ounce, see no difference in my clothes. All foods I eat are not processed, lots of fruits, veggies, lean meat. What is the problem? I wonder if perimenopause and low dose estrogen is having an effect. Very frustrated.

I have not had any loss at all for 6 weeks. I weigh all my intake and exercise 6 times a week. I stuck with it and today got on the scales and I have lost .7 of a kilo. Not much I know but it is a loss. I guess what I am saying is stick with it. Think of this as a list style change rather than a weight loss journey. BTW I have no ovaries and no thyroid so yes it is hard but not impossible. Your hormones could be playing a part in this. Keep on going with your new plan. Good luck.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,906 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Are you logging your fruit and veg? I ask because some people don't ... but those things can add up.

Also, how long have you been doing this ... it took me 10 days before I saw any loss whatsoever.