Weekly cal goal or daily

Do you watch your overall weekly goal or just daily? Because I started watch my weekly goal so sometimes I've got like 900cal to spare on the last day of the week. I'm wondering that'll actually make me gain weight. I started the weekly goal thing and I've been gaining weight so I'm wondering if that's the cause.

Replies

• kickassbarbie
    kickassbarbie Posts: 286 Member
    Being 900 under calorie goal per week certainly won't make you gain weight! How long have you been gaining? Have you changed anything else aside from swapping daily total for a weekly one?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Wingg_ wrote: »
    Do you watch your overall weekly goal or just daily? Because I started watch my weekly goal so sometimes I've got like 900cal to spare on the last day of the week. I'm wondering that'll actually make me gain weight. I started the weekly goal thing and I've been gaining weight so I'm wondering if that's the cause.

You won't GAIN weight from eating in a deficit... How long have you been maintaining?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Weekly here.

You can't gain weight at a deficit so you're probably either overestimating your activity, or underestimating your food intake.
  • Wingg_
    Wingg_ Posts: 395 Member
    Being 900 under calorie goal per week certainly won't make you gain weight! How long have you been gaining? Have you changed anything else aside from swapping daily total for a weekly one?

I'll eat back the 900cal on the last day of the week. Other than that I have changed from eating pork tenderloin to pork shoulder ...
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    I watch my daily goal, because I am attempting even calorie intake/burn.
  • faithyang
    faithyang Posts: 297 Member
    Haha daily when I'm meeting it, weekly when I've blown a day for some reason or the other. :wink:
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    I count and track my caloric intake. I'm on a restrictive Medical Weight Loss Plan; which consists of drinking 2 protein shakes, eating one protein bar and then cooking a meal and trying to keep it under 550 calories. I've been very surprised at being able to do this and I have not gone over my caloric intake, except on weekends when my husband cooks a larger breakfast than he does during the week. For my meal I will track what I 'think' I will eat for that meal and then adjust it up or down depending on what I actually eat. I spent half the afternoon putting up single servings of various meats in the freezer so I can eat my biggest meal in the middle of the day; and stay on track to keep my overall caloric intake to 960 calories set by my MD to lose weight. I get weighed-in again tomorrow; but 2 weeks ago I had lost 7lbs in 2 weeks. I'm hoping for good results this time, too.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    I track daily knowing I'll go over one or two days. I'm always under for the week - in the summer usually by well over 1000 calories, in the winter by a few hundred. I do not roll over weeks. For me, that road would lead to weight gain.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Weekly-I eat a little under my maintenance calories during the week and then a bit over on the weekends. It all evens out :)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Lately I've been going by weekly goal, it's working nicely for me :smile:
  • Bizurke51
    Bizurke51 Posts: 190 Member
    as of now i go by daily, but for long term maintaining I'll probably switch to week.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    I do both. I export everything into excel and use a 5-day average but I watch the dailies as well The 5 day average allows me to balance when I need to travel for work and or when I have something special (i.e. a wedding) to attend.
    Been doing that for the last 500+ days and am now comparing year on year on calorie goals. I have been tracking my exercise (number of minutes) for longer I been that in a graph covering 3.5 years.
    I find those graphs hugely inspiring :-)
  • Wingg_
    Wingg_ Posts: 395 Member
    Weekly-I eat a little under my maintenance calories during the week and then a bit over on the weekends. It all evens out :)

How long have you been tracking weekly goal??
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    I do both. I export everything into excel and use a 5-day average but I watch the dailies as well The 5 day average allows me to balance when I need to travel for work and or when I have something special (i.e. a wedding) to attend.
    Been doing that for the last 500+ days and am now comparing year on year on calorie goals. I have been tracking my exercise (number of minutes) for longer I been that in a graph covering 3.5 years.

How do you export into Excel? I'd like to do something similar

• KBmoments
    KBmoments Posts: 193 Member
    The App shows you your weekly average and how close or far away you are from your weekly goal...it's a huge help.
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    I track mine monthly. Works for me.
  • Glossberg
    Glossberg Posts: 40 Member
    KBmoments wrote: »
    The App shows you your weekly average and how close or far away you are from your weekly goal...it's a huge help.

Where is it at in the app?
  • likehlikeo
    likehlikeo Posts: 185 Member
    weekly...the app makes it easy :)
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    SSC1958 wrote: »

How do you export into Excel? I'd like to do something similar

@SSC1958 I use https://www.designbyvh.com/myfitnesspal-export-data/
    it is exported to csv file which can be opened in excel, with copy and paste it then goes into my master file

• KBmoments
    KBmoments Posts: 193 Member
    Glossberg wrote: »
    KBmoments wrote: »

Where is it at in the app?

Go to Nutrition. And then at the bottom, you'll see Daily and Weekly tabs - click the Weekly and it gives you a nice layout!