Should You Force Yourself to Workout?

Options
2»

Replies

• jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I've never regretted a workout. Yes, some days I turn down the intensity when I'm not feeling it. I typically do a long run on Sundays, and last Sunday I just didn't want to so I walked for an hour on an incline. Slightly challenging, and increased the amount I could eat (which is always my goal!), but it didn't knock the wind out of me.
  • 10inprogress
    10inprogress Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    If it's just not feeling like it? Yes. It's all too easy to get into the habit of talking yourself out of more workouts once you've done it a few times. If as others have said, if you medically can't or need to heal then you know what your answer should be...and if you're well and don't want to you also know what your answer should be.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I go and have a less intense workout if I feel wore out but am eating right and taking my days off per schedule.

It is about building that habit, that discipline.

• kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    omma_to_3 wrote: »
    Honestly, if you've already built in rest days, and you're not injured, I would force myself to work out (I do, actually). Motivation is hard to come by sometimes, but I have never regretted a workout. I have regretted NOT working out.

This. I have scheduled rest days and scheduled workout days. The schedule is there to stop me being lazy and choosing not to train. Once I'm there I'm glad I went.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I usually have a conversation with myself. I have a list prepared - reason why I should work out. I use the list to talk myself into a workout (instead of talking myself out of one). Also why don't I want to work out? I try to separate excuses from reasons. Unless I have a valid reason to not work I force myself.

Maybe every 4 months or so a 5 year child takes over my head and yells I DON'T WANNA & YOU CAN'T MAKE ME and I skip. I would just call that my rest day and shift my workouts.
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I, personally, have to force myself to workout. Being "active" is not something I naturally want to do, yet...
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Yup it sure is worth forcing yourself to working out. There will be many a day you dont feel like working out and making excuses and doing *kitten* all isn't going to get your workout in. Getting into a routine and sticking to it is paramount in hitting your goals.
  • seachelle76
    seachelle76 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    If you're like me, then you have to force yourself to workout or you never will. If I'm legitimately exhausted or not feeling well, then I won't, however, most of the time I can't claim that.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Equus5374 wrote: »
    There are some days that I'm just not feeling it, but my brain tells me I should get out there and do something. I allow myself rest days but on other days when I have a workout/run scheduled, it's hard to push myself to do it. It's not all the time, just some days. Is it better to force yourself to workout or allow yourself to rest? I feel like I'm being lazy when I choose to rest.

Maybe it is a time for a change in what you are doing, if these days are not that rare? Find a new routine, or add something to your current routine to have some extra variety? Even if you have specific goals, joining the occasional class, going for a long walk or bike ride instead of a run, doing bodyweight exercises instead of lifting etc can help add some variety and give you something different to do on days when you are just not feeling like doing the usual things. Or maybe make a complete change for a while, like try cycling or swimming instead of running? Give yourself a break to make things more interesting?
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    It's different for me. I had a heart attack a year ago despite being fit and eating healthy . Daily exercise is a large part of resetting the time bomb in my chest. I do miss days, but have to have a very good reason to justify it to myself.
  • icemaiden37
    icemaiden37 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Farback wrote: »
    It's different for me. I had a heart attack a year ago despite being fit and eating healthy . Daily exercise is a large part of resetting the time bomb in my chest. I do miss days, but have to have a very good reason to justify it to myself.

Well that puts things into perspective!